The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-19-2004, 04:43 AM   #271
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

OK depmats. If I said to you - you are free to commit a murder. You can kill anyone you like. There will be no imposed punishment, jail sentence or other penalty. Go ahead.

What would you do?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 AM   #272
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is it possible to carry that same point back to the risks/outweighing the benefits. If i do x, and am caught there is a 60% chance i will spend 10 years in prison vs. if i do x, and get caught i WILL be executed.

No it isn't, you missed my point. What I am saying is that statistically the statement you made does NOT hold true for human psychology. Though it may make sense, it simply isn't what people respond to--the only statistic people psychologically respond to in any meaningful way is the chance they will get caught.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #273
depmats
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by Catwoman
OK depmats. If I said to you - you are free to commit a murder. You can kill anyone you like. There will be no imposed punishment, jail sentence or other penalty. Go ahead.

What would you do?
Fair question - but I haven't run into a situation yet where I would really benefit yet from someone else's death at my hands. There have been people that I would have liked to cause physical harm - but in each case I looked at what the long-term consequence would be to me. Jail? there goes my career.

I know that my view of acceptable punishment wouldn't eliminate crime. I believe it would lower crime rates though. The dead cannot cause injury to another. SOMe people will be deterred by the guarantee of severe penalty. But we would definitely thin the heard of those who do commit violent crimes. Murder and rape top my list of crimes worthy of execution... But as people have pointed out elsewhere I am just a thug.
depmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #274
Perry5
Do-er of Deeds

(The death penelty.)

Here in the fine state of Texas,U.S.A., the death penelty works just fine.

No convicted felon excecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:44 PM   #275
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

What if they were reincarnated and killed again? If you keep them in prison for a couple decades, you put that off for a while!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #276
Perry5
Do-er of Deeds

(Monkey.)

Iff a bull had calves you wouldn't need cows.

I did not believe in reincarnation the first couple of times i was here either.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #277
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Settle down, Beavis.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:44 AM   #278
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Re: (The death penelty.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry5
Here in the fine state of Texas,U.S.A., the death penelty works just fine.

No convicted felon excecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.
Rick Halperin, president of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, said Texas once again is inviting the scorn and ridicule of human rights observers from throughout the United States and around the world. “We have a Court of Criminal Appeals that does not even recognize the right of death row inmates to effective legal counsel during habeas appeals,” Halperin said. “We have a parole board that does not take seriously its statutory responsibility to hold legitimate clemency hearings. We have a governor who is beginning to look like he might upstage his predecessor as the state’s executioner-in-chief. We have a flawed and broken execution system in Texas, and even more tragically, there is no political will or moral leadership from either party in the state to stop and critically examine what is happening here.” - http://www.ncadp.org/html/may7.html

Sounds like you people down in Texas have everything going right for them. Since the death penalty is a state controlled policy the national government is going to let them handle it how they want to. The national government cannot take a stance because they need to be re-elected. I believe that it is morally acceptable to take the life of someone who has taken someone elses, but I would rather have the system be flawless unlike it is today. Texas is a state that seems to be doing things the wrong way, while other states like Illinois are trying to use a more intelligible approach on the subject, but then again morals and values differ for every single person so an overall conclusion that will make everyone happy is infeasible.
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:17 AM   #279
Perry5
Do-er of Deeds

There is no perfection in humanity.)

You are correct,there is no perfection in the Texas exsecution system,on the otherhand many convicted fellons sentenced to life in prison have gone on to kill again in prison.

(Nothing perfect about that either.)
Old 05-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #280
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Re: There is no perfection in humanity.)

Quote:
You are correct,there is no perfection in the Texas exsecution system,on the otherhand many convicted fellons sentenced to life in prison have gone on to kill again in prison.

Well if they are killing people in prison, isn't that just making more room for different criminals to come in?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:15 PM   #281
depmats
Major Inhabitant

Re: There is no perfection in humanity.)

Quote:

So quit wasting time and wack 'em sooner. The good news is that if they kill someone in prison... I know it won't be me.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #282
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

dude, don't tempt fate like that.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 PM   #283
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Who believes in fate anyway?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:44 AM   #284
depmats
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
dude, don't tempt fate like that.
Thanks for the warning, but if i end up there it is my own dumbass fault.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:10 AM   #285
Perry5
Do-er of Deeds

Re: Re: There is no perfection in humanity.)

Quote:
Originally posted by depmats

So quit wasting time and wack 'em sooner. The good news is that if they kill someone in prison... I know it won't be me.
Perhaps not today,but who knows when some lawyer may decide to stick his finger up your ass and turn you inside out.

To the lawyer the words ill eagle represent nothing more than a sick bird and outragious fees.