The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

There's only one way to find out . . . .
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbulu View Post
If I accidentally swallow this, will it join the big pile of gum in my stomach and block up my stomach and make me dead?
Yes, it will lodge right next to the fingernails that are hanging out in your appendix (my 7th grade science teacher actually told me that one!) :p
Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
manephelien
Smooth Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Wasn't birch bark used as a pain killer at some time during human history? Is it possible someone had a tooth ache and was chewing on it for relief?
Not birch bark, but willow bark certainly. The scientific name of various willow species is Salix, and from the bark you get salicylic acid, which is further treated chemically to make acetylsalicylic acid which is used in Aspirin.

My grandmother told me that as a kid she and her friends used to chew on pine resin. She was born in 1913 and there was little candy, never mind chewing gum available.

Xylitol is birch sugar, refined from birch sap. It is used as a sweetener in sugarfree gum, and has the property of combating caries rather than causing it.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've chewed pine resin. Ya gotta get it good and dirty before it stops sticking to your teeth.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Wasn't birch bark used as a pain killer at some time during human history? Is it possible someone had a tooth ache and was chewing on it for relief?
This is exactly what was being theorized by the archaeologist who was doing the interview.

Last edited by Elspode; 08-21-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Wrong tree, and someone else beat me to it.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuancoRocks View Post
lumberjim
Looks like an old cat turd. ^^^^:p :p
are you laughing because it looks like it says" lumberjim looks like an old cat turd"? or because you thought it was funny?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #22
Cloud

and what will archeologists of the future think of the Gum Wall in Pike's Place Market in Seattle, I wonder?
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #23
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
are you laughing because it looks like it says" lumberjim looks like an old cat turd"? or because you thought it was funny?
I hadn't thought about it that way.......But....Originally it was the latter.....
Looking back at it.....Either one works.....They both made me laugh.......As this has.....:p

Last edited by JuancoRocks; 08-22-2007 at 12:47 AM.
JuancoRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
Karenv
Slacker

Quote:
Actually birch bark is still used as a pain killer and it contains the same essential oils as wintergreen, which operates topically, on a different principle than willow bark. Willow bark is like aspirin and works better internally as a tea or tincture. Birch bark is still chewed as a dentifrice by Native Americans. It also contains anti-cancer compounds and chaga, a mushroom that grows on birch trees and incorporates the oils is the strongest of the anti-cancer medicinal mushrooms.

No reason to think that primitive people were any less intelligent than us. We adapt to a different database, but few of us could survive living off of the land, hunting, modifying natural substances for food, medicines and tools. Cooking it to a tar isn't farfetched- ever see how taro is processed by the Amazonians. Taro, their staple food, is poisonous unless processed.

In fact since wild animals are invariably more intelligent than their domesticated cousins, it could be that we are less intelligent. (Thank heavens we can cover it up by googling.)
Karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #25
beauregaardhooligan
Elite Elitist

Poi, which is made from taro, is a staple of Hawaiian food.
Taro isn't technically poisonous but has lots of indigestible fiber which could make you really sick and possibly die.
There are also taro chips available at health food stores that are made just like potato chips. I've had them, and they are really good.
beauregaardhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote