The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #91
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well hell, that's because you look Mexican.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #92
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Hypothesis testing

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #93
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

If the economy sucks, people are defaulting on their mortgages, and employment is high, why do the Phillies sell out the ball park every game?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #94
Griff
still says videotape

They are still issuing credit cards.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #95
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I read this as "They were taut at a young age, when they were alter boys."

Which is also gross.
Reminds me of the altar boys football team, start out as a tight end and become a wide receiver...

Which is also gross, too.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #96
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
They are still issuing credit cards.
Boy, that's not very reassuring.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #97
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

What's been mildly perplexing me, ever since America decided to "police the world," is, well...

How can freedom, be freedom, if it's forced by an outside governing body, and the use of military power?
How can democracy be democracy, if it's forced by an outside governing body, and the use of military power?
How can diplomacy be diplomacy, if it's forced by an outside governing body, and the use of military power?

Shouldn't these be chosen by the populous, by the country itself? You believe, just because they're under the rule of an oppressive, over-bearing dictatorship, any country has the right to determine what they want, what they need, and how best to give it to them? No, sir, I do not agree, and it perplexes me, to no end, that people actually DO think it's the right course of action.

Much like charity - Now, as much as I think it's a great thing, that larger countries give (I live in England... We're about as charitable as an outside country can get!) I also believe it hinders, rather than helps, the countries wherein charity is given. The more money we throw at them, the less able they will ever be to create their own future. What right do we have, to create it for them? Why should we shape them, in our own image? (Much like we're trying to shape countries like Iraq, and Afghanistan, in our own image, because we disagree with their internal politics, as well as internal culture, despite the fact that we have no actual right, political, or societal, to do so.)

Many countries started out in similar positions to, say, certain African nations... They rose above it, they overcame the nature of their land... And because of it, they became bigger, stronger, better nations. If we keep throwing money, people, and technology, to these under-developed nations, they'll never have the chance, ability, will, or want, to rise above the nature of their land.

Countries around the world (not just America, but all busy-body countries, like my own, too, that are under the false sense of doing a good deed,) need to mind their own countries, and leave others to discover, for themselves, who they are, as a nation, as well as where they wish to stand on a global economic/industrial scale.

There are plenty of poor, destitute people, within our own countries, that are over-looked, because it's easier to look outward, than inward... and this is something that really needs to be re-considered.

I understand the desire to help, to make better the world around us... but what about the world closer to home? How can we help those beyond our borders, when those WITHIN our borders, are ignored, over-looked, and crying for help, themselves?

How can we actually help ANYONE, if they are unwilling to help themselves? (Within and beyond our own national borders.)

Why SHOULD we help countries that are not our own? That is not a selfish, or cruel stand-point... it is a true stand-point. If people, places, and cultures, are not allowed to evolve on their own terms, how will they ever survive? We throw religion at them, we throw the idea of OUR government at them, we throw the ideals of OUR societies at them... how will they evolve, as a nation, as a people, with their own identity, if this is what we do?

We throw money at them, so we feel better about our own lives... not to help them.

I find it to be a despicable tactic, to be honest. We're one step short of simply invading these countries, and enforcing our way of life on them... rather than trying to convince them of our way of life, through "charity," and "trades agreements."

Invading Iraq, Afghanistan... Charitable aid to Africa... The desired end result is the same, and the damage done, too, is the same... It's simply another name for the same process - Assimilation of a culture, to better fit how WE believe a country, or, rather, the entire world, should be.

This was not intended as a rant. Sorry about that, but it just so perplexing, to me, that the world sits by, thinking we're doing GOOD DEEDS, by invading, or throwing money at, countries that we're simply trying to bring in line with our own system of politics, beliefs, etc...
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #98
Cloud

who stole the box of CDs out of my car?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #99
Pie
Gone and done

Chode! You're back!!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #100
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Do not buy a red couch... It may be cool in the store...but later turn into an eyesore... Definitely do not buy a 900.00 red couch! Here in SF you can't buy a decent couch for less than a 1000 unless it's used. Ugggg....
OK now show us which sofa..
Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #101
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Chode! You're back!!
This is perplexing me, today.

I didn't think anyone even noticed me, whilst here, let alone whilst gone!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #102
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

BS. I've been rereading your post above for 2 days. I agree with much of it.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #103
Pie
Gone and done

I mentioned you in the APB thread, iirc.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #104
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

So what's going on with um, what's his name. xoxoxoBruce?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #105
monster
I hear them call the tide

he eloped with ducksnuts