The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-01-2003, 11:37 PM   #46
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

Hermit22 -
The reason you are having to decipher what I'm saying is because you have blocked out the statement from 99 44/100... that prompted me to say what I said. He was talking solely about the "more than ones" who consider themselves to be one race and ignore the other(s). See?

There are obvious trends that people are being hired on qualifications only, but quotas are stopping the natural trend and reducing minorities to a "token" status that keeps them perpetually unequal by conveying that minorities can't get hired on their own...and we deserve better than that!

No one forced you to say, "I would believe you."
You shouldn't have said it then.

Excuse me! There already are a lot of Blacks, Feminists, Gays, and Hispanics who vote Republican because they want equality...I should know, my whole family consists of those groups of people!
You forget that discrimination has always been a Democratic platform...Oh, they now talk the talk to fool the ones who don't pay attention. But honestly, what action have they taken other than playing the race card and widening the divide?!?!
Democrats pander to activist groups who don't want equality, they want special treatment not equal!

The main reason Blacks, Hispanics, and Feminists vote Republican is American family values. The Democrats are on a tear to ruin the American family on all issues!
Also, Feminists know that Republicans don't have this "hidden agenda" to abolish abortion, if that were true, Reagan was the one to do it, he didn't.
Republicans wish to stop 7,8,9 month along fetuses
from murder, which most women agree by that time it is, because we have seen sonograms.
And gays are realizing that 8 years of Clinton left them pretty much empty handed, but 1 year of President Bush got them unmarried companion beneficiary compensation status!
If you cared to educate yourself on the actions, not words, of both parties...you would vote Republican too!

The biggest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the World that he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze
Cairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:09 AM   #47
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

When you assume . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Cairo
. . .you have blocked out the statement from 99 44/100...He was talking solely about . . .
Er, I'm somewhat new around here, but even I know when to step out of the way when the shit starts to fly unrestricted, so I've pretty much stopped reading any posts by these two fueding banshees. However, I did feel that I must correct Cairo's assumption that I am male, an assumption, based, no doubt, on the sexist hegemony of the white male-dominated culture we are all forced (forced, I say!) to endure in this country.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:26 AM   #48
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

99, you forgot to put Protestant in there.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #49
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
99, you forgot to put Protestant in there.
Yeah. Don't forget them. You know how those protestants are.

Especially the Episcopalians. They're the worst.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #50
elSicomoro

Nah, the Baptists are the absolute worst...Episcopalians are somewhere down the line, probably after Methodists.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #51
perth
Strong Silent Type

not by a long shot. the absolute worst denomination is 'nondenominational'. go to a nondenominational church sometime. fucking nuts.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:52 PM   #52
warch
lurkin old school

Passive Agressive Presbyterians. Its all predestined folks.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:12 PM   #53
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

99 44/100% pure -
My sincere apologies...I just did to you what people always do to me...not recognizing a strong woman. I don't know how I missed the signs in your posts of an intelligent strong woman, now I see them. But this has nothing to do with " the white male-dominated culture", it has to do with me not paying attention...and I know better because it also happens to me. I slacked, I apologize.

The biggest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the World that he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze
Cairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #54
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Hermit22 -
The reason you are having to decipher what I'm saying is because you have blocked out the statement from 99 44/100... that prompted me to say what I said. He was talking solely about the "more than ones" who consider themselves to be one race and ignore the other(s). See?
Nope. Guess my 'liberal education' doesn't allow me to. Instead, I see some examples I gave of someone with Hispanic and European heritage that you responded to with something rather unintelligible.
Quote:

There are obvious trends that people are being hired on qualifications only, but quotas are stopping the natural trend and reducing minorities to a "token" status that keeps them perpetually unequal by conveying that minorities can't get hired on their own...and we deserve better than that!
I've talked about this extensively on my blog, so I'll keep my response short.

If affirmative action wasn't in place, would society keep people perpetually unequal? That's all affirmative action tries to do. I don't disagree that the program should be re-examined (all social programs should be from time to time; it keeps them effective), but I haven't seen any reason to end it, nor a good replacement. And yet studies continue to be released that show minorities make 50-60% to every $1 whites make. They deserve better than that.

Quote:

No one forced you to say, "I would believe you."
You shouldn't have said it then.
See, here's the problem: you didn't show me any proof. You showed me a few people whining about how a bigot was treated. That's not all that credible.
Show me Lott's actions that were in contradiction to his long-standing voting record, and I'll believe you. But you and I both know that those don't exist.

Quote:

Excuse me! There already are a lot of Blacks, Feminists, Gays, and Hispanics who vote Republican because they want equality...I should know, my whole family consists of those groups of people!
Of course there are. But if you look at a broad sampling of these groups (except maybe Hispanics), the majority of them don't vote Republican because the rhetoric doesn't match their ideology or lifestyle. I have several friends who are gay or feminist that won't vote Republican precisely because of the actions and words of the party's leaders. So whose primary sources are more relative? Neither, really, when the quantitative data has its own results.

Quote:

You forget that discrimination has always been a Democratic platform...Oh, they now talk the talk to fool the ones who don't pay attention. But honestly, what action have they taken other than playing the race card and widening the divide?!?!
Democrats pander to activist groups who don't want equality, they want special treatment not equal!
Civil Rights Act and the failed Equal Rights Amendment, which was defeated by Reagan, would be a couple pretty good examples of Democratic action.
Democrats used to be the party of bigots and misogynists. Now their only real refuge is a wing of the Republican party.
Quote:

Also, Feminists know that Republicans don't have this "hidden agenda" to abolish abortion, if that were true, Reagan was the one to do it, he didn't.
Republicans wish to stop 7,8,9 month along fetuses
from murder, which most women agree by that time it is, because we have seen sonograms.
Nope. That agenda's right out in the open.
(http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/02/politics/02ABOR.html)

And what a bunch of generalities! My god..."the Democrats" "Feminists" "most women"....how do you know that Feminists (with no qualifier, so as to imply that the majority of Feminists think this way) know this? Or that most women have this idea about murder?
Opinion poll have consistently shown around 2/3 of the population supporting a pro-choice stance. Just to let you know.

Quote:

And gays are realizing that 8 years of Clinton left them pretty much empty handed, but 1 year of President Bush got them unmarried companion beneficiary compensation status!
I've never heard of this, although I know that there were several bills introduced during Clinton's time that got killed. Could you show me whatever it is you're talking about? I honestly don't pay too close attention to homosexual legislation, but I would think I'd have heard of something like this.
Quote:

If you cared to educate yourself on the actions, not words, of both parties...you would vote Republican too!
I doubt it. Republicans are still the party of the wealthy, and, despite the shift away from it, Democrats are still the party of the downtrodden. And that's despite the false rhetoric you're spewing here.
There's also the large pro-war, anti-abortion, anti-environment, anti-gay, pro-big business, etc. etc. stances that push me away from the Republican Party.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:52 PM   #55
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
99 44/100% pure -
My sincere apologies...
Apology heartily accepted. I hope you will be as forgiving when you note that I refer to you as an "unseemly idiot" in a nearby thread. While my rebuke was not uncalled for, perhaps kinder words could have been used.

Can't you and Radar just turn down the volume a bit, so we can all hear ourselves think? Or maybe you could just argue one point at a time?

Thanks.

Last edited by 99 44/100% pure; 01-02-2003 at 07:56 PM.
99 44/100% pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #56
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by hermit22
Republicans are still the party of the wealthy, and, despite the shift away from it, Democrats are still the party of the downtrodden.
Now, I know I dont get out much, but I just cant see that statement as being true. I was making a good living pre 911 but I've never been considered rich.

I also try to avoid big business but I dont think they are "evil" or corrupt, just a pain in my ass.

I'm not anti- gay, black, or minority.

I do think that unions are just plain fuking useless though

Last edited by slang; 01-02-2003 at 08:21 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #57
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
not by a long shot. the absolute worst denomination is 'nondenominational'. go to a nondenominational church sometime. fucking nuts.
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."--Rush
Old 01-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #58
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 44/100% pure
Or maybe you could just argue one point at a time?
Well, obviously HB didn't school you well enough on Cellar etiquette! Arguing less than 5 points at one time is a sign of weakness. Please make a note of it.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #59
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Well, obviously HB didn't school you well enough on Cellar etiquette! Arguing less than 5 points at one time is a sign of weakness. Please make a note of it.
(slang flips through Radar's book "how to debate ineffectively")

Also, never acknowlege anyone is even partially correct and keep the debate going even if it is reduced to proving the sky is blue.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #60
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

Now, I know I dont get out much, but I just cant see that statement as being true. I was making a good living pre 911 but I've never been considered rich.

I also try to avoid big business but I dont think they are "evil" or corrupt, just a pain in my ass.

I'm not anti- gay, black, or minority.

I do think that unions are just plain fuking useless though
Ok, I should clarify. I don't necessarily mean that the ranks of the Republican party favor the rich, etc. - I just mean that the party's platform and the actions of many of its leaders do so. And the Democrats are quickly losing points in my book on this matter.