The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 2,916
Should you believe in climate change?

"This is very hard for scientists to understand. The scientific evidence that humanity is having an effect on the climate is overwhelming and increasing every year. Yet public perception of this is confused."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-believe-in-it
__________________


Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 18,116
You don't have to believe in the ocean, but if you jump in it, you're going to get wet.
__________________
the internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously? - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
I believe for every drop of rain that falls...

what foot said.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I believe for every drop of rain that falls...
An extremist talk show host recently interviewed an MBA who counts raindrops. By reporting those counts on his spread sheets, he proved global cooling is now happening.

You too can count rain drops to prove scientists are wrong. As Costello said, "What do they know."
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002


Or as Kim Basinger once infamously said: Neil Simon? What does he know about comedy?"
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
Or you can just walk between the raindrops.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 24,185
Quote:
a number of possible contributory factors: the move from being a science issue to a political issue may have introduced more distrust
This is one of the things I find most shocking.
I expect that in 50-100 years plus, those deriding the facts of climate change will look at ridiculous as the opponents of Darwin.

Oh, wait.
There are nutjobs out there who don't accept evolution to the extent they will not allow it to be taught to children. Still, at least they never qualify medically, due to their inability to grasp facts.

Oh, wait.

Sigh.
__________________
Life's hard you know, so strike a pose on a Cadillac
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phila Burbs
Posts: 20,773
I'm sorry, I've devoted my time to believing in Unicorns, Dragons, and Fairies. Don't have room for Climate Change.
__________________
wolf eht htiw og

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: above 7,000 feet
Posts: 7,208
Really? I think the dragons are mostly to blame.
__________________
Keep Your Bodies Off My Lawn

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
regular.joe
Старый сержант
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC, dreaming of large Russian women.
Posts: 1,464
It is amazing that the evidence for climate change and mans impact on the climate is overwhelming, yet there seems to be people who can argue the fact. I work with lots of guys who are staunch republicans and will argue that climate change is on a natural curve and mans impact is minimal.

I have a new project for myself though, I want to find out how many tons of waste products are put into the atmosphere by man made stuff, autos, planes, factories, homes etc...and put that into terms of how many volcanoes would have to erupt per week to match that output per week.
__________________
Birth, wealth, and position are valueless during wartime. Man is only judged by his character --Soldier's Testament.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: above 7,000 feet
Posts: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
...

I have a new project for myself though, I want to find out how many tons of waste products are put into the atmosphere by man made stuff, autos, planes, factories, homes etc...and put that into terms of how many volcanoes would have to erupt per week to match that output per week.
For electrical generation in the US, you can start with EPA's eGrid.

Of course, that's a limited sub-set of all the man-made emissions from all sources, and from around the world.
__________________
Keep Your Bodies Off My Lawn

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 63,743
A good article on the combined effect of climate change and peak oil.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
glatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 26,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
I have a new project for myself though, I want to find out how many tons of waste products are put into the atmosphere by man made stuff, autos, planes, factories, homes etc...and put that into terms of how many volcanoes would have to erupt per week to match that output per week.
I tried doing this myself a few years ago and posted the results here in the Cellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
volcanoes produce approximately 200 million tonnes of CO2 per year, while mankind produces about 26.8 billion tonnes (in 2003.) Even the largest eruption in recent times, Pinatubo in the Philippines, produced between 42 and 234 million tons of CO2. (1, 2) so even that year, volcanoes didn't come anywhere near producing the CO2 that mankind did.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 23,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
"This is very hard for scientists to understand. The scientific evidence that humanity is having an effect on the climate is overwhelming and increasing every year. Yet public perception of this is confused."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-believe-in-it
I believe it now, but the political argument was being forcefully made well before the evidence was in by folks with a preference for command economies. That is what caused the perception that it wasn't good science and what needs to be overcome now.
__________________
If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you.
- Louis D. Brandeis
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: above 7,000 feet
Posts: 7,208
I think part of the problem is that they initially used the term global warming, instead of climate change.
__________________
Keep Your Bodies Off My Lawn

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.