The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #61
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I could look at machines that told me my patient was just fine, all vitals good, but something else would nag at me about him/her and I would not believe the science in front of me and I was usually RIGHT.
Not blindly trusting machines is not the same thing as mistrusting 'science'.

Science doesn't pretend to know all the answers or to be infalllible.

And stop with 'you're smarter than me' bollocks. Because it is bollocks. The fact that someone disagrees with something you've said doesn't mean that you haven't said it in an articulate and well written way.

*slaps tril upside the head*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #62
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I haven't given this thread quite the read-through it deserves, but I have a couple pennies I'd like to throw in.

I think we're 'energy.' Maybe not the sort of energy we typically recognize...I haven't gotten very far on this particular theory.

But we are created from energy and when we die that energy goes back to the grand scheme.

So it is possible, in my dumb brain, that where we die, where we give the energy back, or who we were, how did we use our energy, goes a long way into determining where that energy goes next...or to what form.

I've long said I want to just be thrown into a hole in the ground in the forest, or buried at sea...the nutrients from a body nourishing all the critters and plants...but my own personal energy that I borrowed for my time here, has gone to something, or someone, else. It's neither created nor destroyed. Then, in my dumb brain, it is also possible to have some idea, some vague notion, of where your energy has been...did you take part of your energy from this and part from that?

It's how I explain what people call 'old souls'; people who seem to understand and bear some of the weight of millions of years. There just might be an inclination to recover such energy memories, if the energy is an intuitive set that has evolved over the years.

Oh hell, I can't explain it. So it does sound dumb. And I'm sorry if I've repeated anything anyone said.

It's just what I believe. I don't necessarily believe in some supreme powers of good and evil, but I don't necessarily believe that we are here, then we're 'done.'

Living positively would seem to be more likely to send a more positive energy back into the universe.

But what the hell do I know?

I dont think that sounds dumb.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #63
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thanks.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #64
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Then whatever you do here is meaningless. Be Mother Theresa or be a war criminal (I didn't say Nazi!!) what on earth could possibly be the difference? Why be 'good'? Why not a free for all? What the fuck could possibly be the point of being here at all if not to try to make some tiny, good difference? if there's no purpose-----hell, hold up that quicky mart you've got your eye on.

I'm coming back to this, because you have set out one of the most fundamental points of disagreement between most atheists and most people of faith.

What I do here has whatever meaning I or others place on my actions. I am a human being who has empathy and the ability to future pace my actions and their likely consequences. Why be 'good'? Because it makes for a more pleasant world and a more pleasant life if people are generally good and kind. Because my monkey brain appreciates social order and reciprocity. Because it matters at some indefinable way how we leave the world for future generations and it matters in more definable ways how we shape the world right now.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #65
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I had Death Fear today.
Partly from reading this thread. Partly because I heard about a couple of 45-47 who were splitting up. "Oh well" I thought, "I suppose they have time to find someone else." OMG - they're practically my age and I wrote them off as relationship OAPs!

I'm still closer to 40 than 50 but I see no way out of my current situation. I don't want a relationship, or children. I just want to be well and have friends. And money enough to enjoy both. But the clock is ticking. I fear leaving life unhappy, unfulfilled, a failure.

Shit.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #66
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Tril I would absolutely believe in your ability to see things the machines don't.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Also, I don't like the notion that I might, upon death, find myself conscious in some as yet unknowable state. That's a scary as fuck thought. Good or bad, heaven or hell, that idea is not a fun one to me.
So you're uncomfortable with the possibility all your dead friends and relatives are watching you masturbate.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #68
DanaC

basically.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #69
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I had Death Fear today.
I'm still closer to 40 than 50 but I see no way out of my current situation. I don't want a relationship, or children. I just want to be well and have friends. And money enough to enjoy both. But the clock is ticking. I fear leaving life unhappy, unfulfilled, a failure.

Shit.
Yeah, I'll be 49 on friday (the unexistable 29th) so, yeah, starting fiftieth year (my dad, bless his bitter, chewed up heart taught me that; you don't TURN 49, you BEGIN your fiftieth year, so basically, I'll be 50) I fear the same things. When I was young, life was fun, I wanted to go to the concert, the party, the whatever. I wanted things. I wanted a love to last me. I want a human cuddle; esp. when I am sick or sick at heart. Life chose to give me too much then snatch it away again, leaving me like a stick in a desert. I have loved but I don't think I will again. My sons certainly don't need me----I haven't seen Danny since Christmas and for about five min. then. Taylor is gone, he plans on staying in Columbus and besides, his father raised him, not me. I've no connections. Even in AA I feel an outsider.

no meds for about a week due to no money (see the baby shower fiasco for that) I won't budget, I won't get off my arse and do something good for someone. I am tired, old and want to sleep. Not so very lovely; not so very deep.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #70
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Not so very lovely; not so very deep.
You are both of those things.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #71
glatt

Spring is just around the corner. Really it is. Hang on.

Name:  2272016-269999-green-spring-tree-and-sun.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  116.2 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #72
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

D'ya know? There are more suicides in Spring than any other time.

weird, huh?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #73
Nirvana
Back in 10

I think someone needs a spanking, 50 whacks
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #74
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Tril, you really need a job. Something nice and easy and social...like retail. A cashier at Lowes. I loved that job because I talked with the customers all the time. Being alone after that was not being lonely.

Or take your new dog out for a long walk everyday no matter what the weather.

Do something and get out of your head. Pronto.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #75
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
I think someone needs a spanking, 50 whacks
I've been a very naughty boy......