The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't believe in standard 15% tipping. It's not a gift. It's an expression of appreciation for value received. Or something like that.

I've tipped a lot more, and I've tipped ZERO. You have to exceptionally suck to get ZERO, incidentally.

The one I always have trouble with is ... how much do you give the valet parking guy?

(One strategy I have used so far is that I leave the valet parking tip in the ashtray of my car. If it's still there when they return my car to me, they get the tip.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #47
breakingnews
Q_Q

15% is just a recommended benchmark. No standard.

Edit: Following on wolf's post, who else do you/don't you tip? I always tip parking attendants a $1 or two, but ONLY if they pull my car up to the front. I've had guys throw me the keys and point to my car in the single-level parking lot (those fuckers on 3rd St. just north of Market). First they double the price for overnight parking (I guess that's reasonable), then they're jerks about it.

I give cab drivers either:about $1 for every $5-8, or about a $1 for each person if there are a whole bunch of us (depending on the length of the ride, of course).

The worst are coat-check girls and the guys in the bathroom that hand you a towel and give you soap. I only tip those dudes if I take a cigarette or some gum. Sometimes more if I need a condom, but that's only been once - I generally try to be prepared at all times.

Last edited by breakingnews; 04-14-2005 at 12:28 PM.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #48
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I don't believe in standard 15% tipping. It's not a gift. It's an expression of appreciation for value received. Or something like that.

I've tipped a lot more, and I've tipped ZERO. You have to exceptionally suck to get ZERO, incidentally.

The one I always have trouble with is ... how much do you give the valet parking guy?

(One strategy I have used so far is that I leave the valet parking tip in the ashtray of my car. If it's still there when they return my car to me, they get the tip.)
So, you ALWAYS tip the valet, then.

I mean, if you reward his service and his honesty with the tip left in the ashtray, goody for him.

But what do you do if the tip isn't in the ashtray when you get back? Um, where did the tip go?

Old 04-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #49
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I usually only use the valet service when I'm staying in a fancy-ass hotel ... I'm a park and walk because I'm cheap kinda girl usually ...

Do you vary the valet tip based on the number of times he gets your car out of car purgatory for you? Like if you get it out twice during your stay, do you tip smaller amounts to equal what you'd give at the end??

This last time my car was in valet parking for five days. So the dudes basically watched over my vehicle and kept it safe from harm for that period of time. They put it away once, and brought it out once, so I pulled $5 out of the ashtray and handed it to the guy.

I prefer to do as much stuff on my own as possible ... but the friend I went to Baltimore with had entirely too much crap AND wasn't capable of carrying any of it herself, although why you need and 80 pound suitcase, a carry on bag, and a shopping bag full of snack foods for five days in a hotel with concierge lounge access is beyond me ... so while I had one rolling suitcase, a laptop case and a purse, she need a fucking flatbed to get her stuff up to the room. Under those circumstances, I figure the bellman is worth a buck a bag, right?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #50
lookout123
changed his status to single

i think it depends on where you are at too.

at the really nice places i tip the guy who takes my car from me so that he will keep it somewhere accessible and free of damage. i tip the guy who brings it back to me. dammit, i tip just about anyone who talks to me in those places.

vegas used to make me really uncomfortable because i wasn't sure who i was supposed to tip and who i wasn't. then i just decided i'll tip everyone. everyone with some qualifications, though. i shake damn near everyone's hand. if they shake my hand after providing me with a service (valet, bell service, etc.) they get a tip. no handshake, no tip. if they stick their hand out like they are expecting something - THEIR OUTTA THERE!

when we travel i keep stacks of fives in my wallet for this purpose alone. i never spend $5 bills - they are for tipping only. my wife rolls her eyes, but it is more for my own comfort than anything. i know for $5 to anyone who helps me and shakes my hand, i'm not leaving out anyone who deserves it. and it's built into our travel budget, so what does it hurt?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
But what do you do if the tip isn't in the ashtray when you get back? Um, where did the tip go?
That's when the manager gets to feel the full wrath of wolf. I don't take any of that "not responsible for valuables" shit.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #52
jenlove30
Kinda new

restaurants are ripping me off?

I do appreciate a tip any day of the week. The restaurant that I have been part-time employed at for the last month finally paid me my credit card tips, but first took 20% to give to the kitchen and some to the busser. I still can not decipher what is what. I am considering leaving, but before I do, I want to know:

Isn't it illegal for them to distribute my tips?
How much should a kitchen or busser be paid out of my tips?
Do I pay them from my cash and credit card tips?
When should I get my credit card tips - same day?
How do others do it and make a living...

Thanks.
jenlove30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Jenlove30.
What do you do with your cash tips, pocket them all or give some to the busser?....kitchen? Have you asked the other waiters what they do? When you were hired did anyone explain policy or custom?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #54
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Actually, back when I was a busboy we did share a small amount of the tips of the waiters. You of course do not have to do so if you want to bus your own tables just as your customers do not have to tip you if they get their own food.

The only caveat to using a credit card is that %3-5 of the tip might be withheld by the restaurant to pay the credit card fee. This means that if you tip $10 for a $55 meal, the server might only get $9.50.

One ugly issue was what happened when a Philadelphia restaurant went bankrupt a few years ago. Tips from the last night (maybe the last few days) were not passed on to the servers they were intended for but mixed in with the restaurants assets. I tried searching the Internet for an article, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

According to this article, the downside of this is that the IRS assumes that all tips from the restaurant are at the same rate as that put on credit cards by customers. This means if the average credit card tip is %17.5 percent, the IRS assumes all tips are %17.5 and goes after the restaurant to have them withhold the correct amount.

Here is a discussion on tip pooling.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #55
jenlove30
Kinda new

getting ripped off

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Welcome to the Cellar, Jenlove30.
What do you do with your cash tips, pocket them all or give some to the busser?....kitchen? Have you asked the other waiters what they do? When you were hired did anyone explain policy or custom?
Hi
The boss told me that she would tip the kitchen from my credit card tips. She told me to keep my cash tips. I do not believe her. There are no industry standards so I don't know what is expected of me. I only work 1 day a week, but it seems fishy. The kitchen keeps complaining that they want me to pay them. But I told them that the boss is supposed to pay them from my credit cards tips. They have complained that they are not getting anything.

I think the boss is taking all the money for herself. How do I prove this?
jenlove30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #56
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There is no situation where one coworker should "pay" another directly. If tips are shared, they are collected by a boss/manager and then redistributed. Either the kitchen staff is trying to scam you into just giving them money, or the boss is scamming them by not actually giving them the 20% she is withholding from you. Either way, it isn't really possible for you to prove anything unless you have access to the bookkeeping, which I'm sure you don't. It's the kitchen staff's problem--if they're not getting paid, they should talk to the boss.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It might be customary at that resturant to share with the kitchen but this is your first month isn't it? It's possible, depending on the time frame, your boss took money for the kitchen from you and plans to give it to the on their next payday? I'm just guessing, here.

You could ask your boss why the kitchen is bitching about not getting their money, go to the boss with the kitchen help, or just tell them to see the boss.

Or take a shotgun to work and watch 'em sweat.