The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-25-2004, 02:32 PM   #121
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
[B

When will the next "Song of Ice and Fire" be out? [/b]
I don't know, but it better be soon, I've already forgotten half the story. Between that and the Dark Tower series I was beginning to think King and Martin were out to drive me insane waiting for the next piece of the puzzle. Luckily King finally finished Wolves of the Calla. But Martin has left me hanging for far too long.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:32 PM   #122
jaguar
whig

Snow Crash and Diamond Are are both legendary books, I keep copies of both. I enjoy Stepherson's writing style but christ, he needs to learn hwo to end a fucking book. Seriously, take the ending of Cryptonomicon for example, talk about quick! It's like he got bored and just wrapped it up in a page. It's not terrible and doesn't really detract from the books but it's...distinctive.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #123
glatt

It's been a year or two since I read Cryptonomicon, but I agree with you. He spends 600 pages building an excellent story, and the ending takes less than 10 pages. Still, Crypto was an amazing book. He has so many ideas floating around in his head that he tries so hard to link together into a story.

Quicksilver is almost 1000 pages. So you get your money's worth. Forget about taking it out of the library though, most people don't have time to read a book that long before it's due back. And it's a popular book, so the waiting list keeps you from renewing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:47 AM   #124
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just finished "Northern Mysteries and Magick" by Freya Aswynn, so I'm back onto "Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge, which I'd interrupted for the research.

Just got a big tasty box of books from the Conservative Book Club too (*rubs hands together*). Hannity's new one is in there, and Treason (yeah, the one by the Devil in the Blue Dress) and a book about the atomic spies at Los Alamos.

(oh and the current "bathroom book" is "An Idiot's Guide to Shamanism.")

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #125
jaguar
whig

I bought my copy at the wonderful Foyles in London, hardback. It's been sitting on the pile ever since..

I do find that massive mess of ideas facinating, bits of so many ideas and concepts floating around. As someone that's worked with the kind of individuals in Cryptonomicon (loved the guy with the house with the whireboard-walls) it hit a real chord with me, that feeling of riding this incredible wave of innovation, living in a swirl of ideas.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:01 AM   #126
AnonyMsB
live in your head

Did you read them all yet? If you liked them, try The Talisman and Black House.
AnonyMsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 AM   #127
Griff
still says videotape

I knocked off Engine City last week by Ken MacLeod. It was weaker than the first two in the series but not bad. He must have gotten some feedback from his publisher that folks wern't getting it because he was much more explicit about his vision of gods etc.. I don't think it was necessary. I still like Star Fraction the first book I read by him the best.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #128
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I had had my head pretty deep into some historical analysis of 11th century Britain for a while when my Ex loaned me a little fiction. I hadnt read any fiction for about two years and was kind of pleased at having a little light relief in my reading.

I didnt expect much of the book.....Its won literary prizes which I am ashamed to say generally turns me right off :P I love literature but I get myself quite wound up at the tight definition in some circles of what exactly constitutes great literature and theres always that Schoolroom worthiness to be ware of hehe

So.....I started reading and am currently halfway through one of the best books I have read in a decade or more.

"Life of Pi"

I can highly recommend it. Beautiful. whimsical, laugh out loud funny, dark in places.... a heady mix of philosophy, theology, zoology and humour. Bravo
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #129
DanaC

QUOTE].[/I'm getting desperate.

"One Hundred Years of Solitude". Supposed to be this literary masterpiece. Nobel prize winning author.

I'm over 300 pages in, and I don't get it.

The names are mostly the same, which gets very confusing after the first 3 generations, and the writing style is jumbled and goes from present to future to past with very little segue.

This is supposed to be the best book he's written. And I still don't get it.

Has someone else read this? Can you tell me what I'm missing?
[quote]

I remember reading that on the recommendation of a total Marquez fanatic. ...I loved it, but I could no more explain it than you. I think I liked the fabric of it. It almost doesnt matter what the detail is.....its the smell and the feel of the endless rain, its the grief that underlies the economic realities of oppression and its the hybridised culture born of previous culture clashes, magical realism at its finest though I know many object to that term. Its a fantasy woven by a storyteller poet to while away the hot hours of political frustration
Old 04-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #130
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I just finished (yeah, I'm a latecomer sometimes) The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Yeah, the Steve Covey corporate rah-rah book. I'd actually been meaning to read this for some time ... The hospital went all TQM-y about the time I started there. I had studiously avoided reading any of the indoctrination manuals or becoming too actively involved.

It's interesting to see how far, over a 12 year span, you can stray from the original intent (Having a megalomaniacal Executive Director makes that a lot easier, of course).

My coworkers were becoming a bit frustrated with my attempts to apply what I have learned from this fine tome ... but they realized I was going to be all right when I yelled at the office manager, "Give me a fucking break, I'm trying to be proactive and think win/win here, BITCH."

(That's a real quote, not one made up for the purposes of your amusement. After all, I don't work in a normal office.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #131
DanaC

*chuckles*
Old 04-25-2004, 05:04 AM   #132
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

It seems to me that almost everyone reads one book at a time. My wife does that. She can't stand the fact that I read several books at once and can follow each one.

What I'm reading now:

1) The Templars' Secret Island - The Knights, the Priest and the Treasure - Erling Haagensen and Henry Lincoln

2) The Man Of Mt. Moriah - Clarence Miles Boutelle

3) The A to Z of Serial Killers - Harold Schechter and David Everitt

4) The Secret History Of Rock - The Most Influential Bands You've Never Heard - Roni Sarig

5) UFOs, JFK, and Elvis - Conspiracies You Don't Have To Be Crazy To Believe - Richard Belzer

I would suggest "UFOs, JFK, and Elvis" to anyone.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:39 AM   #133
DanaC

I often have several books on the go. Right now i am reading the "Life of Pi" , "Harold:The Last Anglo Saxon King" and "Bede's Hitoria Ecclesiastica"( though that last one is actually a printed out copy of translation I found online

I have great difficulty with crossover if the books I am reading are too similar though.....so....If I am reading fiction ( seemingly rare these last couple years ) I might have a humourous contemporary novel on the go at the same time as some high fantasy....Usually always have at least one piece of historical analysis on the go....I found though that I had to give up reading any historical fiction set in the middle ages when I have historical research/study to do as that tends to confuse matters.....
Old 05-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #134
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I just completed "Pandora's Star" by Peter F. Hamilton. Has anybody else read stuff by this guy?? I think I'm more impressed by this than I have been by any other new-to-me author I've come across lately. It's an extremely complicated story, with several seeming disjointed threads coming together as the book closes. (I don't say end, because it's a cliffhanger as we await the next volume.) In fact, it took me a really long time to read it by my standards (4 weeks for 750 pages)--I read most normal fiction pretty quickly. But I never felt like it was dragging at all.

Oh, and I just started Neal Stephenson's "The Confusion" on Wednesday. I like it so far.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #135
DanaC

One of my all time favourite book titles was "Gun, with Occassional music" cant recall the author now, but it was a hell of a good book. Same guy did one called Amnesia Moon, he's an Australian sci fi writer...which reminds me, has anybody else noticed that Australia has produced some damned classy Sci Fi authors?

Tags
books