The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #16
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

MSN article
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #17
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Well that didn't say anything.

Barring any evidence to the contrary it seems the paragon of paranoid gonzo reporting went out with a wimper instead of a bang.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I doubt that he thought to use a silencer ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:36 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just thought of a really important question ...

Is G.B. Trudeau going to kill off Uncle Duke?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM   #20
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I doubt that he thought to use a silencer ...
Like I said over on the Reason comment blog, running down the halls of congress with a mini-nuke on his back would have been going out with a bang. Swallowing a chunk of lead is just weak.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

found this on doonesbury.com
Quote:
"A lot of people want to grow up to be firemen and President. But nobody wants to grow up to be a cartoon character."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #22
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Thompson's ashes to be shot out of a cannon!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #23
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Sounds like they are trying to Spin this a little to me.

Especially when...

"Family members had no hint that Thompson planned to take his own life, Brinkley said, and he did not leave a note. "There was no farewell salutation,' he said."
Old 02-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #24
lookout123
changed his status to single

Here is an interesting article quoting his wife heavily about his last hours.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

That article sounds...weird. It makes her sound weird.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
It makes her sound weird.
that reminds me of a guy's response when his SO asks if "these jeans make my a*s look fat?" without missing a beat he responds, "no, the fat on your a*s makes you look fat"

all i'm saying is that maybe she really is a little nutty. or selfmedicated. or both.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:21 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
It makes her sound weird.
Uh...well...she was married to Hunter S. Thompson. I 'spect she is.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #28
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Anita Thompson also echoes the comments that have been made by Hunter Thompson's son and daughter-in-law: That her husband's suicide did not come from the bottom of the well, but was a gesture of strength and ultimate control made as his life was at a high-water mark.
So what they're saying is that HT's life was like the final season of M.A.S.H?

I don't have much to say about that other than having watched my wife take care of her father in his final two years in Parkinsons, I can possibly understand the motivation for someone with that disease or something like terminal bone cancer to spare themselves the final months or weeks. I heard John Wayne thought about it However, by all accounts the man was in good health.

Saying to oneself "this is as good as my life is ever going to get, so it's all downhill from here" sounds like really bad reason for suicide.

I think Dennis Leary said it best -

Quote:
Do not mention FIRE IN THE BELLY. Do not clutch your copy of IRON JOHN. Sit your soft little ass down and listen up. Understanding macho means that you don't possess it. I have proven myself to be the pussy that I am by writing this piece. (I'm wearing a powder blue cotton print shirt and peach panties as I type) [sic] Ernest Hemingway, you say? Wrong. Ernest lived a very macho life and wrote some very macho stories. But Ernest threw it all away by blowing his head off with a shotgun. Very unmacho. Real men do not commit suicide. Real men know just how much life sucks. Real men grit their teeth and take it bill after bill, war after war, tumor after tumor. You don't greet Death, you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away. I think John Wayne said it best when he said, "Fuck Death and the lung cancer he rode in on."
BTW, I heard that John Wayne did contemplate suicide while he had cancer but either changed his mind or was prevented from doing so (I don't think a nurse has to be a genius to not let the terminal cancer patient have a gun).

One of the really nice rules of nature is that in most cases, really awful stuff is stuff that kills you. Almost everything else you can get over.

This whole 'killing oneself because this is as good as life gets' implies some kind of psychic ability to absolutely know what will be coming next. That's bullshit. Rodney Dangerfield was a paint salesman until he was 42 and didn't star in his first film until he was almost 60. Should he have picked up a gun and shot himself after his divorce at 41?

I appreciated everything that HT stood for, but if his suicide is his last piece of 'gonzo' performance art, then I'm not buying it.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:01 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Possibly your best post ever Rich. Thanks for saying it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I agree, UT. Great post, rich. Equating a suicide as a gesture of strength and control? Somebody's living in DelusionLand. If he was surrounded by people like his wife maybe it DID seem like a good idea. Who knows what all they romanticized? Who was that author/actor that threw himself off the ferry in NYC a few years ago?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote