The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 AM   #1
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Talking Rapists Beware-she has teeth down there

KLEINMOND, South Africa (Reuters) - A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex", a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage," she told reporters in Kleinmond, a small holiday village about 100km (60 miles) east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy co-ordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is mediaeval and barbaric -- an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

shenanigans
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
chronos
Dry Nurse

I'm not sure what to think about this. If it helps protect a woman from being raped, I'm all for it. However, I am also concerned that she might unwittingly be setting herself up for being killed in addition to being raped.

As a short term effort, this device should be used by the women willing to take the risk of preventing their rape vs. being killed. Long term this problem will only be solved through a culture shift. I'm assuming SA has strong anti-rape laws on the books (I admit ignorance) and that they don't enforce them as they should. Tracking down rapist and punishing them to the full extent of the law while also removing the fear of reporting a rape is needed to curtail this issue. Putting them to death is fine by me.
chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

I feel a deterent would be the greatest effort in fighting this crime. If the government would use scientifically enhanced, steroid fed, sex-starved Highland Silverback Gorillas to rape the rapists, men would think twice before raping a woman. "If I'm caught, I will be ass raped by a giant gorilla and then serve jail time or be put to death. Hmmmmmm?"
Old 09-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think a Glock23 has much more utility than one of these anti-condoms.

You don't have to worry about wearing it inside-out, for one ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I agree with Wolf. Point and shoot -- that's a Glock. Well exercised and publicised gun rights make rape and all other violent crime go down and stay down.

The hoplophobes will hate this, but they're not rational anyway and so should keep their opinions to themselves. They end up arguing that a woman raped and killed is morally superior to one standing unharmed over a dead would-be rapist. Jayzus.

One round in the crotch, two more in the center of mass, finish with one to the head if needed. You're on the solidest legal ground if you get all these in before he falls. Shooting him after he falls on the ground in much of the USA calls for either a very good reason or a very good defense lawyer.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
chronos
Dry Nurse

Well, the problem with this is that you assume she has enough time to draw a weapon. Something she inserts means she can prepare in advance and can't be taken by surprise.

I'm all for mowing down rapist given the opportunity.
chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Either way, it's a tactic to stymie the assault, and neither is necessarily a magic cure-all. Ain't many people can rape a .40, and those that could will excite the other rapists into unseemly laughter once they get a look at their titmouse-size parts.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
Mary Jane and Me
IS IN HIDING.............CAN YOU FIND ME???

I like the thought of the "anti rape condom" thingy..............I wonder where you can buy them at?? ............or maybe just get a gun...... hhhmmm, i think i'll take another hit and think about it.......
Mary Jane and Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

A version of this device figures prominently in Snow Crash.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
Mage
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I think a Glock23 has much more utility than one of these anti-condoms.
Exactly what i was thinking