The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

What's in Your Wallet?

From the Nightly Business Report of 4 Nov 2005:
Quote:
PAUL KANGAS: My guest market monitor this week is Douglas Jimerson, president of National Investment Advisors. And Doug, welcome back to NIGHTLY BUSINESS REPORT.

DOUGLAS JIMERSON, PRESIDENT, NATIONAL INVESTMENT ADVISORS: Thank you, Paul, great to be back.

KANGAS: For some time now you have been very cautious about owning stocks saying that they have been showing characteristics of a classic bear market. Have you changed your opinion or have you become even more bearish?

JIMERSON: I haven`t changed my opinion. I am still of the same opinion.

KANGAS: Still bearish. But why?

JIMERSON: This market is trendless. Its been flat for, gee, how long, we cant even remember.

KANGAS: That`s not good for the bears or the bulls.

JIMERSON: No, its not. But the -- the real concern I have is interest rates. Because we continue to have a ratcheting higher of the short-term rates and the long-term rates are going up. The Treasury bonds and notes are now below their long-term moving averages.

KANGAS: So that is your main concern is higher interest rates. How much higher do you think they can go?

JIMERSON: You know, I don`t have that crystal ball. But it does seem that the Fed is intent on making certain that they flush out any hint of inflation in spite of possible deflationary hints from overseas and in spite of, you know, what we are seeing in the economy employment reports don`t seem too bullish.

KANGAS: So you believe in the old axiom don`t fight the Fed when they are boosting.

JIMERSON: Absolutely.

KANGAS: OK. Now one group that you have been bullish on and very correctly so has been in the oil sector. But you did recommend taking some profits there on your last visit with us in early May of this year. What is your stance on the oils now?

JIMERSON: Well, by and large were flat the oils. You know, as you look at ExxonMobil which I have been talking about for years, this is basically unchanged, but it`s had a wild ride since last May. And so I really think that that long-term bull phase for the oil stocks is passed.

KANGAS: OK. Now on that last visit in May, you said that the NASDAQ market was due for a fall and you even recommended purchasing a bearish mutual fund. Lets see how its done since May. I think it was the 5th of May you were with us.

JIMERSON: Right.

KANGAS: There we see it, down 9.3 percent. Now you did have a profit briefly in it when the market went down. But now its moving against you. Are you still with it?

JIMERSON: Absolutely. I was calling that a long-term investment. And the NASDAQ is down for the year still. That fund is up for the year still. I think that we are going to see a more important or more significant leg down in the market in the next month or so.

KANGAS: And it will be lead by the NASDAQ market?

JIMERSON: I think so. Although, an important element of this is going to be a correction in the oil stocks which corrected during the summer and I expect --

KANGAS: They corrected today pretty well also.

JIMERSON: I believe its the beginning of a next leg down in the oil stocks.

KANGAS: So no year-end rally for the oils, in other words.

JIMERSON: No. And I think that they there are better opportunities overseas. I`m suggesting that --

KANGAS: You have some new recommendations on the buy side.

JIMERSON: Yes. I think its good to look at markets that are in a very different phase from ours. The bubble burst here in 2000. The bubble in Japan burst in 1990. And their recovery has been under way for a long time. And their interest rates are very low, practically nil.

KANGAS: Can we get specific as to recommendations?

JIMERSON: A couple of very nice opportunities with no-load funds would be the Rydex Japan fund.

KANGAS: It has had quite a rise.

JIMERSON: It`s begun a very nice advance.

KANGAS: So you think that this chart just is typical of the beginning of a trend.

JIMERSON: Oh, I think so. Now obviously its going to correct if our market corrects. But I think this is a long-term opportunity.

KANGAS: Do you have another choice in that area?

JIMERSON: And Fidelity Japan fund also, another no-load fund. So its diversified within the Japanese market which is very much out of phase with the American markets.

KANGAS: OK, so you are going overseas, do you own any of these two securities personally?

JIMERSON: At this point, no.
BTW, many of those Market Monitor guests on NBR make for some of the best investment information sources. A tribute to interviews by Paul Kangas.

Many MBA type brokers will simply hype stocks. But even many of them are changing their tune. Too many are now recommending investments outside of America. How can this be if George Jr has created five years of growth? The growth has not existed thanks to a former alcoholic now addicted to Treasury credit cards and a destructive tax cut. As posted by this author so many years ago, that tax cut will result in a few good years followed by economic forces that punish the economy. There is no reason for history to change this time. We are now entering the punishment phase as demonstrated by so many stock brokers who also note that the stock market has been completely flat during the entire George Jr administration. How can this be if there has been growth?

Where is all this growth? Its clearly well invested - in bullets and broken Humvees in Iraq - in SUVs - in all those more efficient factory and power plant equipment not invented in America because George Jr only advocated more oil consumption and denials about global warming. The classic 'guns or butter' concept from economics. Any stock brokers here want to recommend a domestic investment? Good ones are scarce as the Fed must drastically increase interest rates to correct for George Jr's tax cut and for what any alcoholic would call a balanced budget.

Remember all those Capital One, et al credit cards with near zero interest rates? Where were they making money? They have invested in US. They need you to maintain high balances. Then when you default on a single payment - even to the gas company - then they apply massive interest rates to that large balance. Maybe 20%. Credit card companies are getting ready to reap huge profits because so many Americans do not and cannot pay off their credit cards. Part of those upcoming profits includes the 'reform' of bankruptcy laws. Don't think for one minute that those credit card companies have not been thinking long term. They needed and will now get even the Fed to increase interest rates. And unlike house mortgage companies, then credit card companies can immediately apply those higher rates to your debts. Worse still, you may not be able to declare bankruptcy; must keep making payments for what - a decade? Long term and profitable planning.

If you have any such debts, better be paying them off ASAP. The legacy of George Jr economics is fast approaching.

Ahhh... but nobody expected the levees to be breached. What's in your wallet?

Last edited by tw; 11-07-2005 at 07:37 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I own my soul. The company store can go to hell.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

I know that credit card companies don't think long term. How? Simple

1) Credit card companies are run by MBAs

2) MBAs don't think long term, as tw often reminds us

3) Credit card companies don't think long term.

Q.E.D
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I own my soul. The company store can go to hell.
I arranged a lease/leaseback arrangement with the company store, so I could keep my soul and borrow on it too. Then when the company went bankrupt, I bought back my own debt for pennies on the dollar. I still have the soul, but after being involved in that, I don't know that it's useful anymore.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

drivers license
visa card
silver shrapnel
petrol reciepts x 4
book of 10 stamps with 4 missing
asthma card
implanon info card
myer card
medicare card
NRMA card

oooooooooh. its not that kind of thread..
Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
drivers license
visa card
silver shrapnel
petrol reciepts x 4
book of 10 stamps with 4 missing
asthma card
implanon info card
myer card
medicare card
NRMA card

oooooooooh. its not that kind of thread..
I think sun_sparkz thread is more interesting, IMO. I'll bet there are survivalists who have more faith in the economy/shrub admin. than I do.

I don't use a wallet, it all floats freely and mingles with the pocket lint, I usually carry my D.L., my debit card, my swiss army knife (tinker), and my NYBG membership card. On rare occasions there is folding money.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
On rare occasions there is folding money.
Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Meanwhile, what is a NRMA card, a myer card, and an implanon info card?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i've got 6 bucks cash! yeppers! a fiver and a single, i do!
wallet:
D/L
debit card
pilot license
picture of my son
phone #'s
kroger card (points thingy for cheaper groceries and gas)
receipts
an uncashed check from my g/f
wal-fart gift card
blockbuster card
expired concealed handgun license (haven't had time to renew)
and various business cards.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
NRMA is a road side assistance motor club, It costs me $123 a year and i get free tows, tyre changes etc, and help if ever i break down anywhere in australia.. for me who knows nothing about cars, yet travels approx 800kilometres a week- its essential.

Myer is a store card - (you dont have myer? grace bros? david jones?) its like a credit card that i can use at myer, Dj's, jimmy b's, coles and target.

Implanon card is in my wallet so in case im ever in an accident or anything the doctors will check my wallet and know that i have an implanon implant in my arm (a 5cm tube lodged in my bicep muscle that releases small amounts of ostregen daily)..ick!

I dont cary cash, i find if i have it.. i spend it (its not money in the bank!). where as, when i use the card i can feel it hurting the actual bank balance. I save without cash.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?
My wife does that for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Not sure about the first two, but my guess is the third is IMPLANON as in:
"I'm planning on...when I get the time, money, etc."

Oh, just read sparkz description. It's like a med alert bracelet. My mom's says: 'hypochondriac'
Old 11-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
russotto
Professor

Aside from all the other crap, I have a 2005 Republican National Committee membership card. That makes me a card-carrying Republican. It's like a "get out of Guantanemo free" card.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:58 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Or an automatic internment card during the Obama administration.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

D/L
CCW
MasterCard
MAC card (note to folks outside of Phila. This is an ATM card. Our ATMs were all called "MAC" (Money Access Center) when they first brought them online (except the now defunct Girard Bank machines, which were called "George.") Even though few ATMs in the area still bear the MAC logo, they are still called that. By darn near everybody.
Two gasoline company Cards
NRA Member Card
2nd Amendment Sisters Member Card
Insurance Card
$87 (includes $2 bill)
Asst fortune cookie inserts
$1 coupon from RJ Reynolds
Several crumpled and unreadable store receipts, at least one of which is a point of sale debit that I should have listed in my checkbook register three weeks ago.

I do not have any Capital One cards. But I do like those vikings.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

D/L
about fifty of those debit receipt's that I've yet to record in my checkbook
my P.O. card
four no-longer-working credit cards
pictures of my boys (handsome devils, they are!)
library card X2
Book store discount card
CPR/ALS card
License to practice radiography
License to practice Nursing
License to Kill
(kidding 'bout that last one.)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

D/L
D/L change of address card
Master/debit card
Voter info card
J.Crew card
Pottery Barn gift card ($50)