The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Pie
Gone and done

Aha. I recognize it now. I will have to listen for that lovely subtlety next time i hear it.

Thanks, UT!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Listened to it again, maybe the most amazing thing is that he's a metronome, precisely on the beat. I think what I said before is that he had to be brilliant to keep Keith Moon on track. Somebody had to be the responsible one in that pair.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've probably mentioned this before, but Entwistle is probably the single biggest reason I ever picked up a guitar, let alone a bass.

I don't play as *well* as he did, and I never will, but the way he played is always in my mind when I'm playing bass. Always.

Edit: Now that I've watched it in its entirety, I want to tell Flint "Thanks!" from the deepest place in my heart. That was freaking amazing. Entwistle was always such a rhythm section unto himself, and seeing him isolated like this playing a song that I know like I know my own jock itch only serves to make me more in awe of his apparently effortless abilities.

Fuck. Me. I've just had a religious musical experience.

Last edited by Elspode; 12-16-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #19
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Listened to it again, maybe the most amazing thing is that he's a metronome, precisely on the beat. I think what I said before is that he had to be brilliant to keep Keith Moon on track. Somebody had to be the responsible one in that pair.
Something I realized early on was that Entwistle and Moon (and let me qualify this...I've been a Who fan since I first heard them when I was 10...and I'm 52 now) had *so much* going on as the rhythm section that it let Pete and Roger *appear* to be doing so much more than they really were as the front guys, it was uncanny.

The Who always got more sound as an essentially three piece band than any other group before or since. The reason was the incredible complexity/subtlety/brilliance of Entwistle and Moon...not that Pete and Roger weren't awesome, because they were.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Just imagine how great they would have been if we could have used ProTools and Autotune to tweak the living hell out every last note!

Tags
music