Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 11-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #976
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  Arguing_With_Children.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  83.2 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #977
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Minifob has gained a reputation for asking somewhat insane questions in class, and the teachers regularly share them with me. The other day, his music teacher is talking about orchestras, and all the different instruments, and how the different sounds combine to make the overall music.

Minifob raises his hand in all solemnity, and asks, "How many orchestras were there in the world, in 1970?"

It's important to note that there had been zero references to 1970 or any other specific year during that class, or any other class in recent memory.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #978
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That's probably as far back as he goes, after that it's all the same. Sort of like when we think of when the dinosaurs lived or the difference between one and two light years. In other words, fucking far away and a long time ago.

That is funny, though.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #979
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's a trap, he's researched and knows how many, so he can tell if she's lying.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #980
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Sort of like when we think of when the dinosaurs lived or the difference between one and two light years. In other words, fucking far away and a long time ago.
I read a thing recently revealing that the Tyrannosaurus was closer to us in the timeline than it was to the Stegosaurus. Or maybe not those two, but it was some pair of well-known dinosaurs, anyway. The idea was we forget that "the dinosaurs" spanned hundreds of millions of years and instead just sort of lump them all together into one spot in history.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #981
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I read a thing recently revealing that the Tyrannosaurus was closer to us in the timeline than it was to the Stegosaurus. Or maybe not those two, but it was some pair of well-known dinosaurs, anyway. The idea was we forget that "the dinosaurs" spanned hundreds of millions of years and instead just sort of lump them all together into one spot in history.
This:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CCIQMygEMAQ
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #982
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or this.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #983
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Very cool, it looks like if R. Crumb were teaching science.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #984
monster
I hear them call the tide

Me: Glad you're feeling better, seems that fever was just your body fighting off whatever is going around
Thor: Yes, I do seem to have rather a hardy immune system

Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #985
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ha! 'a rather hardy immune system.'

Great kid!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #986
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Kids have interesting views of themselves. I remember Ripley saying, very sincerely, that she was "cute on the outside, but crazy on the inside" when she was 7 or 8 years old.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #987
chrisinhouston
Professor

I see 5 of my grandchildren pretty regularly as their family lives only a few miles away. Both parents work so I often get asked to watch over sick kids or when they are out on a school holiday or half day. That being said, I do enjoy it. I always liked being the father of 5 kids and interacting with them as they grew into adults and now I get to sort of do it all over again! My feeling is as they are my grandchildren so I try not to interfere much with the mom and dad's parenting style. I don't always agree with their style but parenting doesn't come with a handbook so as long as no one is mistreated I figure they can figure it out as they go along.

My son in law calls just about everyone "Dude" in conversations, even his mother. I don't know why, I don't think it's a Jeff Bridges kind of dude thing as in The Big Lebowski. I think he got it from being a grunt in the Air Force with other grunts. Recently some of my younger grand children (ages 8 and 10) have referred to me as Dude in a moment of telling me something in an exited tone. I usually stop them and reply. "I'm your grandfather, your father can call me Dude and I could call him Dude. I don't call you Dude so please don't call me that."

The other thing is my 10 year old grandson has started saying "Jesus Christ!" when a sibling does something wrong or unexpected. Both parents use some pretty course language, but the kids know not to use most of those words. I guess he thinks "JC" is ok though. I told him, "I'm not much of a follower of Christianity or Jesus and I'm ok with it if you aren't either but I'm pretty sure if your teacher hears you say that at school or you say it to mom and dad you will be in some pretty big trouble!" I encouraged him to say something like, Gosh Darn or Holy Smoke.

I guess we all use inappropriate language around kids from time to time. I can remember a moment when I was working under our family car with a big repair and my 5 year old son went inside the house where his mother asked him where I was. He responded innocently enough, "outside under the God Dammed car!?
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #988
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dude.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #989
Clodfobble

I call everyone dude, all the time. Half the time it's not referring to the person directly, it's just an interjection like "whoa."
Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #990
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I use "dude" much in the same way Clodfobble describes.

Tags
humor