The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

public service announcement

Hello all. I've lurked here for a long time, but I never felt like I had much to say, so I just registered.

Last weekend, 2 days before Christmas, my friends and I found out that one of our dear friends was found dead in his home by his father. He died due to autoerotic asphyxia, also known as scarfing. For those who don't know, this involves cutting off oxygen flow to the brain via strangulation during masturbation (or during sex, just leave out the "auto" part) for the purpose of achieving a heightened orgasm. Sometimes the rescue or escape mechanism fails, and the person dies.

This might be something you've heard about but think it just happens to celebrities (think Michael Hutchence of INXS). It happens to a LOT more people than many realize, but everyone hushes it up, keeps it a secret. This time it happened to one of my friends.

It's a very, very dangerous practice, and from my research, I've discovered that every time someone does it and manages to come back from it, they've suffered a little brain damage, however slight, from the oxygen deprivation, so even if you don't die completely, you're still harming yourself.

In short, it's not worth it. Please think twice, three times, maybe even four? before you do this or try it. My friend was an only child, 10 days shy of his 40th birthday. He was a very, very talented teacher and an even better friend, and he will be sorely missed. The worst part is for his parents, who only had one child, and his father will likely be haunted for the rest of his life by the image of finding his only son in such a state.
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

What a tragic story. I can't even imagine what his parents are going through.

I hope everyone's got enough sense not to engage in something so risky.

In any event, I extend a somber Welcome to the Cellar. There's not much I can say about this type of thing but I get the sense that you might have something more to add and I can't figure out what to ask to get it going.

Well, I guess I can ask one question: were you aware he was doing this?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

A parents nightmare. Some people do have their darkest dungeons...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

Thank you for the welcome. I've been reading here that I feel like I know the major players here and their stories already!

Nothing more to add to that... I just don't want to see anyone else's family and friends subjected to that kind of tragedy. My nephew's doctor suggested some time ago that my sister tell him about it and encourage him not to do it, and she hasn't been able to broach the topic (this is popular amongst kids whether it involves the masturbation part or not). I think she might have reason to do it now, and I hope others will too.

I wasn't aware that he was doing this, but hey, everyone has their secret inner freak, especially in my circle of friends. I just hope no one else's secret freaks are doing things that might lead to their demise.
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote