The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #61
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Ice hockey and football are wayyyyy better to watch than baseball and basketball.

Crocquet is more fun to play than golf.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #62
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Curling fucking rules...I will someday play on the US Olympic Curling Team.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #63
Flint
Snowflake

There is a logical explanation for everything; some are known, others are yet to be known, most will never be known. Everything we have accomplished, the sum of our collective knowledge, occupies an imperceptibly thin slice of data on the surface of an unimaginably vast mystery.

Nonetheless, this is the best data we have, and we should cherish it, and use it to our advantage in every situation. Also, we should be ready to cast it aside, without reservation, when it does us a disservice. A small bit of the great mystery may be revealed to us, at any moment, in a way we never imagined. However, we aren't really designed to make the distinction between good and bad data, we must make an extreme effort.

Finally, we should always fight, tooth and nail, against those who wish us to surrender to ignorance. As ignorant and insignificant as we are (and we most certainly are, to a degree our minds are incapable of comprehending) we have carved out a small niche of organized data, the qualities of which need constant protection from deliberate obfuscation. Knowledge is our most valuable resource, and attacks upon it are the most heinous crime.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 03-19-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #64
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Flint, your post reminded me of this fine piece of work from Donald Rumsfeld:

As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #65
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Flint, your post reminded me of this fine piece of work from Donald Rumsfeld:

As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.

That quote has been utilized at many scientific conferences; The Skeptic in Scientific American did a piece on it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #66
rkzenrage

There should be European historical societies for Gaelics, Celtics, Irish, Scots, Welsh, etc, to show their pride and network.

We need to bring back men's clubs.

There should be a men's only gym like Curves and it needs to be announced up front that if anyone goes after it Curves will be attacked immediately.

If someone feels guns should be outlawed, they also must agree that all fattening foods should be monitored by law and no car should be produced that can drive over the speed limit and tobacco should be outlawed as well as anything else that kills. These people do not believe in freedom. I also wonder what they feel should be done with overpopulated animal populations and for farmers that need side-arms for protection from snakes and other animals?

Capitol punishment is murder, period.

Telling a child that if they sin they will go to hell is child abuse.

It is not the state's place to tell someone who owns a store or restaurant that they cannot let people smoke or drink on their private property. If you don't like it, don't shop/eat there. If it hurts their business, they will stop allowing it, but allowing it is their constitutional right. That is their property. Life is not about you and what you like.
Freedom means being free to be around others who express their freedoms as well. The freedom to be offended or go somewhere else.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 03-19-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #67
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

American and European farm subsidies should be abolished because they do nothing more than perpetuate inefficient farming practices and shut out cheaper products produced elsewhere.

Corporate welfare should be abolished. If a corporation wants money from a government, the funds should be in exchange for a stake in the corporation, just like the real world.

People should be encouraged or discouraged from having children in accordance to their degree of natural resistance to common diseases.

Unpaid overtime is slavery.

Steam powered vehicles - direct-drive and steam-electric hybrids - are viable transportation options for the future. Many governments suppress them because they can run well on various untaxed fuels.

Nuclear power creates some of the most dangerous industrial waste known. Anyone that misrepresents it as clean should volunteer to keep some high-level radioactive waste in their own homes and find out for themselves just how unclean it can be.

Global warming from carbon dioxide is real and we should take measures to combat it. Many people who dismiss it do so because they have connections to the fossil fuel industry.

Action taken to combat global warming should be seen as an insurance policy for the planet. Even if we do not collect on the insurance, it would be money well spent because we would be developing renewable energy technologies that we would still be using when all the fossil fuels run out.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #68
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
That's silly. There are no white people in Philadelphia with guns. The shootings remain unsolved because of John Street's personal agenda to prove that all the ills of the city are caused by whites rather than the notion that Philadelphia shootings are almost exclusively black-on-black crimes, and have their roots in the drug trade.
That counts more as a popular opinion--wrong thread!
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #69
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I don't hold any unpopular opinions.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #70
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I dont disagree with cannibalism.

I would prefer to kill a (bad) human than a nice animal.

I prefer 2 min noodles to a steak.

i enjoy stress and drama and think that all relationships should have a time limit of 12 months to keep things interesting.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #71
monster
I hear them call the tide

If you marry/select a life-partner in the ceremony of your choice, you are committing to a lifetime partnership. All your assets should be merged and shared, your voice and your input should be equal. There should be no secrets. If you find you've made a mistake later on, fine, dissolve the partnership, split the assets, but preparing for that moment with prenups/separate bank accounts etc before you even make the commitment is proof that the commitment isn't heartfelt.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #72
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Graffiti is art.

Hybrids pollute much more from production to end than an equivalent gasoline-only vehicle.

Religion is the easy way out of asking difficult questions and being confronted by complicated issues.

Consumer culture is an addiction and a destructive disease.

We are afraid only because the news tells us to be.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #73
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Rich people have stopped having kids. In most first world countries the population growth is negative.
We would be experiencing population growth if 48,589,993 abortions had not been performed since 1973.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:59 AM   #74
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I don't hold any unpopular opinions.
Radar has a sense of humor.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #75
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
There should be European historical societies for Gaelics, Celtics, Irish, Scots, Welsh, etc, to show their pride and network.
Your neighborhood doesn't have an Ancient Order of Hibernians?