The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
More fun eBay auctions!

I think it's been well established here that people will pay good money for the most ridiculous things. But there seems to be a run on that kind of thing recently and some are downright unbelieveable, if they are to be believed. Here's a lady selling her father's ghost on eBay to calm her son's fears.
(Hmm...didn't realize you had to sign up to view this one. I was able to get straight to it via Google, no signing up or nothin'. Try this one instead.)

But wait there's more! eBay auctions for:
"Grandpa's Ghost and his Haunted Kendo Stick"
"My Daughters Nightmare Ghosts"
And a ME TOO! regarding the woman selling her's father's ghost.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying the ghost of a cat I had while growing up. I still miss him and it appears that the only prerequisite you need to sell a ghost on eBay is that the ghost had to mean something to you somehow in life.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens

Last edited by Cyber Wolf; 12-06-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You know, it was an interesting and touching story when it was just the apparently sincere woman doing it. All of the other assholes who jumped on board (in a few cases directly copying her exact text in hopes of getting some of what she was getting, up to and including forging bids) are going to fuck it up to the point that Ebay is going to have to shut it down.

People suck. Really.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I really wonder about the questions posted at the bottom of some of them and how they're all about how touching X's story is and they felt heartbroken when they read it and how it touched them on deep emotional level, etc....

Can a seller pick and choose what questions get posted for others to see? I somehow have a hard time believing no one's posted anything of a skeptical nature, especially since there are now a bunch of these ghost auctions up.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The "My Daughters Nightmare Ghosts" story intrigued me.
Father abused child, gets caught, out of the picture (sort of).
Mother and daughter spend all their time together. Now mom finds a boyfriend so mom & daughter time is reduced by mom & boyfriend time. This has to be a little unsettling to the daughter having lost dad and now losing some of mom.
Makes me wonder if the kid figured dad’s act got him out of the picture so the same act would eliminate the boyfriend hence mom & daughter live happily ever after.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Scarier than any of the above information ... I am the winning bidder on a Hello Kitty Apron, Sleeve Covers, Spoon, Fork, Chopstick, and Comb and Mirror set on ebay.

My excuse, and I'm sticking to it, is that my friend has children.

I won the My Pretty Pony apron too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Scarier than any of the above information ... I am the winning bidder on a Hello Kitty Apron, Sleeve Covers, Spoon, Fork, Chopstick, and Comb and Mirror set on ebay.

My excuse, and I'm sticking to it, is that my friend has children.

I won the My Pretty Pony apron too.
Let me know if you ever post a picture of you wearing the apron.

BTW, what was really scary about the "Daughter's Nightmare Ghosts" was that they were charging for shipping and handling. :p
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I hate you...you know how much I love Hello Kitty!

IIRC, when the XBox came out, people were selling the box that it came in for as much as the system cost. Now that's fucked up.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

They're still trying to unload that Russian Whiskey-class submarine. For almost $500K, you could probably buy one that still runs.

I don't understand this at all -

Quote:
We ship very fast using FEDEX,DHL,UPS and provide online tracking numbers! For all other countries please Email me for a shipping quote Please note that we do not ship to P.O. Box nor APO/FPO Addresses
Since when does FedEx ship Russian diesel subs?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I wonder if it can run on vodka...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'll bid on the sub, especially if it actually runs!

Just as soon as my money from Nigeria comes in!

Any day now....

Any day...

Brian
Old 12-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
I hate you...you know how much I love Hello Kitty!
he's got a lot of other cool Hello Kitty Stuff ...

I think this would look great in your office.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 AM   #12
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
I think it's been well established here that people will pay good money for the most ridiculous things...

Yup, I got a blue plastic cup sitting right in my cupboard that I should've put up for bid on ebay...damn.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:58 AM   #13
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

They were talking about the woman selling her fathers ghost on Good Morning American today
cjjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Judge up for sale on ebay. His Honor was not amused.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:15 PM   #15
Johngalt
Kinda New Member

Santa's Beard Trimmings listed on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&rd=1&item=5544272474&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

(you'll have to cut and past this in two shots)

The genuine article! Or at least, every bit as real as Santa Claus. Plenty of time to get your bid in!
Johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote