The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #76
Torrere
a real smartass

I think that Jeb endorses a very lazy sort of tolerance. He fails to distinguish between religious moderates like rkzenrage's parents, and religious extremists like the Creationists. He does not distinguish between evangelicals, who often subscribe to creationism, and the Catholic Church, which says that God used evolution to fashion our bodies. He doesn't want to think about science or faith or the differences between them. He tries to avoid conflict between people who disagree by forcing both to shut up.

He espouses tolerance so that he doesn't have to learn about other people's beliefs -- he already superficially supports them. He writes a blank moral check for creationists and doesn't worry that they're trying to force creationism on school children. He writes a blank moral check for all of Hinduism, says it's all okay, and doesn't see the ugly caste system. He writes a blank moral check for all of Islam, says it's a religion of peace and scientific advancement, and doesn't worry himself about female genital mutilation.

He doesn't have any way to identify what's good and what's bad, nor what's right and what's wrong. So instead he claims that everything is good and anyone who says otherwise is bad.

Finally, he's not an athiest because he doesn't believe in God. He's an athiest because he doesn't want to go to church.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #77
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Science has a different kind of tolerance as well. Science can not tolerate Creationism because there is no evidence to support it. Until there is evidence to show that Creationism is a legit possibility, it is placed in the same category as the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" or the theory where I go back in time 4 billion years, take a dump in a pond, and all of you are the products of my shit.

Science is based on evidence, possibility means nothing to science because there are an infinite amount of possibilities.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #78
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

I went to work, numbnuts.

And torrere, what's good and what's bad? That is based on individual culture. Who am I to judge a culture. I'm not going to, if there are differences then who am I to tell them off. I'm not going to be a missionary and spread atheism, because why is it necessary. And learn about other people's beliefs, listen, I'm going to be an anthropology major, I come from a very diverse background so I don't like you fucking prejudging my life. Why do all the so called evolutionists and atheists HERE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD like to be intolerant, because that's the message I'm getting. Lazy tolerance, you don't know me so how about you shut the fuck up ya goddamn fool. I am not that open of a person so I do not disclose openly my lifestyle and what happens but you fucking dolt seem to have written my autobiography and have you it involves religion A LOT and my relationship with atheism is MY OWN and will not have a bunch of other atheists tell me how I should think about tolerance and why other religions are wrong and why they are "bad". I could write a book for creationist arguments but I don't even need to. You atheists and evolutionists here are good enough evidence to support why the mainstream media doesn't support atheism. I'm a goddamn atheist and evolutionist but I will fucking have Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and pagan friends who follow a faith and I do respect each and every one of them as a person, as a human. They are not "bad" they are just different. If you want this place to become a fucking homogenous atheist country then you are just like the neo-cons trying to force God in school.

Last edited by Jeboduuza; 07-15-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Jeboduuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #79
rkzenrage

Quote:
I went to work, numbnuts... fuck up ya goddamn fool... tell me how I should think about tolerance
LOLZ!!!
I LOVE how you make my point every time you post.
Who cares what you are or who your friends are? No one has mentioned either... that is all in your head.
Cite please.

No one has said shit about what you should think.
Again, cite.

I would love to see what happens to the words when you read them... they must do a crazy dance. I bet it's fun!

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-16-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:04 AM   #80
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Wrong. They teach the science of evolution at my daughters' Catholic school. There may be a backward program out there, but creationism is not a Catholic doctrine.
OMG!!!!!... you told him what to think!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrere View Post
I think that Jeb endorses a very lazy sort of tolerance. He fails to distinguish between religious moderates like rkzenrage's parents, and religious extremists like the Creationists. He does not distinguish between evangelicals, who often subscribe to creationism, and the Catholic Church, which says that God used evolution to fashion our bodies. He doesn't want to think about science or faith or the differences between them. He tries to avoid conflict between people who disagree by forcing both to shut up.

He espouses tolerance so that he doesn't have to learn about other people's beliefs -- he already superficially supports them. He writes a blank moral check for creationists and doesn't worry that they're trying to force creationism on school children. He writes a blank moral check for all of Hinduism, says it's all okay, and doesn't see the ugly caste system. He writes a blank moral check for all of Islam, says it's a religion of peace and scientific advancement, and doesn't worry himself about female genital mutilation.

He doesn't have any way to identify what's good and what's bad, nor what's right and what's wrong. So instead he claims that everything is good and anyone who says otherwise is bad.

Finally, he's not an athiest because he doesn't believe in God. He's an athiest because he doesn't want to go to church.
Who ever stated what my parents beliefs are?
He made that up on his own... he does that, assumes stuff, or the magic word fairy shows him "things".
I like what you said, but I can break-it-down.
"if you disagree with someone's statements or belief and state that you are disrespecting the person" is what he is saying... UTTER bullshit.
Though I agree with the probability about moral relativism, he has not stated that, so I won't speculate on it.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-16-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #81
rkzenrage

Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #82
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Why do all the so called evolutionists and atheists HERE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD like to be intolerant, because that's the message I'm getting. Lazy tolerance, you don't know me so how about you shut the fuck up ya goddamn fool. I am not that open of a person so I do not disclose openly my lifestyle and what happens but you fucking dolt seem to have written my autobiography and have you it involves religion A LOT and my relationship with atheism is MY OWN and will not have a bunch of other atheists tell me how I should think about tolerance and why other religions are wrong and why they are "bad". I could write a book for creationist arguments but I don't even need to. You atheists and evolutionists here are good enough evidence to support why the mainstream media doesn't support atheism. I'm a goddamn atheist and evolutionist but I will fucking have Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and pagan friends who follow a faith and I do respect each and every one of them as a person, as a human. They are not "bad" they are just different. If you want this place to become a fucking homogenous atheist country then you are just like the neo-cons trying to force God in school.
Who the fuck rattled his cage? At what point does not wanting creationism foisted onto children through their schools equate to intolerance of other peoples' faiths?

Actually, I really am deeply intolerant of religion. I think it damages us as people to base our lives and our moral codes on fairy dust and the writings of the long dead. Doesn't mean I don't have Christian and Moslem friends. They no doubt see my take on the world as deeply flawed and wilfuly ignorant of the truth. Doesn't mean they can't have atheist friends.....see how that works?

Arrogant, fucking prick. Why are you banging their drum, you alleged-atheist? There's plenty of intelligent, well read, reasonable Christians on this board who can do a much better job of 'defending' their faith from the intolerance of their atheist fellow-dwellars. In fact...you've managed, rather remarkably to unite a very disparate group of people whose views on faith generally are poles apart...

Takes a fair amount to annoy me, but you've succeeded handsomely.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now, now, Dana, make some tea and pet the dog.

Tolerance is, not fucking with people just because they hold different views.

Tolerance is not, letting people fuck with you, because you have different views.

What the creation activists are doing is fucking with everyone else.
I do not welcome the creationist overlords.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #84
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My apologies, that post was somewhat harsh.

*brews a mug of tea and digs out a biscuit for Pilau*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Harsh doesn't make it untrue. Sometimes even more true.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 AM   #86
rkzenrage

Quote:
Takes a fair amount to annoy me, but you've succeeded handsomely.
Really? I think they're funny. Perhaps if they actually read and answered other posts I would take them seriously, but they are just trolling, so it's funny.
I don't think it was that harsh.
Class act apologizing.