Torrere
a real smartass

Iran

Please Mr. Bush, let's not invade Iran.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

It would never get passed, we have no more extra troops and the senate and house would NEVER allow it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Not in a million years....

Iran, with 60 million people and a military to match, would be a most worthy adversary.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Ibby
erika

But Bush doesnt care about congress, remember? It's not a war, its an executively declared emergency requiring use of military strength by the president. He doesnt listen to Congress at all. Even less now that it's not completely in his pocket.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

What troops is he going to use?

Personally, I am against the fact of pissing Russia and China off as well. They are actually working with us on the Iran issue and if we screw it up, I think there will be another 30 days of half staffed flags.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
Toymented
Without Explanation

I heard Congressman Charles Rangel of NY recently introduced legislation to bring back the military draft in the US.
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If the US invades Iran, it'll make Iraq look like a walk in the park...with an icecream sundae.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymented View Post
I heard Congressman Charles Rangel of NY recently introduced legislation to bring back the military draft in the US.
He did that to avoid war. If we had to institute a draft, no one would support the war.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Toymented
Without Explanation

Escalation = Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
He did that to avoid war. If we had to institute a draft, no one would support the war.
Boy, that's wishful thinking. GW might just take Rangel up on it and re-institute the draft on executive order.

GW doesn't have support for an escalation, but that's not stopping him, is it?
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
Ibby
erika

A draft would bring about the quickest possible end to this war. Simple as that.

I still don't support it though. A draft is NEVER justified.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This report claims;
Quote:
A June 2005 Associate Press/Ipsos poll found that 27 percent of respondents supported the reinstatement of the military draft in the United States. Reinstatement of the draft was far more popular immediately following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, when 76 percent of Americans supported a renewed draft if it becomes clear that more soldiers are needed in the war against terrorism.
That 76% has an "if" clause in there, but it was an emotional time.

I would believe that 27% support the draft today, also. I'd also believe there's an equal number that are dead set against it.

The other 46%? I'd guess there are quite a few that don't give a shit one way or the other.....or anything else the government does, that doesn't effect them directly & immediately. You know them.... they're so self centered, making money and amusing themselves is all they know. What? 10%? 20%?

That still leaves a group larger than the yeas or nays, the swing group. Probably, if asked by a close friend, would state an opinion but feel it's up to the government to do what they have to do. Maybe feel a little helpless in the face of Uncle Sam or even afraid of pissing off business contacts by appearing to be on the wrong side. A bit of the love it or leave it, but never, ever, criticize it.

Where was I going? Oh yeah, don't assume a draft would stir up that much controversy...unlikely but possible.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Being of draft age and obviously knowing kids of draft age I will tell you the two most quoted statements when it comes to Bush.

"Bush is an idiot"
"I don't really care, as long as I don't get drafted"

If their was a draft in the war against terror, colleges would riot. Parents would freak out, Bush would have the whole US population except maybe 10-15% not just against him, but out to kill him.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There will be no draft. I pointed this out here in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and I will now point this out in 2007.

Sorry Rich, I have to use you as a foil once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy 3/2003
My son is 17 years old. At the rate we are sending troops over, and with the possibility of a much larger than anticipated occupation force, there may be a draft in 2-3 years. For the first time in 20 years, there is a measurable chance that in the next 5 years I might be laying flowers in front of my son's name on some granite wall in Washington.
It's four years since this "in the next 5 years" statement and STILL the hand-wringing goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy 11/2003
He can't afford for the economy to pick up in the South for the next 4 years. The other reason, besides patriotism, for the high rate of armed forces volunteerism in the South is the use of the armed forces as 'employer of last resort'.

With the army pounding sand in Iraq, everyone who signs up knows where they will be for the next 12 months. If recruitment levels fall too low, then the US faces the real prospect of reinstituting the draft.
Was he right about that? Or utterly and completely wrong on all counts? Since the economy has been strong for three years, are there no people wanting to sign up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy 11/2004
Since the war in Iraq began I have mentioned that I told my 18-year-old son that I believed that there was a %20 chance that there would be a draft in the next six years, the time during which I think he would be eligible.

Considering recent developments, and comments from both Democrats and Republicans, I am now bumping that up to %25. The only unknown is the war in Iraq and the time and manpower required.
Rich's "only" unknown turned out badly. No draft yet. Could it be there was more Rich didn't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy 6/2005
The idea of not having a draft may go down in history as being the biggest campaign lie that Bush told.
You can hate him for his actual policies, or you can hate him for the policies you make up in your head.

Don't worry Rich, there is no chance your son will serve his country.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Being of draft age and obviously knowing kids of draft age I will tell you the two most quoted statements when it comes to Bush.

"Bush is an idiot"
"I don't really care, as long as I don't get drafted"

If their was a draft in the war against terror, colleges would riot. Parents would freak out, Bush would have the whole US population except maybe 10-15% not just against him, but out to kill him.
I think you're overstating things quite a bit there PH. I think most everyone feels that way about the prospect of being forced to serve their country. You could insert whatever current Presidents name you wanted in that statement. It wouldn't matter one iota - NO parent wants their kid to die & no "kid"wants to go to war & die either - except maybe UG. But his kind are far and few between. The number of Americans who were around for WWI and WWII are few and unfortunately my generation and more so yours have lost the lessons they learned and fought for. We have reaped the benefits of their blood and been brought up in the freedom they died for. Stories told, yes, but the individual experience and learning is not ours to have - perhaps unfortunately.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Well here are some articles about a US-Iranian war. If I find more I will post them.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle7147.htm

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle16169.htm