The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #196
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Charge by the hour, let him help, if he slows you down he pays more.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #197
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Fun, fun, fun! Do good and maybe he'll hire you for other jobs, you know, the dangerous/dirty ones he won't do.
---snip
You're right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Unusual for a guy to let you work for him. You'll learn about it too, which is even better.
You're right, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If I was an electrician, I would be happy to let homeowners help, but I would charge extra, not less.
You're smart and right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Charge by the hour, let him help, if he slows you down he pays more.
There's a certain logic here, but it doesn't lead directly to soaking in the damn tub...
Old 05-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #198
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Today the electrician comes to upgrade our electrical service.

--snip--

So the new day one will be *me* crawling under the house in the crawlspace to drag the pair of four conductor (probably AWG 6) cables from the entrance to the crawlspace which is next to the deck under the house to the opposite side of the house where the electrical service, meter, and panel are now.

--snip
corrected.

Let's get started!

First step, open the crawlspace and get in there.

Oh shit.

Name:  IMG_20190511_102003sm.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  483.8 KB

What the ever-flowing fucking fuck?? There is a Lake. of. Shit. under the house???

Stunned. Gutted. Had the shit knocked out of me (which collected in a pool under the house directly at the entrance to the crawlspace). Go on, laugh. All other options are worse.

In this picture, taken a few minutes later, you can see the source of the problem. I have an opening on my main drain, a couple feet from the tub and the toilet and the sink and the main stack from the upstairs bathroom. That big, dark empty circle? That's what the inside of a drainpipe looks like. And if you can see in, water can get out.

Name:  IMG_20190511_102009sm.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  410.4 KB

A keen observer of the first two pictures would have noticed a straight line pointing toward the opening in the drain. I wonder what it points to in the other direction?

Name:  IMG_20190511_102025sm.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  391.7 KB

Did I says source earlier? I was wrong, that's one source, here's the other. This is the drain from the kitchen, the sink and the dishwasher. Another gaping, gushing black hole. It's uphill from the lake, that's why the put lakes where they put them, duh. I need to get into this "area". What the fuck am I gonna do?

Name:  IMG_20190511_112545sm.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  286.1 KB

That straight line is a two inch copper pipe that has FALLEN OUT of its installation between the two fittings at the kitchen and the main drain. How does that happen? I honestly don't know. It doesn't appear to have been soldered in, which is ok, since I will have a clean pipe end and clean (and I use the term mechanically, because, gross) fitting to work with when I reinstall it today.

I'll make another set of pics and notes, probably another thread for this surprise DIY Plumbing Emergency Repair. Meanwhile, if any of you guys have a clue how that pipe fell out, speak up. JFC.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #199
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Maybe the weight of the spider webs pulled it down.

I know, not helping.

At least you know about the problem now. I would have thought that there would be an aroma from the drain, if not the sound of water splashing from the sink drain.

YMMV

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #200
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
… That straight line is a two inch copper pipe that has FALLEN OUT of its installation between the two fittings at the kitchen and the main drain. How does that happen? I honestly don't know. …

… Meanwhile, if any of you guys have a clue how that pipe fell out, speak up. JFC.
Some DIYers will leave a loose connection, perhaps just banded together with a collet, and the connector rusts away. It can be done to have a ready access point in which to run an auger to unclog pipes in locations that are difficult (or impossible) to reach from above because of the path to the clog. Evaluate your drain network for that to determine how you want to seal it at that point.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #201
Griff
still says videotape

Grim tidings.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #202
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Is it possible that those black pipes are the former system? The white ones look newer. Maybe they just left those parts of what has been bypassed. Or are they vents? Is the ground / shit wet? Get someone to flush while you're down there and listen.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #203
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Make sure you don't look into the pipe when doing this...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #204
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

My God, you've stumbled onto a magic portal to Trump's secret Cabinet Room. You're just lucky the slithery members weren't meeting.
Best plan is to brick it up, run your wiring above ground and enjoy the deck.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #205
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I thought you might like to see the next phase of Big V's project...
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #206
Griff
still says videotape

I hope his neighbors are cool.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #207
Peterdowe
Belt Conveyor

Now, that's just fantastic!
Peterdowe is offline   Reply With Quote