The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Supreme Court justices can be impeached.
Much easier not to put them there, I'd assume. Trump has ah... binders of judges. I'm sure he has someone more judicious than the guy we heard from today.

Dr. Ford sounded legit. Whether Pelosi sat on her information is another question. I'd need to see the time-line. Proportional response to the Garland move? It is a hardball play but proportional as long as Dr. Ford is for real.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Dr. Ford sounded legit"

they both did ~ but that shouldn't be enough evidence for anyone, right?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 PM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Definitely not. But if one side took a lie detector test and actively wants the FBI to investigate, while the other side is refusing to do either... I'm on the side that is in favor of more evidence-gathering.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #19
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's not my opinion that both sounded legit. Kavanagh sounded evasive and butthurt.

Also.... If Ford is lying why doesn't Kavanaugh sue her for defamation?
Old 09-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #20
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Dr. Ford sounded legit. Whether Pelosi sat on her information is another question. I'd need to see the time-line. Proportional response to the Garland move? It is a hardball play but proportional as long as Dr. Ford is for real.
Feinstein, not Pelosi.

But yes, even if the Democrats did try to pull a mini-Garland and delay the vote a week, that has no bearing on the veracity of Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
"Dr. Ford sounded legit"

Ford answered every question directly and as the questioner intended the question to be interpreted, and is requesting further investigation, to gather more evidence. The opposite is true for Kavanaugh.

And the football team calling themselves the "alumni" of a girl means they were her pals? No. Just no. They were claiming they had sex with her. I expect they were lying then, but he was definitely lying in the hearing.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Lying?

Hahahaha.

Google Devil's Triangle and tell me how far down the search results you have to go to get to the "drinking game".
Old 09-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Whoopsie!

Turns out, there have been recent edits to The Internet to match Kavanagh's description.

Talk about fitting the data to the conclusion....
Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

~ but that shouldn't be enough evidence for anyone, right?

I mean I can't see high school broheim lingo is proof of anything worthwhile, other than you figure he might have gotten his buddies to beat us up in high school.

Personally I'm over that wretched time period, but are you guys ok?
Old 09-28-2018, 01:06 AM   #24
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Appreciate what is happening here. First, other Republicans were screaming that they would be punished in November if the hearings were not conducted with Senatorial courtesy.

Second, no committee Senator will be swayed. This entire presentation only targets some moderate Republican Senators.

Third, question is quite simple. Does behavior in high school and college have any relevance to qualification of a judge? This behavior was acceptable even some years ago. Harvey Weinstein changed that. So, is behavior that is unacceptable for adults today relevant to what someone did in high school and college? Does that behavior define core values of the man?

A few moderate Republican Senators will be the only ones answering that question. Only one is on the committee.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
"Dr. Ford sounded legit"

Definitely not enough for a legal proceeding. However, there is enough there for a more serious look if you're getting a lifetime appointment.

Temperament is an issue. Can this guy deal fairly with the political cases that come before the court? Throwing the Clinton red meat out there looks to me either politically calculated or paranoid. I want someone coolly looking at the law. Can this guy do that?

For the record I'm over high school but is the nominee?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...f-the-clintons

I would guess this makes him very attractive to the base, pretty repulsive to mainline Democrats, and a real problem for Joe Manchin.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #26
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
if you're getting a lifetime appointment
SC justices can be impeached.

Quote:
Throwing the Clinton red meat out there looks to me either politically calculated or paranoid. I want someone coolly looking at the law. Can this guy do that?
We could judge him on his body of work, on the 12 years on the second-highest court but... ah that is pretty irrelevant I guess. There's apparently nothing to see there (or we would have already gotten an earful about it)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
Happy Monkey

Quote:
I mean I can't see high school broheim lingo is proof of anything worthwhile, other than you figure he might have gotten his buddies to beat us up in high school.
Lying under oath multiple times yesterday, plus multiple times earlier in the process (see links in first paragraph).
Quote:
We could judge him on his body of work, on the 12 years on the second-highest court but... ah that is pretty irrelevant I guess. There's apparently nothing to see there (or we would have already gotten an earful about it)
His body of work was discussed in that earlier process, during which he lied. This was a hearing specifically about the sexual assault, which is why it wasn't discussed there.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #28
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

He sounded, appeared, tentative and timid. He had no fire in his belly.

She sounded, appeared, wounded and fragile. She had no fire in her belly.

Neither was credible, neither convincing.

As performance art: the whole event gets a half a star out of a possible ten stars.

As a means of sussin' out the truth: zero out of a possible ten.

We know not one goddamned thing more today than we did at the beginning of yesterday.

Led by the nose we are, not by beef but only by the promise of beef, to one of two troughs where we're expected to drink deep and shut the fuck up.

No, nope, forget that noise.

I say Trump should dump Kav and find a woman of comparabe experience...vet the hell out of her...have the vetting be public.

Then bring her before the committee and dare the bastids to wreck her...make them vote on 'her' and not on an accusation about her.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'll buy the earlier in the process issues -- and it would be nice if the committee actually cared. But lying about high school yearbook terminology? Bill Clinton should *definitely* have been impeached, if that is the standard. I don't think he should have been impeached, do you?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #30
Happy Monkey

The high school yearbook lies were just a few of the most obvious ones. He also repeatedly claimed that he was of a legal drinking age, even though he missed the cutoff when they raised it in Maryland.

And we seem to have slid from "Ford and Kavanaugh were both legit" to "Kavanaugh's most obvious lies were about trivial things".
|_______________| [pics]