The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #16
SPUCK
Professor

xo; Are you serious? My filter of email addresses from spam that I have methodically declared as spam is 9.8MB of just addresses!!! Can I hack this out and send it in to them?

What do they do with it?
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Worked for me. I saw a snippet on the web somewhere, giving that email address and suggesting what I did. I have no idea what goes on at the other end, they don't acknowledge or anything. Maybe that address is attached to a machine like Bill Shackelford's.

But slowly, over months and months, the spam tapered off.
Thinking more about it, I was wrong. I was sending the whole header of each email, after removing the body, so they could possibly mine hidden(from me anyway) information. Sorry to mislead you.

Since I don't know what was going on at their end, there's no way of knowing exactly what they want. But by passing them on every day, they see frequency as well, I guess.

They might work on bulk, like having a chat with the biggest offenders.....not on the administrations donor list.
It could also just be coincidence like 24 beers in a case. But, it was strangely satisfying to do something, anything, and like a wise man once said.....can't hurt.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My spam level dropped tremendously a couple of weeks back, for a couple of weeks, but has now returned to its usual level. Based on the nonsensical subjects and initial content, plus the fact that they are virtually *all* touting stocks lately, I surmise that they are from the same source ultimately.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #19
Pie
Gone and done

I average 50-70 spams a day. I only get one or two that actually make it into my inbox, however. The rest go into a folder descriptively labeled "spam".
Spamassassin and Razor are my heros.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

As I mentioned in another thread, I transitioned the Dallas family email service over to Google Apps for Your Domain, primarily on the strength of the spam filtering as compared to other low-cost options.

Recently Miss Dallas commented that she didn't like it.. she preferred the older system. When I asked why, she said, "The spam filter isn't that good. There are 75 messages in my spam mailbox." At this point Mrs. Dallas and I both started laughing, and after we explained that the spam was SUPPOSED to be there, we showed her ours. (I forget how many she had, but mine is regularly over 2,000.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #21
monster
I hear them call the tide

I get about one spam message a week. If that. And it always ends up inthe spam box.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Elspode, I went though a stock cycle, too. In addition to the normal penny stocks. Spampal rarely lets one through, but I've found stuff in the spam folder that I was cursing people for not sending.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #23
SPUCK
Professor

Most of my spam comes, I'm sure, from one @sshole. Because I will get like 35 a day with a bunch of random first names with little or no subject or the same exact subjects, often all in a row. I'd like to find this SOB.. Maybe I could cut back my 250 a day. Spam filters don't work because inevitably some business item ends up 'filtered' and I feel like an idiot not responding.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm in a male enhancement and anxiety drugs trend lately.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
bshack
Neophyte-in-training

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
As an artistic statement, I love it. However, taking an electronic abomination and using it to generate more physical waste seems a bit silly. I mean, what's he going to build when he decides he doesn't like air pollution? A big smokestack?
Please note that all the paper processed by Spamtrap is recycled. Please visit here for more information:

http://billshackelford.com/home/blog...0318101829_856

Thanks,

- Bill Shackelford
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #26
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

What annoys me is these 'we are confirming your free .....' offers that will not disappear. They keep on popping up in Thunderbird. I keep on using the junk button but new ones keep coming in. I keep on meaning to flag them as spam online in Comcast mail in the hopes that it's filter will be smarter, but I keep forgetting.

What I would like is a way for an e-mail client to retroactively flag a message as spam to the server.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
Please note that all the paper processed by Spamtrap is recycled. Please visit here for more information:

Bill, thanks for joining us here.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post

Thanks,

- Bill Shackelford
Hi Bill, welcome. As I understand it, this is an art installation and not a recommended method of spam disposal, right?

You state you bought two reams of recycled paper for this. I assume that will probably be all you use. Using recycled paper is commendable, but really, this installation isn't going to rape any forests.......maybe a couple limbs. Yeah, I know, every little bit helps, good habit to cultivate, set an example..... but two reams of paper wouldn't wrap 5 minutes production of chewing gum.
I'm just saying you shouldn't feel it's necessary to defend wasting paper on an art installation.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #29
bshack
Neophyte-in-training

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Hi Bill, welcome. As I understand it, this is an art installation and not a recommended method of spam disposal, right?

You state you bought two reams of recycled paper for this. I assume that will probably be all you use. Using recycled paper is commendable, but really, this installation isn't going to rape any forests.......maybe a couple limbs. Yeah, I know, every little bit helps, good habit to cultivate, set an example..... but two reams of paper wouldn't wrap 5 minutes production of chewing gum.
I'm just saying you shouldn't feel it's necessary to defend wasting paper on an art installation.
It is an installation about the concept of a spamtrap email address... I don't recommend your company's IT department implement one of these machines in your office

I felt it important to mention the recycled paper because the appearance of wasting paper seems to clash with the rest of my body of work. I have heard this from several different people. I felt it necessary to explain my views and how everything I have made ties into it. People might not agree with what I think but at least they will know I am being consistent.

Thanks!

- Bill Shackelford
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
It is an installation about the concept of a spamtrap email address... I don't recommend your company's IT department implement one of these machines in your office
We don't have to, because you have given life to the concept. IotD often lives on the edge of what is art, and we discuss it often. I say this is art because it has given life to the concept.

Everybody talks about spam in very emotional terms. It's a rich motherlode for artistic interpretation, and good work by you, Bill, to mine it!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote