The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Palestinians

It's nice to see how well the Palestinian's are handling the Gaza strip now the bad, bad Jews are gone. Looting, gun-running, tearing cables up from the ground. And their "security" forces simply look on, or in some cases, assist in the destruction. The Palestinian's remind me of some people my dad once rented a nice house to. They not only destroyed the house, they took the bathroom sink with them when they left.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

I was just thinking about this very subject just seconds before I read your thread (spooky). I read an article just two days ago about the looting that's going on there right now. Aparently, there are these high-tech greenhouses that the Jews built and they left behind. The Prime Minister pleaded with the Palestinian people not to loot the greenhouses becuase they were part of the Palestinian rebuild program. You think that stopped them? Phhht, no. They gutted the place taking plastic sheeting, hoses, and anything that wasn't nailed down. At first, I want to say these people are incapable of running their own country, but then you look at what happened in NO. Desparate people do desparate things. People with nothing seize the opportunity to gain something. Sad.

The bathroom sink story reminded me of something some here at work told me. He spent a couple of years in Spain. He said that when people move out of appartments (more like condos than rented apt's here), they take everything including kitchen cabinets, sinks, appliances, and in some cases, the toilets. How would you like to help move someone there?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Belmont Club puts it in too-harsh focus, I'll just copy his practice:

August:
Quote:
NEW YORK — American Jewish philanthropists contributed $14 million to buy former Gaza settlers’ greenhouses for Palestinians, a news report said yesterday. Without the funds, the Jewish settlers would have destroyed the greenhouses to keep them out of Arab hands as they were forced out of Gaza Strip, The New York Times said. The greenhouses provide jobs for 3,500 Palestinians and had been a lucrative market for fresh produces for Jewish settlers.
September:
Quote:
NEVE DEKALIM, Gaza Strip (AP) — Palestinians looted dozens of greenhouses on Tuesday, walking off with irrigation hoses, water pumps and plastic sheeting in a blow to fledgling efforts to reconstruct the Gaza Strip. ... Palestinian police stood by helplessly Tuesday as looters carted off materials from greenhouses in several settlements, and commanders complained they did not have enough manpower to protect the prized assets. In some instances, there was no security and in others, police even joined the looters, witnesses said.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

and so it continues, Hamas fires missiles from Gaza:
Quote:
JERUSALEM, Sept. 24 -- Palestinian gunmen fired a barrage of homemade missiles from the Gaza Strip into southern Israel before dawn Saturday, wounding five Israeli civilians, a military official said. Attack helicopters responded hours later by striking a weapons factory and warehouse in Gaza, the first Israeli military operation inside the strip since Israel completed its withdrawal from the area this month. ...

Hamas, formally known as the Islamic Resistance Movement, accused Israel of firing missiles at the vehicle from an unmanned aircraft, which Israeli military officials denied. Witnesses said the explosion did not leave the telltale crater of a missile strike, a method Israel has used frequently against Hamas leaders and gunmen in the past.
Two weeks from getting the land and they are firing missiles from it.

Why did they do it? Because Hamas morons blew up their own war parade and had to blame it on Jews:
Quote:
Sept. 23 - A Palestinian pickup truck carrying rockets exploded today at a large Hamas rally as the group paraded its weapons through a densely packed refugee camp in the Gaza Strip. At least 15 Palestinians were killed more than 80 were injured, Palestinian medical officials said. ... The most likely cause of the blast appeared to be the rockets exploding by accident. A spokesman for the Palestinian Interior Ministry, Tawfiq Abu Khossa, said the cause was under investigation. However, Hamas said the rockets were dummies and did not contain explosives. The group alleged that an Israeli airstrike was responsible and said it would hit at Israel.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So the Palestinian's position is the Hamas are idiots but they're our idiots.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I say we get more mixed up with these people.