The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Low Carb (again)

Anyone want to join me and Aden? We've started out this morning. We both want to lose about 20kg's, so we figure if we support each other this should be the way to go. I expect Aden will drop his weight pretty quickly now footy season is starting back. He'll be getting at least 3, maybe 4 solid cardio sessions in each week, plus some weights training. I wont be going so hard on the exercise simply because I just don't have time. I am hoping to get the pram out and get walking a bit more now that the kids and I have a decent routine set up. I have found the low carb/atkins type diet option to be the best for me and I will lose at least 1kg a week if I stick to my guns with it.

So, who's with me? Anyone? Trilby maybe? We could do it together and encourage each other like the last time (when I got pregnant and it all went balls up for me ). Might be something to focus on outside of your current worries?

Anyway, I'm ready to go! Time to get back to the old me finally. After 15 or so years!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'm with the program for weight loss, although not Atkins specifically. Cutting out refined carbs for sure, and cutting down on grains, but not doing the high fat/animal fat part. However, I need to lose the steroid weight I gained during chemo (what an insult!!!) and am starting back at the gym tomorrow.

I want my body back! I'm on board.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Aliantha

Yay!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ali--I would LOVE to do it with you but my current financial situations dictates otherwise.

Plus, with all I've been reading about meat lately---I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Not a nut who doesn't eat cheese but probably NOT eggs and not meat. but I do like the adkins shakes/bars.

I wish you both luck.

ortho---I know the pain of steroid weight all too well. AND I sat on the couch for a year while I had chemo so, truly, you are a wonder to me. I had many, many breakdowns and cried for no reason and felt so lonely. You are an inspiration but I can't figure out how you're doing it. You're so strong, woman!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
I had many, many breakdowns and cried for no reason and felt so lonely.
I hear you! And I didn't have Adriamycin, which was an extra misery for you. Everybody's experience is different, and probably each time too for those unlucky enough to have to do this more than once. I'm dreading the tamoxifen part of this (supposed to start March 20). I don't even know if I'll do it.

I'm basically a vegetarian, mostly vegan - the odd organic egg white in a salad, and some fish now and then. I've lost my taste for meat. It's interesting how tastes change, takes about three weeks to stop craving things.

You don't have to buy special foods and bars, Tril. Maybe keep tabs here anyway? I'm starting very slowly at the gym; between chemo fatigue and the fact that I get a migraine if I push my heart rate up too far, I'll be a pathetic figure there among the 18 year olds (at the university fitness center).
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Be careful with that atkins stuff Ali, I've been hearing all kinds of scary stuff about low carb, high protein diets lately.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
orthodoc

So, how do we do this? Check in about the day's menu? Activity? Difficulties encountered?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Aliantha

Usually just a discussion thread about good and bad stuff to do with how it's going. Sharing recipes. Offering encoutagement. Pretty broad terms of reference really. lol. I just started a thread so i can centralise my own thought on it, and hopefully have a couple of sidekicks. Lola was with us last time too. I think she's doing ok on her own now though.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Aliantha

Dana, what have you heard?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
orthodoc

I've been keeping track of calories etc. on myfitnesspal.com - it does help keep me realistic about portions and food types. For example, sushi is NOT a diet food! And I can see how well a huge healthy salad stacks up in the nutrients and calories department.

I got to the gym today, and wow - it's going to be small steps. Cardio feels like I'm struggling uphill wearing a 60 lb backpack. I could only do 12 minutes, then a few low weights and some limited abs. However, it's a place to start.

Small victories ... I got in and out of the grocery store without buying an apple fritter (my Saturday morning downfall)! I thought about no refined sugar and made myself steer my cart away from the donut case ... two or three times. I really, really wanted one, but did NOT succumb (this time).
Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Aliantha

I will be going back to mfp too. I found it invaluable.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Greek yogurt (plain and non-fat) with thawed frozen blueberries and chopped almonds!

Pretty much my workday breakfast. High protein, good carb and good fat.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
DanaC

I can't find the damned article now. There was some actor or celeb who got himself into a bit of a state on one of the extreme low carb diets which spawned a bunch of news reports about low carb diets generally.

Apparently there's some thought that it might cause or maybe just exacerbate undiagnosed heart disease. Something to do with the arteries.

As I recall the advice was not to do the more extreme end of that diet type, but to temper it a little.

Which sort of makes sense to me. I don't think extremes of any kind are good for you.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The danger with no-carb diets is that you can end up with too high of a percentage of protein, and this can lead to ketosis, which is where your body starts breaking down protein for energy instead of glucose, which is hard on the kidneys, among other things.

When people say "carbs" they mean grains and sugars, but in actuality, there are carbohydrates in almost all foods, including fruits and veggies. But plant carbs break down differently in the body, so they're not the same kind of empty-calorie carbs that people are trying to avoid with what they call no/low-carb diets. Your body must have carbohydrates in some form, or it goes into ketosis.

If you read the entirety of Atkins' advice, you are supposed to replace bread-carbs with lots of veggies, and people who are just starting out are advised to regularly check their urine with Ketostix (available over-the-counter, used primarily by diabetics) to make definitely sure their diet is properly balanced and they are not in ketosis. But most people don't learn the complete rules of the diet; they just hear the part where they shouldn't eat bread, and decide they'll eat a pile of pork chops for dinner every night instead, easy peasy.

Bottom line, protein should be no more than about 25% of any diet. (And ideally part of that should be nuts/legumes instead of all meat, but that's a different issue.) As long as you're replacing all your eliminated grain/sugar carbs with fruit and veggies, you should be fine.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
DanaC

I'm sure there was something to do with the heart too... can't find it now...there was something about it on the radio ...and the bbc site. I happened upon the story whilst scanning headlines. Damnit it was only a couple of weeks ago. I jave a memory like a fucking sieve.

Tried googling it, all I'm getting is stuff from 2009 though. Maybe I dreamt it.