The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #3811
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
We're bribing them to buy US planes instead of Airbus.

Bribing? Surely not.

I think such payments are known as 'commissions' in the Middle East.

From the NY Times:

Quote:
BAE Systems, Europe’s largest military contractor, agreed on Friday to plead guilty to two criminal charges and pay nearly $450 million in penalties in the United States and Britain to end long-running investigations into questionable payments made to win huge contracts overseas.
Link

ETA Have a look at the 'Corruption allegations' section of this Wiki article:

Link

Last edited by Carruthers; 05-17-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: As stated
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #3812
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Pics from inside an BDSM adult movie studio

Outside of a juggy, trussed up statue, it's surprisingly safe for work.

YMMV

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #3813
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Tiny Vehicles Made From Watch Parts

I thought I had too much time on my hands...Good God.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #3814
Pamela
Deplorable

Ah, Grav found pics of the old kink.com studios, while they were moving locations.
I have seen most of those sets in one video or another. Interesting to see them minus the "stuff" and performers.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #3815
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I discovered the website of the New England Historical Society and was surprised it's loaded with short quick reads on historical New England.
I discovered the Cod Fish started the revolutionary war. One of the top 25 worst US tornados was in Worcester MA. The Scots-Irish immigrants, were really Scots who moved to Ireland for 60 or 70 years then came to the US, kept MA from takeing over NH.

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #3816
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So, I'm watching the folks @ JPL build the Mars 2020 rover, LIVE...

...and I can't help thinking it looks like nothing if not a Daft Punk concert, especially when the two workers are side-by-side at the cart on screen right.

I make me laugh sometimes.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #3817
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How Will The Internet Influence Democracy?

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/11618
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #3818
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Part of a group of essays, from the year 2000, on "What is today's most important unreported story?"

It's fascinating, because they are mostly wrong. People wrote about what they knew, what they figured was important.

Nobody wrote about Islamic terrorism, and nobody wrote about the weird financial instruments being created to game the financial system. Nobody wrote that the Internet was about to end half of retail. Nobody wrote that fracking was about to wildly change the game on energy and the US would become energy-independent. Nobody wrote about the rise of China, or the drop in global absolute poverty.

John Gilmore got it the closest with "The World Isn't Going to Hell".

Rheingold got it mostly right, and I enjoyed this, "While all eyes are on e-commerce, relatively few know about public opinion BBSs, cause-related marketing, web-accessible voting and finance data."

Public opinion BBSes are about to take over! Everybody get ready!

Okay we'll just say the Cellar was a first shot at it while social media found its legs.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #3819
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Opening salvo...

Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #3820
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
They turned the wheels.

And I missed it.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #3821
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How Will The Internet Influence Democracy?

Quote:
The PC and the Internet changed that. Desktop video, desktop radio, desktop debates, digicam journalism, drastically reduced the barriers to publishing and broadcasting. These technological capabilities have emerged only recently, and are evolving rapidly. While much attention is focused on how many-to-many audio technology is threatening the existing music industry, little attention is focused on political portals. While all eyes are on e-commerce, relatively few know about public opinion BBSs, cause-related marketing, web-accessible voting and finance data.

Look at VoxCap, and the Minnesota E-Democracy Project, project, the California Voter's foundation, and scores of other unreported experiments. Imagine what might happen if more people were told that the Web could help them remain free, as well as enhance their shopping experience?
Old 07-04-2019, 02:36 AM   #3822
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your Surgeon’s Childhood Hobbies May Affect Your Health

Quote:
Medical schools are noticing a decline in students’ dexterity, possibly from spending time swiping screens rather than developing fine motor skills through woodworking and sewing.
Could you tie a series of square knots around the neck of a teaspoon without, even slightly, moving the teaspoon? How about using tweezers to extract a grape from inside a roll of toilet paper, without piercing the grape’s skin or touching the sides of the roll? Aspiring surgeons should have the dexterity to accomplish such tasks. But increasingly, they don’t.

Faculty members at medical schools in the United States and Britain have noticed a marked decline in the manual dexterity of students and residents. Some say it’s because of fewer hands-on courses in primary and secondary schools — shop class, home economics, drawing, painting and music. Others blame too much time spent tapping and swiping screens rather than doing things that develop fine motor control like woodworking, model building and needlework. While clumsiness is a growing concern in medical schools, the extent and permanence of the problem are unclear...
Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #3823
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It'll all be done by robots soon anyway...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #3824
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OR, stop all surgery and just grind them up for Soylent Green.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #3825
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you have an interest in WW II aircraft nose art you can download an epdf of the B-17 Nose Art Name Directory.

Pages 7 to 48 + 65 to 91 list the name, group, squadron, and serial#, about 125 per page.
I'm amazed how many repeats there are, for instance 11 Umbriago, 12 Stinky(jr), 17 Queenie, 11 Old Ironsides, 17 Liberty Bell(e), 12 Impatient Virgin, 12 Fearless Fosdick, 16 Boomerang, 14 Bad Penny. I didn't even try to count the ones starting with Texas, Big, or Heaven.

There's about 15 pages of photographs but they are very poor quality.