The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Anyone like CB radio here?? (11 Meters)

I havent been on in awhile because my whip got knocked off my Imax 2000 in a wind event (Branches) and I just recently got a new whip to put on the mast but havent gotton round to doing it yet.....

I love CB......... Pure analog radio .. Its sad when ppl get on that dont care how they sound,thats not good.......

I have talked all round the world

Any others here?
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Even a good VHF TV antenna would have been sufficient as a temporary replacement. Nothing magical or special about an antenna should one need get on the CB band.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Yup I know....... One time in Connecticut @ my cousins house I was using thier huge TV antenna in the attic and talking round the world!! (My SWR was sky high but it worked)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Lola Bunny is a licensed HAM operator; but, she hasn't posted since the end of last year. While it's illegal for hams to use CB channels, many of them also have CB equipment since it's relatively inexpensive. I don't know whether she does CB too or not. You can ask her if she pops in.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll ask her.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
While it's illegal for hams to use CB channels...
How does holding a ham license make it illegal to use cb channels?

The only thing I can think of is if the ham op is over the (what is it ~4 watts?) power limit for citizen's band.

But that goes for anybody, not just hams.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
(My SWR was sky high but it worked)
SWR is irrelevant to (not a threat to hardware in) less than 5 watt transmitters.

Talking around the world? Well sometimes police (operating in similar frequencies) would get skip (reception) from departments two states away. But getting a CB to talk to other continents is rather unlikely.

I stumbled upon a 120 meter antenna. Then asked the ham about it. He had just talked to Japan early in the morning when skip was more likely. And using code. Voice at that distance (even with that much power) was not likely.

How does one get a CB to talk to another continent? Or was it to someone in Canada?
Old 06-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
How does holding a ham license make it illegal to use cb channels? ...
My understanding is that with HAM, the operator is licensed; but, the equipment doesn't have to be certified. With CB, the operator isn't licensed; but, the equipment does have to be certified. Since ham equipment is not certified, it cannot legally be used to broadcast over CB channels.

It would be possible to certify that part of ham equipment which can be modified for use with CB; but, it's economically impractical...cheaper to buy additional CB equipment.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
My understanding is that with HAM, the operator is licensed; but, the equipment doesn't have to be certified. With CB, the operator isn't licensed; but, the equipment does have to be certified.
Ham radio was created by and encouraged people to innovate. One needed technical knowledge to do that in a responsible manner. License was proof of that knowledge. CB radio operators need not have that knowledge. And so correctly defined are those guidelines.

A license then defined which frequencies and other parameters (ie modulation, wattage) were permitted in each band. So that interference with others was avoided.

Using CB to talk to other continents is quite unlikely. But strange weather has created unexpected surprises.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So have linear amplifiers.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
Pamela
Deplorable

I use my CB daily, but I rarely talk, just listen.

I use a Cobra 29NW pumped to 20w (don't snitch me out to the FCC )

Handle is Jellybean, in case you hear me around your area!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
I use my CB daily, but I rarely talk, just listen.
So how many channels still have consistent conversations any more? Last I heard it was almost all only on Channel 19.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Popdigr had an old White-face President cb w/a 150 watt push/pull linear waaay back there in the day. We were sitting in the driveway here in South Central (Kentucky, that is) talking to a guy in his "Kenworth Motel" while he was sitting on the side of the road in the Mojave desert.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
(don't snitch me out to the FCC
I think Uncle Charlie prolly has bigger fish to fry these days.

I can remember when I was a child Popdigr would get a phone call occasionally, "Stay off the radio for a day or two, Uncle Charlie's in town." And then we would ride around town looking for the FCC van.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
.....Talking around the world? Well sometimes police (operating in similar frequencies) would get skip (reception) from departments two states away. But getting a CB to talk to other continents is rather unlikely.
Well when the skip is in,YES you can talk all over the world.... I have talked to the UK several times..... One time I talked to a guy in france on sideband and we tried the trip on FM but it was a little too weak for FM contact (He couldnt hear me well and vise versa) Im sure if we went to AM it would be fine... (No hash level to get over)

Its quite fun.....