The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Dumb things sales reps have told you

If you have the kind of job where companies try to sell you stuff, you know the joy of hearing them make their pitch. What stupid/silly/inflated/etc. things have you gotten from them? Here's mine from today:

Me: Why was this completely innocent email the tech support folks at a software company sent me designated as spam by your email filtering service?

Rep: Looks like our content filter got it.

Me: Oh. Well what was in the email that made it look like spam to the content filter?

Rep: You know, I'm not familiar with it to that level of detail. Let me get my boss to talk to you.

Rep's boss: A lot of people use our product and they love it.

Me: That's nice. Can you tell me about this email?

Rep's boss: Well, we have over ten thousand content filtering rules. We couldn't tell you exactly which one a particular email violated.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

'twould be nice if the sales reps had a content filter like that attached to their lips.

i hate spam as much as the next guy, but i hate not getting email that i want even more. i dumped chesco.com after 7 or 8 years for that when their spam czar couldn't be controlled.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My combination of spam filters is running at something like 98% accuracy. But...when you get hundreds and hundreds of pieces of mail each month, even that 2% can catch some important stuff you would have much rather had.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 AM   #4
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

One time I was at a computer store in the 80s looking for a modem for my Commodore64.... I found a 2400baud modem and the guy said "2400 WONT WORK ON COMMODORE,ITS TOO FAST"

Well stupidly I listenend to him but I did end up getting a supramodem 2400 later and it worked fine!!!!!!!!!

People are stupid..... Dont listen to them!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote