The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Isara.com

First, this is not SPAM and I am in no way affiliated with this organization but since this is a charity site and am in a good mood I would like to inform you guys how it works.

Basically, Isara.com is the same as google or yahoo because it is search engine page that makes money from advertisements. The amount of money they get is determined by how many times the site is visited. The difference is that instead of keeping the money they make from advertisements they donate it to charity and use the money to help make kids safer in other countries. For example, they buy bike helmets for children in Thailand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isara.com
Your visits are converted into advertising revenue which Isara uses to create charity projects. So your searches, game plays, or anything you do at Isara, or its sister sites, makes a difference. For free!
They also have links to yahoo mail, gmail, and many others so you don't have to waste time to get to those.

If you visit the site or make it your homepage you are indirectly giving money to charity without giving up a penny. I'm not going to urge you or tell you to make it your homepage but I just wanted to let you guys know about this site.

http://www.isara.com/

More in detail how the site works:
http://www.isara.com/content/view/15/167/
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The question is how good a search engine is it?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I think it is the same as google's.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Same as Google? Why would they give away their coding when it and all that comes with it was sold for loadsa money?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

It says google next to the search engine so I'm assuming it is close. I dont' know anything about the site except what actually on it.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, I've got it now.... it is Google.
Isara.com set this up to make money (for charity) on this website the same way Google ads do. They are paying Google the $25,000 a month or more to do the searching, and expect to reap more than that from the ads, to pay Google, the operating expenses and do the charitable work.
Admirable goal and can be done, if people buy into it.
I wonder how they choose what projects to attempt?

Aside, a lot of companies use Google for their internal searches, by contract. Boeing does, Google sets it up so only authorized people can access sometimes secret and always sensitive internal info. I've seen websites and on line catalogs use Google too. I read an article a year or two ago that said not all the sites that use them have the Google logo next to the search box. But if it's there, they're paying Google at least $25k a month.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Pat52
Person Who Has Posted

Totally Free

I read the rules about newbies posting, so I can't post any links. I'm also not a salesman, I just have Isara as my homepage and stumbled on this.

Isara uses a google search engine, yes. Do they pay for it? No. It's totally free.
Put this in your address bar and it explains Google Adsense: isaraurl.com/j6rcS

They are working on getting their own servers to sort the internet, but Google started out small so I think they might get there someday.

They use 100% of revenue to fund projects, nothing goes to pay operating expenses, that's all donated elsewhere. Might I suggest you go back to isara and read the 'about' page.

I've enjoyed their forum, use their pic storage and their url shortener. As for how they chose projects, I don't know. They've given away helmets, safety vests, school supplies, rain gear, painted ugly buildings, and taken orphans to see movies. Nothing you can really argue with.
Pat52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Pat52.
I'd have to be living under a rock to not know how Google AdSense works. I think most people are cognizant of their program. If Isara wants to set up their own search engine they'll need a lot more than some servers.
At first I thought Google must be doing a good deed but then it dawned on me, this is just another portal to and for them. Duh, I'm a little slow sometimes.

How did you stumble onto us, Google? Apparently Isara only operates in SE Asia, so we only know what they tell us about themselves. You seem to be exceptionally enthusiastic, got an inside connection or some reason not to be skeptical about a charity that supposed to be doing things in SE Asia rather than Calgary, Guadalajara, or Gilbert? I realize it's a free service to us, so it's a "can't hurt", in any case. Just wondering.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
Pat52
Person Who Has Posted

Thanks for the welcome.
Lol, exceptionally enthusiastic it is I guess. I stumbled onto Isara about 4 months ago. I like to support different charities and was doing some investigative work to decide where my $ was going in 2007. Can't afford to support them all. So I figured, if it said what it did and I didn't have to shell out any money, I could at least change my homepage. I help with other charities, and usually like to focus on one's that are small and help an immediate group of people. I don't tend to focus on large ones that are getting a lot of attention.

I felt compelled to register and respond to your post about the $25,000 fee because I don't think thats the case at all. Isara seems to be a really small operation right now.

I found out about the Cellar by doing a search for Isara, actually. Lol. This thread pulled up in the search. So thanks Pierceeyehawk for introducing me to the Cellar.
Pat52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah I was wrong about the $25k for this application. I was forgetting Google wasn't actually doing the search for Isara, just another search for me, even though I came in a different door.

Well, now you found us....and you're registered....come back often. After all, you be family now.