The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #706
monster
I hear them call the tide

I actually really hate having investments. This is far too stressful. I'm refusing to look.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #707
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Are you about to retire? If not, buy more investments when there's a downturn. You only lose money on an investment when you sell. If you don't need to sell something off to live on during retirement, look at a market downturn as a store-wide sale.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #708
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I get emails at least weekly from Edward Jones telling me to go look at what they are doing with my money. I don't.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #709
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I get emails at least weekly from Edward Jones telling me to go look at what they are doing with my money. I don't.
My workplace pension people write to me every so often. I hae tried to read them. They make zero sense to me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #710
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Question for our Brits...

Here's the headline:

Disclosure: I knew this man several decades ago. His father was a retied British Army Major from Gibraltar. His mother was in the US Women's Army Corps and from Pittsburgh, PA. He has lived in Europe. Professional background

Story:

Quote:
An editor for PBS Newshour Weekend mumbled “not bad” at a photo of Meghan Markle, outraging colleagues and resulting in his termination, according to a new lawsuit.

Max*, 72, says in papers filed in Manhattan Federal Court that his colleagues on the show misunderstood and overreacted to his stray comment to a male co-worker.

The remark came on Nov. 25, 2017 as Max* wrote a story about the Royal Family and Prince Harry’s engagement to Markle, who is now the Duchess of Sussex.

“By this remark, (Max*) intended to convey that the Duchess possessed charm and beauty and was a suitable match for her fiance, who has a reputation of possessing charm and handsome looks,” the suit reads. “Plaintiff did not intend his remark to be a sexual comment about the Duchess.” ...
*We called him by the shortened version of his middle name to differentiate him from his namesake father.

Q: Given his age and background, is his explanation plausible from your point of view?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #711
monster
I hear them call the tide

yeah that defense is bullshit. "not bad" in that context is a remark on her sex appeal. Outrage and dismissal though? Purlease...

so no, not plausible. But Fired seems harsh. Retraining on whatever we are politically-correctly calling "don't be sexist in the workplace" these days might be more appropriate. It's "Harassment and Something Else Awareness" I think where I work. Dull as dishwater and hours long so you learn appropriate behavior to avoid ever having to do it again.....
Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #712
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

From what I can tell, he said it live on air, is that correct?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #713
sexobon

Not that I know of, he's an Editor/Writer. The only times I've seen him on camera were Christmas broadcasts when they panned the staff behind the scenes so they could wave to their families.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #714
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How did they ascertain the "not bad" was in reference to Ms markle and not the quality of the photograph?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #715
sexobon

According to the article, he acknowledged the comment was about Markle in his lawsuit; but, denies a sexual connotation.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #716
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My takes, in order:

1.) He definitely meant to refer to her sex appeal; his defense is typical CYA bullshit.

2.) If he said it on air, I support his firing. If he said it privately to a coworker, I do not. However...

3.) Even in "today's climate," my impression is that such a comment, taken in isolation, is not enough to get someone fired. I suspect they have endured decades of borderline behavior from this person, and are merely jumping at the opportunity to get him now while they can. Or maybe it's plain old age discrimination cloaked as overzealous feminism. Who knows. But I'd bet money there's more to this than a single comment of that caliber.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #717
sexobon

I think he's up a creek without a paddle using that defense. However, I knew his extended family and his background is a bit different; so, I solicited opinions.

According to the article, he alleges that those who complained have exhibited similar behavior without such repercussion. If that's the case, they wanted to get rid of him for some other reason. I'd guess they wanted to put him out to pasture to make room for someone else. Whether he's been screwing up in his old age; or, was just made a target of opportunity by an opportunist isn't evident from what I've seen so far.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #718
Squawk
Peoploid

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I actually really hate having investments. This is far too stressful. I'm refusing to look.
My mum's financial advisor said you should take away your age from 100, and that is the percentage of your money you should have in stocks and shares. The rest should be cash in the bank.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #719
Squawk
Peoploid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
According to the article, he alleges that those who complained have exhibited similar behavior without such repercussion.
That would not surprise me in the least. Sexism is endemic in the workplace in my experience.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #720
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Would someone please kill me? I'll come to you, you wouldn't have to travel. I'm not brave enough, it seems. I'm a pussy. I'm a big fucking pussy.[/bigfuckingpussy]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote