The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #6526
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #6527
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

My tape experience leads me to conclude that tape on fur is only good for making cats walk funny.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #6528
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
My tape experience leads me to conclude that tape on fur is only good for making cats walk funny.
spoken like someone who has only leather upholstery.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #6529
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Welp... three days into driving the rental car, its Check Engine light comes on. Can't risk having it die on me or getting blamed for damage, so I bring it back. The only vehicle they have on short notice is an extended cab F-150. I don't mind driving this behemoth around down, but navigating the school parking lot in it is a bitch. AND there's no AUX jack so the kids are whining.

Thinking about getting a Jeep Cherokee when they eventually admit my car's totalled.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #6530
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Yesterday saw me do the weekly grocery shopping. How one's pulses raced!
I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned this before but it's a continual irritation.
Looking for a packet of chocolate biscuits for Dad, (yes REALLY) I homed in on Chocolate Fingers available in two sizes. That's the packs, not the fingers.
Ah! Economies of scale was the unspoken message. Except that it was cheaper to buy two small packs than one large one.

See for yourself:

Name:  Yer pays yer money....JPG
Views: 434
Size:  22.3 KB Name:  ...and yer takes yer choice..JPG
Views: 457
Size:  21.3 KB

A cursory inspection of the shelf labels is all it took in this instance, but I have stumbled across other items available in different sizes where it isn't at all apparent which is the best value.
Doing a bit of hunter gathering in Tesco should be simpler than that.

Quote:
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made - Groucho Marx. (No relation to Karl).
Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #6531
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen a number on instances where the "Giant Economy Size" was more expensive per unit than the smaller sizes. I agree it's getting harder to figure it out because of oddball sizes.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #6532
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Yesterday saw me do the weekly grocery shopping. How one's pulses raced!
I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned this before but it's a continual irritation.
Looking for a packet of chocolate biscuits for Dad, (yes REALLY) I homed in on Chocolate Fingers available in two sizes. That's the packs, not the fingers.
Ah! Economies of scale was the unspoken message. Except that it was cheaper to buy two small packs than one large one.

See for yourself:

Attachment 63951 Attachment 63952

A cursory inspection of the shelf labels is all it took in this instance, but I have stumbled across other items available in different sizes where it isn't at all apparent which is the best value.
Doing a bit of hunter gathering in Tesco should be simpler than that.
More importantly is this Cadbury's version of a Tim Tam?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #6533
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Welp... three days into driving the rental car, its Check Engine light comes on. Can't risk having it die on me or getting blamed for damage, so I bring it back. The only vehicle they have on short notice is an extended cab F-150. I don't mind driving this behemoth around down, but navigating the school parking lot in it is a bitch. AND there's no AUX jack so the kids are whining.

Thinking about getting a Jeep Cherokee when they eventually admit my car's totalled.
Back the truck into the parking space and it is easy peasy pulling out. It is not hard after all you have to back out if pulling in.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #6534
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I've seen a number on instances where the "Giant Economy Size" was more expensive per unit than the smaller sizes. I agree it's getting harder to figure it out because of oddball sizes.
Occasionally I like wine vinegar on my salad. At Walmart there is the Kraft that I like for more money than the Greater Value or is it? The GV bottle is taller slimmer than the Kraft and appears to have more for less money. In fact it is shy a few ounces compared to the Kraft . If the GV brand had as much volume as the Kraft then the price would be the same. I prefer the taste of Kraft compared to that watered down shit Walmart sells.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #6535
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
More importantly is this Cadbury's version of a Tim Tam?
Increasing waistlines since 1897...

Name:  Chocolate Fingers.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  34.4 KB

Also available in white.

Wiki.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #6536
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Occasionally I like wine vinegar on my salad. At Walmart there is the Kraft that I like for more money than the Greater Value or is it? The GV bottle is taller slimmer than the Kraft and appears to have more for less money. In fact it is shy a few ounces compared to the Kraft . If the GV brand had as much volume as the Kraft then the price would be the same. I prefer the taste of Kraft compared to that watered down shit Walmart sells.
Plans are afoot to change the name of Heinz Salad Cream to 'Sandwich Cream'.
Supposedly 'only 14% of those who buy the sauce use it on salads, with many more preferring to use it in sandwiches'.
Their gastronomic adventurism knows no bounds.

Quote:
Joel Hughes, UK sauces brand build lead at Kraft Heinz, added: "As a market leading business, Kraft Heinz continues to audit its portfolio in order to meet the needs of consumers.

"There are consumers now who haven't grown up with the brand in the household and just don't know about the iconic zingy flavour or what to eat it with."
He was paid for writing that.

LINK
Old 06-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #6537
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Price labelling of foodstuffs in the UK is supposed to enable product comparison. What I really appreciate in our local "super"market is when there are two types of apples, one is bagged in sixes and priced at 50p/apple, and the other is bagged with eight or nine in the bag and priced at £1.40/kilo. Very helpful
(all prices are approximate, or indeed, entirely fabricated).
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #6538
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Price labelling of foodstuffs in the UK is supposed to enable product comparison. What I really appreciate in our local "super"market is when there are two types of apples, one is bagged in sixes and priced at 50p/apple, and the other is bagged with eight or nine in the bag and priced at £1.40/kilo. Very helpful
(all prices are approximate, or indeed, entirely fabricated).
Another bit of chicanery is the practice of using different units when comparing different sized packs of the same product.
Eg 17.5p per 100g for say a 500g pack, or £1.85 per kilo for the kilo pack.
Once again, the principle of economies of scale is shown the door.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #6539
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That's not as bad as the deceivers here who offer per unit pricing on similar competitive items, pricing one per pound and the adjacent one per ounce.

I know my 10 times tables better than I know my sixteens. Grrrrrrr.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #6540
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Plans are afoot to change the name of Heinz Salad Cream to 'Sandwich Cream'.
Supposedly 'only 14% of those who buy the sauce use it on salads, with many more preferring to use it in sandwiches'.
Their gastronomic adventurism knows no bounds.

He was paid for writing that.

LINK
I guess he was paid to write that, but he has it backwards. Most grew up eating the cheap shit or doing without. Once I got my degree and a job I liked I was able to buy Kraft so I could increase my waistline.

Tags
mild cheddar