The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #361
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Thanks, Bruce (x0x0x0). The least I can do for the techs is to make gas along the way, although considering I can't seem to eat anything it's probably not an issue.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #362
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Off to my first official work meeting tonight.
Not worried about that per se. Just the dress code.
Smart/ casual.

What is this smart/ casual?
Is it office wear? Is it what you would wear on a date? Is it what you would wear for a lunch out with your family?
It's set to be the hottest day of the year so far. Smart/ casual can kiss my arse. I'm wearing cropped office-style trousers (see Thame thread for similar.)
It's not denim, they have no holes in them and you can't see the crack of my arse.

Possibly a plain, fitted t-shirt top with a little jewellery to dress it up.

Smart/ casual.
Tcha.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #363
orthodoc

Packing for another trip - didn't even have time to do laundry after getting home late yesterday.

I hate packing; it makes me anxious. I am the person who will end up at a medical conference with three ball gowns, a red t-shirt, and no underwear. So I overpack and still end up without necessary things.

Going to just throw lots of stuff in the cases and get out of Dodge before the Pittsburgh/weekend traffic gets too ugly. If I end up in Michigan with nothing but ball gowns and a red t-shirt I'll take pics.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #364
Nirvana
Back in 10

Have fun and take pics anyway!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #365
glatt

Earlier this year a small group of attorneys left my firm. It was a loss. I liked them, and they brought business into the firm.

I just got an email that another small group of attorneys is leaving. They were all assholes, so I won't miss them. But it can't be good for the firm.

It's still a big place, but I'm not feeling so confident about its health. I'm wondering how marketable I am.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #366
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Once the second group is out the door, send a email to the first group:

"They're gone. It's OK to come back now"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #367
Griff
still says videotape

...or tell the first group you may be available.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #368
orthodoc

I have an all-day interview tomorrow for my old job. However, it has to morph into something very different from its current structure to have a chance of success. So my multiple interviews will consist of selling that concept to those who matter.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #369
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

good luck, that kind of thing stresses me the hell out.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #370
orthodoc

Thanks - the interviews went very well today. It looks like it may be possible to work out a different practice structure; everyone was enthusiastic. I hope it all works out.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #371
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Very good, go get 'em.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #372
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The kids are about to have three days in a row out in the sun doing water activities. This is great for them and all, but pale, blonde little Minifobette burns if she stands too close to an incandescent bulb. I can slather on the sunscreen every hour like I always do, but I think what I really need to do is go buy her a giant sunhat with a string to keep her from losing it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #373
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The kids are about to have three days in a row out in the sun doing water activities. This is great for them and all, but pale, blonde little Minifobette burns if she stands too close to an incandescent bulb. I can slather on the sunscreen every hour like I always do, but I think what I really need to do is go buy her a giant sunhat with a string to keep her from losing it.
I strongly recommend a surf shirt (also known as a rashguard for protecting the wet skin from rash from lying on the board all day). They come in every color and pattern that swimsuits do, from solids to patterns. One nice element for your situation is that some of them come with high necks, like a turtleneck, and with long sleeves. You'll get far more protection for her (and his) torso with such a shirt than you would do with a sun hat. Plus, you can't lose it and it works equally well in the water. There are lots of designs, loose, tight, long and short sleeved. We used these in Hawaii and I loved them. Very effective.

Of course, it offers no protection for her face and ears and scalp (yes, I've had my scalp sunburned through my hair, it's very very uncomfortable) and only some protection for her neck, depending on the shirt. For that, a big hat is a good idea. Failing that, getting some of the industrial strength sunscreen is your next best bet. Back in the day, I used zinc oxide for my nose. Go on, laugh. It was not clownishly unfashionable then for the lifeguards to have white noses. And it blocked 100% of the sun, it was water-proof, *and* you could tell when it was time to reapply due to wiping, not water or sweat. But you do have the white clown makeup appearance factor. There are other invisible products I've had good success with since then, like Bullfrog. I know there are others. I liked the Bullfrog because the beeswax in the formulation really gave it staying power.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #374
orthodoc

Big hat, spf 30 fabric shirt and preferably leggings (maybe a wetsuit?), and tons of sunscreen even under the shirt etc. ... it's frustrating, but pale, blond people are more prone to skin cancer from UV exposure than others. A bad burn in childhood sets you up, as you obviously know, Clod, since you're concerned about the sun/water activities.

Living where you do, this is tough. Maybe encourage her to start horseback riding (shameless plug here for the benefits of horse activities for all ages ) - you have to cover up except +/- for arms, and you wear a hat ... it saved my skin back in the day when everyone slathered themselves in oil and lay in the sun.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #375
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
(yes, I've had my scalp sunburned through my hair, it's very very uncomfortable)
We are very familiar with this type of burn. We already put sunscreen right on her scalp (makes her hair look ridiculous,) but it's hard to get all the nooks and crannies. I found her a big straw cowboy hat at a sporting goods store this afternoon that somehow fits her tiny head. Keeps her face and shoulders completely shaded, and it stood up to being soaked with water during today's activities, at least. Day one = burn-free. Two more to go.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philadelphia cream