The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
sordid
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Welcome to the Cellar, sordid.
So those oriental characters are sounds or syllables?
Yeah Bruce, always waiting for fresh meat, aren't you?

Well, Hiragana and Katakana are syllables. There's the exception of the "n" which is a single consonant, but usually you'll either have a single vocal or exactly one consonant followed by a vocal. That's why oral Japanese is so extremely easy to understand for computers. Consonant, vocal, consonant, vocal - so much easier for tincans than my mothertongue German.

Hiragana and Katakana are even easy to learn - unluckily nobody uses them in Japan except to mark endings of words written in Kanji. And Kanji is a pain in the ass, since it's derived from Chinese.

In Korean you'll find two writings as well. The older one, Wenyan, is also derived from Chinese and works the same, yet the other one, Hangeul, is pretty similar to our system.

Thai on the other hand is completely like our system - except for the fact that these wavy letters they use are supposed to be pronounced completely different depending on how they're written.
That means that a vowel like "ma" could be pronounced in like five different ways, depending on how you'd rape the vocal.

Sorry I have such a hard time explaining it, that's actually since English is not my native language.

Khmer, the language spoken in Cambodia, is the complete opposite, although Cambodia is so heavily influenced culturally by Thailand.
Khmer consists of syllables and most words are hardly longer than two syllables.
sordid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fresh meat? Hmmm
Actually fresh ideas, information, people that can explain things so I can get them through my thick head. Thanks for the 'splaining. There was a previous IOtD about Korean wood block printing, where we could have used you.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:50 PM   #18
Ibby
erika

Uryoces, my question was to Dee, about the rice. I speak chinese, I know that chinese and kanji are idiogrammatic, one character per syllable (well, thats a little flexable in japanese), etc. I also knew that Thai, some japanese, tibetian, etc are phonetic like english. Korean, though, I think is idiogrammatic... Anyway, I was asking if Dee's dentist buddy could write characters as in idiogrammatic chinese characters or as in letters/symbols in english.

EDIT: oops, just saw Sordid's post, I guess I was half-right about korean.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #19
sordid
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Fresh meat? Hmmm
Actually fresh ideas, information, people that can explain things so I can get them through my thick head. Thanks for the 'splaining. There was a previous IOtD about Korean wood block printing, where we could have used you.
Bruce,
there's so many different reasons why the whole world actually has a use for me...
Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 AM   #20
ashke
Don't look at me!

If you're interested in the Japanese language, here's a pretty good FAQ: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/afaq/afaq.html

For Chinese: http://www.zhongwen.com/faq.htm

EDIT: Btw, curious... @sordid: Where are you from? Or how did you learn Chinese?
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 AM   #21
Ibby
erika

He said his mother tongue is German, and he never said he knew Chinese. He barely mentioned Chinese.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:22 AM   #22
sordid
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashke
EDIT: Btw, curious... @sordid: Where are you from? Or how did you learn Chinese?
I'm Viennese. Well, actually I'm from Hamburg, Germany, but I moved to Vienna, Austria some 15 years ago.
I have a little theoretical approach towards Chinese and I do speak some extremely tiny little Mandarin - which wouldn't even be enough to order some rice in a restaurant without ending up badly bruised because I really insulted the waiter.

But I'm extremely into most of Asia.
I had Japanese courses during school and I also tried to learn some Thai. Actually I love everything Thai.
(This is supposed to be read as "This guy is just too handsome to make use of cheap prostitutes in Thailand, it's more the landscapes and cuisine!")
Thai cuisine, Thai music (yeah, I know...), I even started Muay Thai some years ago because it's so, well, Thai.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:58 AM   #23
ashke
Don't look at me!

Ah cool. I always heard that Vienna's a beautiful place. Yay, I quite like Thai language... Nice to listen although I don't know what they're saying ^^;;;
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:21 AM   #24
milkfish
A serene breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sordid
In Korean you'll find two writings as well. The older one, Wenyan, is also derived from Chinese and works the same, yet the other one, Hangeul, is pretty similar to our system.
<a href="http://langintro.com/kintro/first.htm">Korean alphabet tutorial</a>. Hangeul isn't that hard to learn, so you can amaze your friends.
milkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Blog view of this thread has a Goggle ad that links to a gourd art show in CA. Incredible!

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #26
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Yup. That was a pretty broad brush.