Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #631
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
....Only CA, CT, MN, and NJ laws require gun stores to use physical security measures.
That's surprising.

Maybe gun shops in states that do not require physical security measures do have them to reduce possible break ins per insurance requirements?

Most often I see walk in safes with BIG bank style doors. These places are not in those blue states.

Must be the small shops skimp on the physical security? Or maybe Walter White types overcome the vaults.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #632
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Or maybe the whole thing is a kickback scam so they can sell to people they know they aren't supposed to.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #633
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Anyone can register to become a FFL dealer, in ten easy steps. You don't need an actual store.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #634
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
That's surprising.

Maybe gun shops in states that do not require physical security measures do have them to reduce possible break ins per insurance requirements?
Yes, the Insurance companies are putting the most pressure on them.
Name:  gunshops.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  74.3 KB
Big outfits don't want to take the time and trouble to lock everything up when they're closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Anyone can register to become a FFL dealer, in ten easy steps. You don't need an actual store.
Right, my ex-roommate sold out of his house until he got a DUI and the township yanked his licence.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #635
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Warning hearsay:
A little backwoods gunshop across the border had a suspicious fire. They had little security and terrible book-keeping. The book-keeping issue was previously exposed by a guy walking into the shop holding the door for a guy coming out having just bought the first guys rifle which was in for repairs...
Old 02-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #636
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
The book-keeping issue was previously exposed by a guy walking into the shop holding the door for a guy coming out having just bought the first guys rifle which was in for repairs...
That doesn't sound like a good business model.

I had a guy try to hire me to trim his neighbor's tree, which was clearly on the other side of the fence. The neighbor's fence, too.

I told him as long as the neighbor didn't mind, I didn't care who paid for it. Neighbor did not want the tree trimmed.

I made 300 bucks across the street, though.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #637
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
That doesn't sound like a good business model.
Why not? The thief got a fully refurbished weapon for the cost of some small repair, maybe under $100--plus the shop now only has the rightful owner's ID, not the thief's.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #638
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:55 AM   #639
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Why not? The thief got a fully refurbished weapon for the cost of some small repair, maybe under $100--plus the shop now only has the rightful owner's ID, not the thief's.
No, they should have the ID of the guy they sold it to. He wasn't picking up a repair job he was buying a used rifle... at least that's what I got from the hearsay.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #640
Griff
still says videotape

this
Old 02-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #641
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
The book-keeping issue was previously exposed by a guy walking into the shop holding the door for a guy coming out having just bought the first guys rifle which was in for repairs...
But then where's the bookkeeping issue? I guess he was attempting to buy a used rifle from the store's inventory, but the salesperson got confused and accidentally sold him a rifle that was only supposed to be there for repairs?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #642
Griff
still says videotape

It was a one man operation, bookkeeping error is me not accusing the owner of larceny. The fire makes people suspicious.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #643
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So, I was reading about the gila monster...

Today I Learned:

Quote:
The saliva of the Gila monster contains many chemicals which can be deadly. One of these has been shown to affect memory. Several companies have been researching the abilities of this chemical to help memory loss due to various diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, and ADHD. Gilatide, derived from exendin-4, has been shown to dramatically heighten memory in a study with mice. Gilatide is likely to be researched further to provide help to Alzheimer's patients.
~Wiki

Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #644
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Today I learned the words represented by the acronym YouTube channel title

AvE

Arduino versus Evil
Old 03-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #645
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Knit The Temperature, Precious!

I've been up ten minutes, and already I've learned something. Besides that I shouldn't have gotten up to begin with. Ow.

This morning I've already learned about The Tempestry Project. Ow.

To whet the appetite, the word tempestry is a portmanteau of the words temperature and tapestry. Ow.

Below are tempestries for Deception Pass, Washington, for the years 1950 - 2017 (left to right):

Name:  tempestry.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  38.4 KB

Each day's high temp is represented by a different color, with January 1st at the bottom and December 31 at top.

Ow.