The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Cloud

Favorite face cream?

probably as long as women have pierced their ears women have sought magik potions to make their skin look better, softer, smoother, less wrinkled. Still today the source of overpriced, overhyped concoctions, face creams are nevertheless . . . an essential.

Some kind of lotion is always what I would choose to take with me to a deserted island. I don't need miracle cream, I just need something emollient (my skin is pretty dry and I live in a desert) with a decent amount of sunscreen.

I do have a favorite (Loreal Advanced Revitalift Complete), but am curious--what's yours? Guys, if you have a favorite skin care product, feel free to share, too. Don't want you to feel left out if you want to comment.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

aveeno is awesome.

to take off make up - nothing beats Ponds.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hydrous Ointment.

I get it in 500g tubs and I use between two and three tubs in an average month. It's awesome! It moisturises and leaves a layer to prevent moisture escaping from the skin. Not much good if your skin is normal though :P Probably a little too greasy for average skin.

I use it head to toe twice daily, and occasional applications to my face and hands through the day. Thanks to this stuff, my skin is almost normal most of the time (apart from specific eczema flareups). Best thing my doctor ever did was make me try it again as an adult. I had used it as a kid and left it on my list of tried and no need to try again creams.
Attached Images

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Cloud

I have not been happy with the texture or smell of aveeno. olay, too--most olay products stink (literally).

must have sunscreen!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm a fan of California Baby, but I'm also pretty demanding about my non-reactive ingredients nowadays. I used to have a ton of different lotions I'd use, because I have chronically dry skin.

Speaking of, Dana, I keep hoping I get you in Secret Santa one of these years so I can send you some of this stuff. It's done wonders on all my kids' eczema outbreaks, better than any other plain moisturizer. It's an expensive, tiny tub, but you don't have to use a lot of it because it's the calendula, not the abundance of moisture, that's doing the work. For really bad outbreaks I put a thin layer of the calendula cream on, then cover it with a different cream to seal it in.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

Unscented Vaseline Intensive. Or Own-brand Equivalent. I've been converted to Aveeno too. But don't try the own-brands of that, they suck. In my experience, it's not the what, but the how often that make the huge difference. Avoid perfumed things, though, and creams with high cetyl alcohol content.

I'm prepared to believe the studies I've seen (no, can't link) which suggested that it's mostly about how often you apply moisturizer. Anecdotally, people get better results with more expensive moisturizers because the more time and money you invest into finding a cream, the more likely you are to remember to use it, and when applied equwntly frequently and thoroughlt, inexpensive mositurizers were just as effective.

I apply sunblock separately. I don't want that crap near my skin when I don't need it, plus it works better on moisturized skin.

I can certainly say my skin is a whole load better since I took action to make sure I moisturized a lot more often. (I invested in a cream pump for every bathroom, each car and got into the habit of handcream every time I just miss a light at an intersection (rubbed in by the time the change again) and after every shower and every time I wash my hands. I also carry a small tube of moisturizer in my handbag.)
Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
because it's the calendula
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Just recently decided to spend a little more than I usually do on face cream. And You are so right Monster, because I spent $30 instead of $6, I make sure I use it every effin day, when before, I only put it on before make-up (which isnt too often).
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

So, every effin day is good, but 3-6 time a day is better. I moisturize my hands every possible opportunity, and my face after my shower in the morning and whenever I put too much cream on my hands. (My eczema is only chromic on my hands)
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

I'm with the aveeno. Though most of my face (forehead, nose, chin) is on the oily side, so I need very little. I use it liberally on my arms, legs and feet.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Tulip
Professor

Doesn't matter how expensive the cream is, if I forget to use it, I forget to use it. Creams don't evaporate nor dry out, so what does it matter if you forget to use them? I like expensive creams. Yes, I am influenced by advertismsents. I'm joking, hehe. After showers and in the morning, I use inexpensive creams, such as L'Oreal Revitalift or Aveeno. I just bought Bourghese from Costco, which is good. I tend to wash my face during the daytime so I prefer to use inexpensive creams during the daytime. At night, I use expensive creams, such as Shiseido. I now use Lancome Rare because I have those as free samples. By the way, Oil of Olay and Pond don't suit my skin well. But a friend will give me this line of Oil of Olay she finds very effective. I will try it and come back for a review.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't know if you have 'The Body Shop' in the US, but they have a range of cleansers and moisturisers which are citrus based. I find them very good. They cleanse well and the night moisturiser is lovely. Makes the pillow smell nice too.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Tulip
Professor

Yes, we do have "The Body Shop" in the States. Anyways, I want to correct my post earlier. What I bought at Costco was actually Kirkland Signature BY Bourghese and not Bourghese's moisturizer. I realized this when I put it on after my shower a bit ago.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I use Pond's and Oil of Olay. I don't mind the smell - maybe because that is what my mother used.

One that did intrigue me was Eucerin has a face lotion that I can't wait to try with I believe 30 SPF. The only problem is that it was almost 10 dollars. I have to wait until my other ones are done before I buy new.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sometimes I use Nivea, because the wife likes it. She also rounds up these really nice-smelling lotions from places like Trader Joe's, which we appreciate because they smell neither cheap nor ordinary. For cleaning theater makeup off, I really like Noxema as a cold cream. Rub a little of that on my phiz until the remnant Noxema between my fingers has turned tan, then straight into the shower. My face feels all metrosexual for two days after.

For sunscreen, I go elsewhere, and use about anything.