The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #1696
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also, there was a classical scholar from New Zealand, that died on Feb 18, whose name was George Cawkwell.

If his name wasn't pronounced 'Cockwell', it should have been.

The guy who coined the term 'global warming', helping start the biggest, longest argument in the history of mankind, died the 18th as well.

Wallace Smith Broecker

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #1697
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Glinda posted: "That is some weird, lame shit. People actually spent money on this guy's albums?"

Gee, I wish you had been around to save me in 1959 when I bought those disgusting albums.
I guess it was just lucky that someone else stole them from me 20 or 30 years later to prevent me from listening again.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #1698
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  tork.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  30.5 KB

Monkee Peter Tork died today, at the age of 77. His fish was Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma, which he battled ten yrs ago.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #1699
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Douglas the Parrot has died.

Quote:
Douglas (ca. 1967 – 23 February 2019) is the male scarlet macaw that played the parrot Rosalinda in the 1970 Pippi Longstocking movie Pippi in the South Seas.

Douglas was imported from Brazil to Sweden in 1967. Three years later he starred as the female parrot Rosalinda in the popular movie Pippi in the South Seas. Douglas is capable of singing and of speaking a few dozen words. In 2002, 32 years after the movie, Douglas garnered a lot of attention in the Swedish press, when the authorities were considering to put him to death due to its owner at the time not having the proper paperwork. A petition pleading for Douglas' life comprised over 50,000 signatures including one by the actress Inger Nilsson, who played Pippi in the 1970 movie. Ultimately Douglas was spared after its first owner in Sweden produced the proper paper work, showing that he was legally imported from Brazil in 1967.

In 2005 Douglas moved to a small zoo in Malmö, where he lived together with a female blue-and-yellow macaw called Gojan until 2016. Early in 2016 Douglas once more attracted the attention of the Swedish media and later of the German one as well. Swedish authorities had again plans to put Douglas to death due to its cage of 3 m2 being too small and not allowing him to fly. The authorities requested an aviary of at least 30 m2, which the zoo couldn't provide. The zoo's director Frank Madsen tried to get an exception arguing that due to its very old age Douglas was incapable of flying anyhow and that it made no sense to cut short his remaining final years. As the authorities were unwilling to grant an exception, Madsen turned to the press and received soon over 100 offers for a new home for Douglas and Gojan. Ultimately the Karlsruhe Zoo in Germany was selected and in April Madsen himself delivered Douglas and Gojan to Karlsruhe, where they were greeted with a public welcome party.

Five months later in September 2016 Gojan died at an age of 45 and the zoo was planning to pair Douglas with another macaw. The new partner became Rubin, a 22 year old scarlet macaw, that arrived in October of the same year.

Douglas died at the Karlsruhe Zoo on February 23rd, 2019 being 51 years old, an extraordinary old age for macaws.
He's not pining for the fjords.

'E's nowt sleeping.

This birb is no more.

Beautiful plumage.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #1700
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Douglas (ca. 1967 – 23 February 2019) is the male scarlet macaw that played the parrot Rosalinda in the 1970 Pippi Longstocking movie Pippi in the South Seas.

Douglas was imported from Brazil to Sweden in 1967. Three years later he starred as the female parrot Rosalinda in the popular movie Pippi in the South Seas. Douglas is capable of singing and of speaking a few dozen words. In 2002, 32 years after the movie, Douglas garnered a lot of attention in the Swedish press,
when the authorities were considering to put him to death due to its owner at the time not having the proper paperwork. A petition pleading for Douglas' life comprised over 50,000 signatures including one by the actress Inger Nilsson, who played Pippi in the 1970 movie. Ultimately Douglas was spared after its first owner in Sweden produced the proper paper work, showing that he was legally imported from Brazil in 1967.

In 2005 Douglas moved to a small zoo in Malmö, where he lived together with a female blue-and-yellow macaw called Gojan until 2016. Early in 2016 Douglas once more attracted the attention of the Swedish media and later of the German one as well. Swedish authorities had again plans to put Douglas to death due to its cage of 3 m2 being too small and not allowing him to fly. The authorities requested an aviary of at least 30 m2, which the zoo couldn't provide. The zoo's director Frank Madsen tried to get an exception arguing that due to its very old age Douglas was incapable of flying anyhow and that it made no sense to cut short his remaining final years. As the authorities were unwilling to grant an exception, Madsen turned to the press and received soon over 100 offers for a new home for Douglas and Gojan. Ultimately the Karlsruhe Zoo in Germany was selected and in April Madsen himself delivered Douglas and Gojan to Karlsruhe, where they were greeted with a public welcome party.

Five months later in September 2016 Gojan died at an age of 45 and the zoo was planning to pair Douglas with another macaw. The new partner became Rubin, a 22 year old scarlet macaw, that arrived in October of the same year.

Douglas died at the Karlsruhe Zoo on February 23rd, 2019 being 51 years old, an extraordinary old age for macaws.
What the fuck is wrong with those "authorities", don't they think at all, are they never reasonable? Is an exemption that much paperwork?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #1701
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Pfft, that's the Parrot Police for ya...

Old 02-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #1702
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Pianist and composer Andre Previn died today. He was 89.

He and Mia Farrow are the adoptive parents of Soon-Yi Previn (Woody Allen's wife).

Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #1703
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Aw man. I missed this one.

Character actor, that-guy-who-was-in-that-thing, Morgan Woodward died back on Feb 22.

He played a recurring role on Dallas (the first one), and he also played the rifle-toting road gang boss with the mirrored sunglasses in Cool Hand Luke.

If ya don't remember him, you'll know his face, he was known for his face.

Name:  mw.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  mw2.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  38.4 KB

Dude was in everything on TV in the 70s. He guest-starred on Gunsmoke 19 times, more than anyone else but the regular cast.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #1704
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Pianist and composer Andre Previn died today. He was 89.
I always liked Andre Previn. I think it's fair to say that classical music conductors are rarely known for their sense of fun but Previn was cast in a different mould.

He famously appeared with Morecambe and Wise in a sketch in their show while he was principal conductor with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #1705
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I always liked Andre Previn. I think it's fair to say that classical music conductors are rarely known for their sense of fun but Previn was cast in a different mould.

He famously appeared with Morecambe and Wise in a sketch in their show while he was principal conductor with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn.

A superb sketch. The best bits are where he’s struggling not to corpse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #1706
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
A superb sketch. The best bits are where he’s struggling not to corpse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Corpse? I don't speak the Queen's English.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #1707
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
Corpse? I don't speak the Queen's English.
It's to become convulsed with laughter to the extent that it is impossible to deliver your own lines.
Generally the greater the effort not to laugh, the worse it becomes.

I'm on my iPad at present which doesn't lend itself to posting links, but there's a Wikipedia article on 'corpsing' which sheds some more light on the subject.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #1708
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thank You Ma'am.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #1709
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sir.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #1710
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yes?

Tags
bought the farm, dead not loved, famous corpses, karked it, kicked the bucket, pining for the fjords, pushing up the daisies, roadkill, sleeps with the fishes, taking a dirt nap, the dead zone, worm food