The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
ashke
Don't look at me!

Laptop problems

Okay, I don't know much about computers but I have this really weird problem.

My laptop can connect fine in school. I can access the internet and everything. But at home, I can't. The other computers at home can do it fine but not my laptop. However, when I log in using my school's VPN client, I can access anything from my school's site!

Um, I also tried the troubleshooting thing in MSN Messenger and it tells me that IP, Default gateway, IE's offline setting, Hosts File, DNS and Proxy Server are okay. But when it gets to Key ports, there's a big exclamation mark. It suggests I review my proxy and firewall settings.

The windows firewall is always disabled. I don't know what are proxy settings.

Gaah, I don't know what to do. I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow but I was wondering if any of you have suggestions. T_T Help?
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

What OS and what VPN software?

Old Timestep VPN used to remain active all the time and would attempt to pass all traffic through it that was intended for the NIC. You had to shutoff the VPN service in order to bypass it and use the network normally.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
ashke
Don't look at me!

I'm using Windows XP Pro, I think the VPN is Cisco Systems.

I've tried disconnecting from the VPN but it still doesn't work. My browser always gives me this alert "The operation timed out when attempting to contact (website)". Meehhh... =(

Btw, what is NIC?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
mbpark
Lecturer

ashke,

Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections and make sure that you don't have a Proxy Server configured.

Also, with the Cisco client...if you have it enabled, it blocks out all traffic but to the destination network. Do you log into your school's network from the Cisco client?
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

If your laptop user name is different than your network user name than you need to map the network drive using the "log on with different name" option after the VPN connects.

Also, disable Zone Alarm or any software firewall but only after shutting down all browsers and whatnot.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
ashke
Don't look at me!

mbpark: Nope, no proxy server configured. Usually I don't have to switch on the Cisco client because I think the IT people who set up my laptop to connect to the school network has some script that does it automatically (I think??? I'm not very sure although every time I start up my laptop, there'll be black screen window that looks like those MS-DOS screen that says "1 file(s) copied...")

Beetsie: My laptop user name's the same as my school network's user name. What's the "log on with different name" thing? I don't have Zone Alarm. Just AVG Anti-Virus (the free one).

I also called my dad about it and he says my workgroup has to be same as the one at home. I checked by right-clicking My Computer's "Properties>Computer Name" and it says the domain is "stu.nus.edu.sg". I'm quite nervous about changing these settings at all.

I go to "To rename this computer or join a domain, click Change" where a window that says I can change my membership of the computer to a Workgroup. When I click okay, it says to "Enter the name and password of an account with permission to remove this computer from the domain" but I don't think I should do that. <- *Nervous about changing these settings.* Is there anywhere I can learn more about networks so I can figure these types of problems in the future too? ^^;; I'm thinking maybe I should take my computer to the Computer Center (kind of like a service center) in school but the last time I did that, I don't know what they did but my computer got infected by a virus while they were doing... something to it (I'd brought my laptop there so that they could set up the laptop so I could connect to the school network).

Thanks for all the replies. Could I just understand what's wrong so far? I think you guys are asking me about the VPN because it only goes to my school's network but blocks out the internet. And about the firewall because it could also serve the function of blocking out stuff from the internet. As I understand it, my computer is then trying to get onto my school network when at home, I should go to my home network's Workgroup to access internet? So that means I should change which network my computer is trying to get to.

Am I right? @_@?? I'd like to know how all this stuff work too... ^_^

I still don't quite understand why it's possible to have internet access at school though. Is it because by accessing the school network, the school network can also give access to the net but only when I'm in school? What's the difference though, from accessing the school network from home and the school network in school? Am I even thinking on the right track?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
mbpark
Lecturer

It appears that the laptop is configured to access the Internet from the school's network, which is actually on par with how many networks set up their laptops.

I wouldn't change the domain if I were you .

The Cisco VPN client has its own firewall on it which blocks all traffic going from you to outside the school network if the VPN is turned on.

The workgroup thing is only for file sharing.

You want to open a command prompt when at home and type ipconfig /all and see what it comes up with .

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
ashke
Don't look at me!

Oh, okay, I'm in school now so I guess I'll just have to wait til next week to try this out. Meanwhile, I think I'll take a trip down to the Computer Center come Monday and cross my fingers and hope they can figure something out.