The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Buddug

Human Genographic Project

There have been several posts concerning ethnic identity .

I wonder if you know about this project run by National Geographic , IBM and the Watt Family Foundation ? It is to do with deep ancestry and the movement of people over the ages .

Modern genetics show that we all came from Africa , and that we are all linked to the so-called ' mitochondrial Eve' .

For not much more than a hundred dollars , you can learn more . You receive a DNA test-kit . You scrape the inside of your cheek , and you send the scrape to be analyzed . For women , the DNA analysis is done through the maternal line . It is a bit like Russian dolls . For men , the analysis goes through the father's line . I have done this test , and have found out that most of the people with my group come from Eastern Europe . My husband did his , and his group went via the Himalayas and then over to Western Europe . 90 percent of men in Ireland and Northern Spain have his haplogroup . He is French .

The test is obviously limited , as you only follow one line , and hell I am Welsh and a Welsh-speaker through my father's side . We have been in Wales since Noah . My mother is English .

Anyway , it is interesting and fun . The proceeds go to fund genetic research into native peoples who are far more interesting than us boring old Europeans . For example , it has recently been shown that the Polynesians colonized the Pacific from the area which is now Taiwan . This research the helps scientists to learn more about humanity in general .

When you get the DNA pack , you also get a lot of information putting modern genetic science into layman's terms . Many of you think I criticize the Americans . Perhaps I do sometimes , but no one can hold a light to the way cutting-edge American scientists manage to explain science to hapless non-scientists such as myself .
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you have a link or some contact information?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I read something awhile back that discussed this project, and which also touched upon a growing trend among certain ethnic populations...namely, the use of DNA testing to determine who had the most "pure" blood, i.e., the least diluted lineage pointing back to their ancestral lands. It was said that there is a trend toward racial bias being based on this data *within* the same apparent ethnic group.

"I'm more (your ethnic group name here) than you!" How unerringly human.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
Buddug

I had never seen it in that light before , Elspode . I see it as being a project that actually shows how meaningless the concept of 'race ' is . But yes , I can see how the project could be misused in the way that you mention .

Bruce , I am a technological Luddite , and I do not know how to give clickable links . Just type ' human genographic project national geographic' into Google and the goods will come up .
Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Genetically speaking, I'm a mutt. And I can't even begin to reconcile the idea of racial purity with the idea that all humans descended from a common ancestor.

I think if you went back far enough, you would find that all life on earth descended from a virus. Makes me wonder what the viruses of today will evolve into 3B years from now.

Racial purity. Another milestone of self-delusion.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

here's a recent article about one persons experience.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, I'll give it a shot.
I've ordered a kit directly from National Geographic Society, of which I'm already a member. It came to $113.95 with the sales tax for PA and shipping.
The kit includes the return postage and a computer generated random code number the test results will be tagged with.

The NGS claims your anonymity is maintained because the lab that processes it only has the code number and not your identity, and the results are not mailed to you. To get the results you have to access them online with the code number.

We all know that any precautions they come up with to guarantee privacy can be circumvented or breached through carelessness but I don't see a potential problem with this information as I'm sure I'm all ready on numerous government "lists".

I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #8
erno365
Dog O'Nine Tails

Another interesting topic to watch out on National Geographic. I wont miss this one..
Old 07-21-2006, 04:39 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Racial purity. Another milestone of self-delusion.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I read something awhile back that discussed this project, and which also touched upon a growing trend among certain ethnic populations...namely, the use of DNA testing to determine who had the most "pure" blood, i.e., the least diluted lineage pointing back to their ancestral lands. It was said that there is a trend toward racial bias being based on this data *within* the same apparent ethnic group.

"I'm more (your ethnic group name here) than you!" How unerringly human.
I'm a spin doctor and I can fix this:
"You pathetic (your ethnic group name here) inbred."

See? Isn't that better? Now, I want you to go out and kill all those (your ethnic group name here) worms.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here's the kit. Pretty much what I expected except two things.

One, I have to pay postage to mail the samples back which isn't a big deal except I have to go to the post office. This may be the result of changes in postal regulations to make people hand almost anything but a basic envelope, to a postal clerk....with the surveillance cameras watching. I go through this several times a month sending the 9.5" x12.5" Priority Mail envelopes. Whatever.

Two, a pleasant surprise, there is a DVD explaining what they are doing, how they're doing it, and the entire TV series from National Geographic called "The Journey of Man". Very cool series about how people got spread out over the globe.....at least the latest theory of it. It sounds rather dry and boring but actually it's interesting because they visit some far flung villages and see how the people live.

They say it'll take about a month after I mail the samples to get the results posted on the web where I can access it with my kit code number.
I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:51 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
glatt

Interesting. I wonder exactly what the results will show. And from a more practical point of view, could I convince all my family members to chip in to cover the cost of one of these, so that one of us could do it and share the results with the rest. Like I could take samples from one of my kids, so the results would include my wife's side of the family as well as my own. Then we would have information of interest to about 45 people I know.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Actually you should do it twice for the family. Once for the male line and one for the female line. Women can only do the female line but males can do both.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

very very interesting. I can't wait to hear Bruces results. I wonder if you will have any suprises?

although I know my grandfathers and grandmothers race being irish x2, american indian and English I think too there must be some african in there someplace if I were to venture to get one of those kits. I would not be suprised. I can't afford it so I'll just live through Bruces excitement.

( although I would love to from some old celtic land. I got hairy enough legs for it):p
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You're a quadroon, right bruce?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote