The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 AM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

I think the bulk of dwellers have kept a pretty good attitude considering.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Chainsaw, welcome back to the world, and to the Cellar!!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #33
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Thank you, wolf
Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #34
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

The best attitude under BAD circumstances? "This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, but I WILL get through it." has worked for me so far. And then a sense of humour - which has helped in all but one situation.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #35
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
I hadn't paid a lot of attention to No Doubt until RS first mentioned their hard work to get where they are. They did work hard to earn their celebrity status. I did see Gwen on TV presenting Sting an award on a show, and she showed a picture of herself getting an autograph from Sting when she was about 13-15 yrs old. She was a VERY chubby girl! She looks great now.

Drew Barrymore is the celebrity I think of, looking to one for inspiration. Yes, Drew Barrymore. As the child star of E.T, she was drinking and doing drugs by age 12 and seemed to be going downhill like a of a lot of child stars. Then she got it together, formed her own company making movies, and is doing quite well. After I saw "Riding in Cars With Boys", I have watched all of the movies she has made. They're more the type of movies I watch with my step-daughters than my husband or son, but they're good movies, with plenty of humor in all of them.

In real life, my source of inspiration is Elspode, and all of the other parents of disabled kids. When my daughter was getting cancer treatment, I saw so many people going through terribly tough times, and knowing they would always have to deal with it, along with worrying about who will take care of their kids when they're gone. When I was at my lowest, I always saw someone that I felt had it worse than me.

I saw Toby Keith on TV talking about what ended his feud with the Dixie Chicks a couple of years back. He got home one day and saw a Country Music magazine in his mail - the cover read "Toby Keith and the Dixie Chicks - a fight to the death!" Then he got a phone call from his best friend from high school saying that he and his wife had just taken their 3 yr old daughter home from the hospital to die. Her childhood cancer had become terminal. That sure puts things into perspective!

On a lighter note, the moral of the story is when you’re down- look for inspiration – it’s out there!
When I was in LA working as an actor as often as I could I also had a day job, we all do unless you are one of the very lucky.
It was in a building in the Hills with Drew's, and a lot of other Name's, agent.
I saw her a lot in the smoking section, she is a very kind, gracious and hip person to hang out with.
We ran into each other a lot due to similar tastes, she likes second hand stores and swap meets.
You can pick em'.
My story is long and convoluted... I was cut a lot more slack in my youth by people whom did not need to. From people who I did not deserve it from.
As I posted before, I've been around a bit in my short time but have ended-up here, in chronic, debilitating pain for the rest of my days... and I'm ok with that.
When I dropped/was drummed out of seminary prep and found Buddhism I also learned two very important lessons that I should have learned from
Christ to begin with.
We are all one and the same, so I already know how they feel and don't deserve any better/they deserve as much slack as I do.
In this life Compassion is the only currency that pays interest.
y story is very long and convoluted... I started-out kinda' as a shit-heel and learned a lot from people whom did not have to teach me what they did... I did not deserve it. I have been cut far more slack than I deserve, at least when I was a kid I was. I try to remember that when I deal with people now.
Something I learned for myself is that everyone has their own shit, their own pain and it is always subjective. Meaning, that it always hurts exactly the same. Your worst pain is exactly as bad as mine.
That is why I will accept no pity and will (I do my damnedest) give only love.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #36
rkzenrage

Sorry the above was so out-there, had repeated things and unchecked... rough day.
Basically the lesson is to always keep in mind that knowing others feel exactly what you do, regardless of how they show it, will help you do the one thing that makes one feel better than anything else... act with compassion & love.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #37
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
barak
Oh lord, please tell me he's not back.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #38
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang

Who comes to your mind when you think of someone having a good attitude under BAD circumstances. Is that you? Someone that you know? Someone famous? What are their BAD circumstances and how did they cope with that particular situation? What would you credit their attitude to?

Tell me a tale of harship and keeping one's perspective and sense of humor.

As I type this, there are two Tasmanian miners trapped under thousands of tonnes of rock in a collapsed mine shaft.They've been trapped for over 10 days. They are being kept alive through a 4 inch plastic pipe that has been eased through a drill shaft. Ice blocks and home made soup are being pushed through to keep them alive while teams of miners work around the clock to drill a new fifty foot shaft across through solid rock and underneath the safety cage that saved them from death.
there are no guarrantees that the rocks won't move again before or during the breakthrough. The situation is about as harsh as it can get for the two guys trapped in a steel crate less than a metre and a half square.

How does this relate to the thread? Well apparently, the guys have requested a short detour in the ambulance on the way to hospital. Reports say that they'd like the ambulance to call in at MacDonalds' [with full lights and sirens!] and pick them up some burgers...............

Legendary.Just legendary.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-29277,00.html