The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 04-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #151
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Thank you for all of your hard work and congratulations on your breakthroughs with minifob. Way to go supermom!!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #152
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Walgreens has a store brand for the lactaid tablets. They're not quite as expensive.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #153
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

But those are for lactose, not casein. These are the ones for casein. 1-2 pills per meal equates to anywhere from $22.50 to $45 a month. Not that far off from a prescription copay, sure, but don't forget the insurance deductible, and the occupational therapy copays, and the gluten-free foods which cost three times as much (no shit, $6 for a small loaf of bread, $8 a gallon for rice milk)... plus the fact that you may or may not be able to trick the toddler into taking it with every meal. The most I can guarantee is one dose a day, sometime during the day.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #154
jinx
Come on, cat.

That doesn't look like it addresses whey proteins either, which I think is the bigger problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #155
monster
I hear them call the tide

Fantastic, Fob. You sooo rock. I have more to say about that, but others have said it already so, I'll STFU and grin like an idiot on your behalf
Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #156
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
$6 for a small loaf of bread
Ouch. Do you have time to make your own? Evidently there's a bread machine now with a gluten-free cycle. Dunno how good it is.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #157
jinx
Come on, cat.

Clod where are you getting your rice milk? Walmart has Silk and Rice Dream in 1/2 gallon containers in the milk section for less than $3. Silk also comes in single serves, like juice boxes, by the case for like $18.

IMO unsweetened Silk is the closest to cow milk in flavor/texture.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #158
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Ouch. Do you have time to make your own? Evidently there's a bread machine now with a gluten-free cycle. Dunno how good it is.
The bake-it-yourself mixes cost about the same, the advantage is they taste better. (That's what I eventually succeeded in getting him to eat, a mix called Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful Bread... I'd say "wonderful" requires a pretty big stretch of the imagination, but it's edible.) If I were to go completely hardcore old-school-grandma-style, I could mix my own flours and buy things like xanthan gum, and then it would be cheaper. But I'm having a hard enough time coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to have to spend 4-6 hours a month baking bread and waffles for the next 16 years of my life. You may recall I don't enjoy cooking, and baking even less so. The things we do for our kids, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Clod where are you getting your rice milk? Walmart has Silk and Rice Dream in 1/2 gallon containers in the milk section for less than $3. Silk also comes in single serves, like juice boxes, by the case for like $18.

IMO unsweetened Silk is the closest to cow milk in flavor/texture.
My grocery store sells Rice Dream quarts for $1.99, no half-gallons. At this point he's still refusing all cereals (that aren't Cheerios) anyway, so smaller packages means less spoilage until he gets back into the groove. On my to-do list is to go check out the local Costco; a dietician friend of my mom's said they've actually got a really impressive selection of special-diet foods. They'll probably have it cheaper.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #159
Flint
Snowflake

Back when my wife was a vegetarian, we let my Sam's card lapse and signed up for Costco because of much healthier foods available.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #160
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
But I'm having a hard enough time coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to have to spend 4-6 hours a month baking bread and waffles for the next 16 years of my life. You may recall I don't enjoy cooking, and baking even less so. The things we do for our kids, eh?

OK here's the plan: Fobette being ready for preschool will co-incide with the beginning of the economic recovery, and those first green shoots will be heralded by companies wanting training videos for their new hires and authoritative voices for their commercials to inspire confidence in the market place. You'll reem in the money and be able to emply a cook to deal with all that special diet crap. better still, you can write his/her salary off as a medical expense on your taxes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #161
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
snip~I wish I could find a way to be more ecstatic without sounding ridiculous. ~snip
The reward, the hard won reward, revel in it!
Quote:
Please forgive the massive amount of detail, but I have a few family and friends following this thread now so I don't have to keep updating everyone individually.
No no no no, we want every stinkin' detail, type until your fingers fall off. Moar!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #162
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
You'll reem in the money and be able to emply a cook to deal with all that special diet crap. better still, you can write his/her salary off as a medical expense on your taxes
Heh... we were talking about that just the other night actually, how if we find a winning lottery ticket on the street the first thing we're doing is hiring a full-time chef. But you better believe the medical expenses are getting written off next year. 7.5% is a high threshhold to meet, but a lot of ancillary costs count, like paying for daytime care for your other kids so you have time to deal with the one kid's therapy.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #163
Clodfobble

Oh, be still my beating heart...! I have discovered a completely GFCF cafe just a few miles from our house which specifically caters to children.

And there are hints that they sell "family portions" to go, like I could maybe order 50 of their chicken nuggets and freeze them at home for future use. Assuming they're any good; we'll be finding that out soon.

AND if nothing else, they have a little retail pantry section too, and they sell two Minifob-approved snack foods (Glutino pretzels and Kinnikinnick animal crackers) at prices cheaper than the health food store I've been buying them at.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #164
Pie
Gone and done

Awesome!
As time goes on, you will find more and more resources. It's hardest when you're just starting!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #165
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Having some nearby alternatives for the days that there is no time, or you're overwhelmed, is fantastic. Even the days you don't need them, just knowing they are there is comforting.

Tags
autism, food intolerance