The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #106
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Starting another week at the gym. Haven't missed a day yet. I may need to take a week off and just do some yoga or something soon. I am getting quite tired of getting up every day.

Last Friday was difficult. I forgot half of my heart rate monitor, so I didn't get a chance to do my cardio. I did, however, get a chance to get my blood taken for tests. I did my strength training and said I would just go back on Saturday to finish the week's cardio. Yea, that almost didn't happen. I did get there and actually took a shower. That will never happen again if I can help it. It was a fucking joke. I was so annoyed by the time I was done, it felt like the workout was a waste. I should've just taken a shower to burn those calories!!

Later!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #107
bbro

I think they are revamping my gym. Things are being moved around - I don't like it - lol. It would be good if they are expanding, but, I never see many people there when I go, so I don't think that's it.

Anyways, I have been upping the weights on my exercises for the ones that seem a little too easy this week. I think I am going to be SORE tomorrow! Poor legs.

On the bright side, I think I am getting a bigger butt!! In a good way that is.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #108
monster
I hear them call the tide

Second day back after the annual shutdown......my abs are going to rebel any second now.......

Booked my 6-months-later fitness assessment.....
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #109
monster

Went to the docs today for my annual. She said my blood pressure was fantabulous (it;'s always been great but apparently it's better).... and my weightloss was "dramatic"!!! (it's not, really -probably less than 10lb since I last had an annual but she reckoned my cholesterol was bound to have come down as a result. We'll see. gotta find a 12 hour period to fast in now..... (preferred option for me is find a morning when I can stand being hungry and actually get going without a cup of tea and count 12 hours from the last beer the pervious night )
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #110
bbro

Congrats monster! I just did the whole blood test thing. Still waiting to go see the doctor, but going to the gym seemed to really help. I have another week and then I am going to take a break of sorts. I am going to probably do pilates or just cardio, but not focus so much on how many calories I am burning. Trying to head off burnout before I get there. Not today though!! Off to work the arms and heart
Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #111
bbro

Odd way of showing progress, but still shows - I have this air mattress that I always drag out when my friends come to visit. I hate it. Awkward, very heavy and I always had issues with moving it around uninflated. They are coming down this weekend and I was dreading the damn thing remembering how hard it was for me to even move into the closet. I go in, grab it, no issues! I'm throwing this thing around like the bitch it is! I am so excited! I just always thought it was a genuinely heavy thing - nope, I was a weakling. I hope these motivators keep rolling in!!

(I still hate it)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #112
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
So I got my fitness assessment and weight training orientation today. Assessment was as I thought -fit, fat and flexible. With no abs or core strength. They did two body fat tests and they came back with vastly different results. The trainer said the lower one was considered more reliable, but that one put me in the average range which is kinda hard to believe unless we really are including all of the walmart shoppers.....

So the trainer creating my workout plan concentated on machines for abs and core strength for me. I told the assessor I couldn't do a push up, but I actually managed a few -although I thought the execution was too appaling to count on most of them.
Six months later I had another fitness assessment.

I'm AWESOME!

It was later in the day (so I'm heavier -my weight varies by about 5lb during the day) but they still registered a 5lb weight loss since the last assessment. My body fat % had reduced by 3%! My cardiovascular fitness has improved by two points putting me very much above average (I was a little above average before), my resting heartrate has reduced significantly, my blood pressure is fantastic (and exactly the same as at the docs last week) my strength has increased through the roof -I did 28 (girl) push-ups and had to stop because my knees hurt too much). And I'm still incredibly flexible

The trainer was very impressed.

(The diet kind of went by the wayside..... oops....)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #113
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Odd way of showing progress, but still shows - I have this air mattress that I always drag out when my friends come to visit. I hate it. Awkward, very heavy and I always had issues with moving it around uninflated. They are coming down this weekend and I was dreading the damn thing remembering how hard it was for me to even move into the closet. I go in, grab it, no issues! I'm throwing this thing around like the bitch it is! I am so excited! I just always thought it was a genuinely heavy thing - nope, I was a weakling. I hope these motivators keep rolling in!!

(I still hate it)
This is the best sort of measure, though, isn't it? When stuff you have to do which you thought was hard work is suddenly a breeze! WTG bbro!
And Monster - awesome!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #114
bbro

Thanks Limey!

Great News Monster! I can't wait to go to my doctor in a couple weeks to go over my awesomeness

I am taking a hiatus this week from the gym. I am really tired and instead of feeling guilty, I am just making this my rest week. Still watching calories. Even with the overindulgence of Labor day weekend, I was down a half pound.

Next week includes bagel day at the gym - extra motivation anyone? lol
Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #115
bbro

Back to the gym this week. I still don't "like" it per say, but it feels more like a normal routine now.....If I could get to bed before 12:30! I upped some weights in my lower body workout, so I am expecting some soreness tomorrow. It feels like I have moved backwards in my arms (the few exercises I did yesterday). They are definitely moving much slower in terms of being able to raise the weight than my legs. I think I might be seeing some bicep definition, so it can't be too bad of a thing

Also, official weigh in day shows a total loss of 8.6 pounds. Of course, the website rounded UP in certain places. It's nice to see the number, but I want the REAL number I lost. Still - a good number for 7 weeks. About a pound a week - which is what I was aiming for

Edit to add - My BMI is now in the Overweight range!! Woot - no longer obese!!

Last edited by bbro; 09-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #116
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Yaaaaay bbro!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #117
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

BBRO: One pound a week is very good! I would be very happy with that myself.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #118
monster

Lola, are you aware that you are a completely different build from many of the rest of us who are trying to lose weight/slim down/whatever and are operating at a completely different level of fitness? And that such factors matter greatly regarding weighloss/week? Not that 1lb a week isn't great -it's perfect for where bbro and I and I suspect Razz are (or at least was for me -slowed down now)

I weigh about twice what you do and am way less fit and I've been working out seriously for 6 months. Not only is 1lb a much biggest % of your body weight than it is of mine, you also have much less fat to "burn off". you really are doing yourself a disservice to compare you weightloss to borderline-"obese" people like me. 1lb a month is a pretty neat acheivement for someone of your weight/fitness. Althoiugh why you feel you need to lose any at all is beyond me.

Do you ever see women and think "OMG, she's too skinny"?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #119
bbro

Thanks Razz and Lola.

monster - not sure where the animosity is coming from. I think Lola was just trying to give me a compliment. Also, looks can definitely be deceiving. No one can ever tell how much I actually weigh, they always guess less. Just because someone looks a certain way doesn't mean they can't lose anything (not implying that you need to Lola).
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #120
monster

Oh I'm sorry, I must've been in a crabby mood/tired, it wasn't intended as animosity -my apologies, lola. I reread it and I can see how it comes across as horrible. I just think Lola is in such great shape that she shouldn't be beating herself up about not being able to lose the same amounts we can. I dodn't see how it came across as bad about you, though, but i'm also sorry if i offended you.

And anyone else. Really, it wasn't what i was trying to say at all.