Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #31
jester
why so serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha View Post
Baked beans, eh, Dana? I believe that's common for breakfast in the southern parts of the U.S., but I've not done it. Not yet, that is. I shall have to give it a go.
ok - i'm in the south, but not gonna have baked beans for breakfast or any kind of beans for that matter.

however, bacon, eggs (over-easy), biscuits (really like the pillsbury frozen kind-mm), and gravy - don't have it that often, cause i'd probably die from it.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #32
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Short version since it is pretty flexible:
While cooking the noodles, saute prosciutto (ham) and garlic in olive oil. Beat eggs in a couple tblsp of olive oil. Dump the noodles into the saute pan (still hot but burner off) and toss the eggs with the noodles, ham, and garlic. yummy
oh yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh if we're talking breakfast:

2 Lincolnshire sausages, 2 rashers of bacon, well cooked, a fried egg, with runny yolk (intact), sliced mushrooms fried in butter, hot chopped tomatoes, baked beans and (if being good) 2 slices of buttered toast; or (if being bad) 2 slices of fried bread.

(for variety, replace one of the sausages with black pudding).

Served with hot coffee and a glass of fresh orange.
Nobody does breakfast like the british.

As for me

Mostly just Coffee and something like a graham cracker

If hungry or cooking for another.
banana
yogurt
Toast or cereal ( mini wheats, raisin bran something like that)
pastrys ( sparingly) Im on a diet
french toast or waffles with jam or syrup ...or with strawberrys on special occassions.
oatmeal
bacon
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #33
Cloud

hot chopped tomatoes?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #34
jester
why so serious

and a little side note - if i eat breakfast - it's only on Saturdays - i never eat breakfast during the week - i might have a pack of crackers & coffee around 10 am and then i eat lunch around 1:30 - 2:00 pm

(i don't have time for it)
Old 07-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #35
rkzenrage

Sometimes I make an open-faced sammich.
Real baguette (hard to find here), slice so that it is mostly crust on the bottom with just some "bread" left on top. I shave some of the crust off so that it sits flat
Sweet cream butter
Gorgonzola
Real prosciutto, paper thin
a little green virgin olive oil over the top
in a hot oven for a bit
top with fresh basil
Sometimes I will add good olives sliced very thin before heating when I can find decent olives.

I used to make it when I was a chef for a bistro, for my lunch... they added it to the menu because people kept asking for it while I ate it with a hot cup of "Red-eye" black.
That is three parts black French roast, or whatever your strongest is, and one part espresso.
And my sauceless shaved red cole slaw with pine nuts. Also, later added to the menu.
Another restaurant added my Muffallatta recipe to their menu, it is still served today.
Edit:
They use yellow raisins in that cole slaw (its just a salad really, but I think of it as a sauceless cole slaw), but I used chopped dried cranberries for the fruit... it was much better my way.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-13-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #36
rkzenrage

It's funny, I can't afford to cook for myself like I used to professionally any more. Not since losing my job... not really funny I guess.
This week, we are going through the kitchen and getting rid of all my stuff. It is very hard.
I just can't cook any more.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #37
jester
why so serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
It's funny, I can't afford to cook for myself like I used to professionally any more. Not since losing my job... not really funny I guess.
This week, we are going through the kitchen and getting rid of all my stuff. It is very hard.
I just can't cook any more.
"stuff" can't you teach someone - "how to"? someone in your family - your kids? (not sure how old)
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #38
rkzenrage

I just can't anymore. Too painful. I can't sit that long any more.
My son loves to cook, does with my mom. He has his own toy kitchen, it is huge.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #39
skysidhe

that sandwich looks good....and I'm not that much of a sandwich person either.

oh and can you send me the turkey baster please?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #40
rkzenrage

I have a couple. I'll see which one my mom chooses and will send you the other.
If she does not choose it, I'll mail you a metal one that also injects into meat.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #41
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I have a couple. I'll see which one my mom chooses and will send you the other.
If she does not choose it, I'll mail you a metal one that also injects into meat.
No way! You're kidding me. Really?

I don't need a diploma to use that metal one do I?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #42
rkzenrage

No. You'll do fine if mom does not take it.

As for the sammich sky, with it being open-faced, a lot of people ate it with a fork and knife like some do pizza. It's kinda' like one.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #43
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

The stuff we cook ourselves for dinner usually are...

Lamb chops, sauteed swiss chard or asparagus
Penne with chicken sausage and tomato sauce
Grilled trout or salmon or mahi mahi, zucchini and yellow squash
Grilled burgers with Amish bacon, potato salad, salad greens
Beef, tomato, pepper and onion kabobs
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #44
rkzenrage

If you like lamb chops, try reducing some red wine, your fave... I like a nice merlot, it gets dry and fruity when you reduce it, cool, marinate them in it for a few hours (more never does any good, the truth, sorry for you "marinated this for three days" folks).
It is best not to grill cold meat.
Then grill the chops, while adding the wine from time to time; add some blue cheese (your favorite) and fresh rosemary with garlic (smashed to bring out the oils) at the last few min on the top. Just enough to melt the cheese about half-way.
Thing I love about lamb, especially chops, is that it stands-up to REAL flavors.

This works really well with a nice spinach salad with some fruit, nuts and cucumbers, compliments the blue and the wine sauce that ends-up happening a bit on the meat, and some hard rolls. Personally, I would only put some virgin olive oil and a bit of balsamic on the side of the salad with some black pepper and garlic in it, no salt. If you wanted to add a bit of the balsamic to the wine after reduction if you know you are going to do this it would be a good idea. If you are going to add salt, only use kosher, the iodine of table salt would destroy this dish. Then again, once you use coarse kosher, you will throw away your table... I did years ago and have not had table salt in my home since.
For some reason I don't like potatoes with this dish.

Again, just me, but, if the spinach is nice, I would not put any dressing on it, suggest it for your guests, at least for the first bite.
Especially if you can get some good pecans, pine nuts or walnuts, grapefruit, or navels to go with it.... be sure to add just a touch of that fresh rosemary and a hint of mint to it, if you can find it. Why not try melon in there? A firm one, cut very small?
Black pepper, band the cukes, don't leave the skin on or skin them completely, and add them last, nice and cold.
Roll the spinach in a towel after you wash it and put the towel in the fridge in the towel, it will color it up and keep it from drying out. It also allows you to wash it early in the day. I would not add any cheese to the salad or salt to the meat dish in any way.

I want to cook...

BTW, if you make the salad without the meat and use the melon and the citrus, try to add some chili powder. To be sure, make it, put some in a bowl and try it... it is not for everyone.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-13-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 AM   #45
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Those are some wonderful ideas, rk. I'll have to try them. I agree, coarse salt is definitely the way to go.

I don't see potatoes going with lamb, either. Weird, huh.

One thing, though--I like to pan sear my lamb chops while they're still a little frozen, that way they stay rare on the inside. I usually get the really small ones, so they turn out great.

I have some NM chile powder that I use on everything I can...I'll try it per your suggestion, sounds delicious.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote