The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #91
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics live in them. Developmentally impaired people like tw try to sell them believing that if he can sell one, they must be real. Whacko leftist extremists like tw don't recognize how people are, only how he thinks they should be and of course they should all be like him. Whacko leftist extremists like tw promote reckless abandon in their endeavors while we moderates use a common sense approach balancing the needs of all the people rather than trying to mold them all into our own image. We moderates recognize that good people can have bad ideas while whacko leftist extremists like tw labels anyone who doesn't agree with him un-American: patriotism, the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Adult Americans welcome the tired, poor, and huddled Syrian masses yearning to breath free. ... Moderates know what is written on the Statue of Liberty.
Moderates know the poem was written for an art auction to raise money for construction of the Statue's pedestal. It played no role in the opening of the Statue in 1886. Putting a transcript inside the Statue was the idea of the artist's promoter to make the artist famous.

Moderates reference the poem in context of balancing the needs of the many with the needs of the few and moderates reference the poen as it actually reads, not as they think it should read for their own agenda at the moment Developmentally impaired whacko leftist extremist tw bastardizes the poem using propagandist technique in an attempt to obfuscate not being grounded reality.

Moderates win, developmentally impaired whacko leftist extremist tw loses and that's the name of that tune.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #92
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Interesting piece by Frankie Boyle in the Guardian:

Quote:
There were a lot of tributes after the horror in Paris. It has to be said that Trafalgar Square is an odd choice of venue to show solidarity with France; presumably Waterloo was too busy. One of the most appropriate tributes was Adele dedicating Hometown Glory to Paris, just as the raids on St-Denis started. A song about south London where, 10 years ago, armed police decided to hysterically blow the face off a man just because he was a bit beige.

In times of crisis, we are made to feel we should scrutinise our government’s actions less closely, when surely that’s when we should pay closest attention. There’s a feeling that after an atrocity history and context become less relevant, when surely these are actually the worst times for a society to go on psychopathic autopilot. Our attitudes are fostered by a society built on ideas of dominance, where the solution to crises are force and action, rather than reflection and compromise.

If that sounds unbearably drippy, just humour me for a second and imagine a country where the response to Paris involved an urgent debate about how to make public spaces safer and marginalised groups less vulnerable to radicalisation. Do you honestly feel safer with a debate centred around when we can turn some desert town 3,000 miles away into a sheet of glass? Of course, it’s not as if the west hasn’t learned any lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan. This time round, no one’s said out loud that we’re going to win.
Read the rest here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...thic-autopilot
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #93
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Our attitudes are fostered by a society built on ideas of dominance, where the solution to crises are force and action, rather than reflection and compromise.
Reflection and compromise? Who is he suggesting compromise with whom? Waxing poetic about Muslims doing great things a thousand years ago has no bearing on anything current. He really thinks the prime target of ISIS is the west, when in reality we're down the list.
The prime target is all Muslims, world wide, who do not submit to the ISIS Caliphate and follow their 7th century code. Next on the list are the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Iran, and other Muslim countries who have tried to modernize, committing offences like educating children, especially girls, in anything other than the Koran. Next is all western companies doing business in the Caliphate, which would by then include the entire Middle East, most of Africa, and Indonesia.

Then because of the requirements under 7th century rules, for the Caliph to remain in his position he must remain at war and expand the Caliphate continuously until it covers the entire Earth, comes the west. These terror attacks, and the subsequent reprisals, are just a recruitment tool.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #94
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
developmentally impaired whacko leftist extremist tw loses and that's the name of that tune.
Speaking of an adult who is still a child. Personal attacks are justified when one is Ted Cruz, Joseph McCarthy, Rush Limbaugh, or Ann Coulter. Hate justifies any oondescending action. Overaged children who are bullies will replicate actions of their heroes.

How ironic that a child is so similar to ISIS. Both have an enemies list. Can just anyone get on it?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #95
sexobon

We moderates don't make enemies tw. We just deal in facts that go to the credibility of a source. You presenting as a developmentally impaired whacko leftist extremist means you have very little credibility and that makes you more like a pet ... one that hasn't been paper trained yet. Had you wanted to be a hero whose actions others would replicate, you shouldn't have become a propagandist.

Fact: Moderates prevail over developmentally impaired whacko leftist extremist tw.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #96
DanaC

Meanwhile:

Quote:
In the wake of the Paris attacks, politicians in the United States and Europe are claiming that the movement of refugees and migrants across Europe's borders made it possible for Islamic State (ISIS) militants to infiltrate the continent.

In response, Europe is tightening its borders, and the refugee crisis has become an unlikely subject in next year's U.S. election. So far, Donald Trump has questioned whether Syrian refugees seeking asylum in America were part of a "Trojan Horse" plot and Gov. Chris Christie has suggested that even 5-year-old Syrian orphans should be kept out of the U.S. There have also been calls to discriminate among refugees according to religion.

But while investigators are still unravelling the plot, one fact is clear at this point: Not one Paris attacker has been officially identified as a refugee.
http://mashable.com/2015/11/23/paris...-not-refugees/

All this talk of refugees as a dangerous thing- as potentially a route for terrorists to enter the country is pure fear-mongering. It is precisely what the Islamic State nutcases want. They do not want the west to harbour refugees. They don ot want the west to trust the muslims in their countries. They want social dischord between muslims and their non-muslim countrymen or host - because that is a recruiting tool for them.

We, and I count my own fucked up little country in this, are willingly becoming what they want us to become. Syrian refugees - some of the most vulnerable people in the world right now - are being painted as potential monsters, or a wave of human effluence just threatening to wasj over us. They're described in terms of rabid dogs, and politicians seemingly feel comfortable contemplating a fucking religious test to weed out the muslims and only take the christians. Because 8 men and women, seemingly raised in Europe, attacked Paris, the hundreds of thousands of fleeing Syrians are now seen as terrorists.

Jesus fucking christ are we here again so soon? Trump's suggestions about databases and ID cards for muslims could have come straight from Mein Kampf.

Last edited by DanaC; 11-25-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #97
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
All this talk of refugees as a dangerous thing- as potentially a route for terrorists to enter the country is pure fear-mongering. It is precisely what the Islamic State nutcases want. .
And then people who think (without being emotional) include facts. All those Paris terrorist except one had passports from NATO countries. That means they could even come to the US without a visa. Greatest threat is only from immigrants when wacko extremists preach to the emotional and naive. Far more dangerous are real threats such as citizens in theaters, automobiles, and lightning.

Is Thor an immigrant? Must be. Donald Trump and Ted Cruz said so.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #98
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Jesus fucking christ are we here again so soon? Trump's suggestions about databases and ID cards for muslims could have come straight from Mein Kampf.
Exactly what ISIS wants. Who is going to answer the call to join them, someone who's free and content, or someone harassed and suppressed where they live? In fairness to Trump, I can agree those refugees are just as dangerous as Mexicans.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #99
sexobon

Quote:
... politicians seemingly feel comfortable contemplating a fucking religious test to weed out the muslims and only take the christians. Because 8 men and women, seemingly raised in Europe, attacked Paris, the hundreds of thousands of fleeing Syrians are now seen as terrorists. ...
FYI @ Dani,

Religious test is already an integral part of the US immigration screening process.

The reason you gave for politicians wanting to weed out Muslims is not the only one out there.

I'm posting a link to an article with another rationale. This does not constitute my endorsement of it. It's just to broaden your knowledge:

Refugee ‘Religious Test’ Is ‘Shameful’ and ‘Not American’ … Except that Federal Law Requires It
Old 11-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #100
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Be careful Dani, Sexobon is blowing smoke up your skirt.

The author of this article in Sexton’s link is the same attorney who, under GW Bush,
“defended the practice of waterboarding as not necessarily being torture,
and as necessary in some situations to prosecute the War on Terror”
... and then [coyly] admitted that "waterboarding is close enough to torture
that reasonable minds can differ on whether it is torture".

These guys are trying to overwhelm us into believing there is a legal basis
to exclude refugees on the basis of the their religion.
But I haven’t found it because there are only the following four places
in the citation where the word “religion” is used.

Before asylum is granted:
One section defines religious persecution as one of the several
legal reasons that a refugee can be granted asylum.
One section defines the refugee as having the burden of proof
to show that IF ASYLUM IS NOT GRANTED, the refugee would be harmed,
and defines religious persecution as one of the valid reasons.
One section defines reasons for NOT granting asylum is that
if the refugee had participated in religious persecution of some else.

After asylum has been granted:
One section defines several ways that asylum can be terminated
… one is when the refugee agrees to the termination
and will not be persecuted in the next country of choice.

Maybe Sexobon can cite where the law allows the person's religion,
itself, to be the reason for denying asylum.

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:38 AM   #101
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Are these refugees coming in under asylum? I thought they were coming here under humanitarian circumstances. Either way I'd read in several places finding out their religion was part of the vetting process, but nobody said any particular religion would be a disqualifier. Bearing in mind this was not official policy but internet scuttlebutt, however if it is a disqualifier, I should think one camp or the other would have brought it up.

That National Review link says...
Quote:
There is no right to emigrate to the United States. And the fact that one comes from a country or territory ravaged by war does not, by itself, make one an asylum candidate. War, regrettably, is a staple of the human condition. Civil wars are generally about power. That often makes them violent and, for many, tragic; but it does not necessarily make them wars in which one side is persecuting the other side.
This started as a civil war but has long grown out of that, I think there's probably more non-Syrians than natives at this point. I mean this is Hobbit shit, battle of the 5 armies territory.
Quote:
In the case of this war, the Islamic State is undeniably persecuting Christians. It is doing so, moreover, as a matter of doctrine. Even those Christians the Islamic State does not kill, it otherwise persecutes as called for by its construction of sharia (observe, for example, the ongoing rape jihad and sexual slavery). To the contrary, the Islamic State seeks to rule Muslims, not kill or persecute them.
This is were he goes astray, he has no idea what he's taking about. First, the Islamic state is ISIS, not Syria although they are one of the players there. Under ISIS' 7th century version of the teachings, Christian are not the enemy to be persecuted as long as they pay a tribute, and recognize ISIS right to rule. The #1 enemy is Muslims who refuse to submit to ISIS and toe the line. Those Muslims must die first, which means these refugees are in danger.

Here's ISIS' reasoning.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #102
DanaC

The refugees coming to America have been through an 18 month long vetting procedure, before they get to board the plane.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #103
sexobon

Quote:
... I'm posting a link to an article with another rationale. This does not constitute my endorsement of it. It's just to broaden your knowledge:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Be careful Dani, Sexobon is blowing smoke up your skirt. ...

... Maybe Sexobon can cite where the law allows the person's religion,
itself, to be the reason for denying asylum.
I see you're still hell-bent on misrepresenting what other people in the Cellar have say. I said there was another argument out there and demonstrated that by citing it. No follow-up is required since I'm not advocating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Are these refugees coming in under asylum? I thought they were coming here under humanitarian circumstances. ...
We don't simply take in everyone who's on the losing side of civil strife; or, war.

Quote:
... The #1 enemy is Muslims who refuse to submit to ISIS and toe the line. Those Muslims must die first, which means these refugees are in danger.
Of course, of course, that's why they massacred people in Paris. Funny you can deduce that ISIS is in recruiting mode; but, don't recognize that their priorities on who dies first have changed with that.

Quote:
The refugees coming to America have been through an 18 month long vetting procedure, before they get to board the plane.
That's been repeated here and is still relevant to the notion that refugees who make it to the US don't present a danger; but, not to the notion that what constitutes refugee eligibility for relocation here is being expanded.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #104
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
We don't simply take in everyone who's on the losing side of civil strife; or, war.
Generally no, but that doesn't mean we can't in extenuating circumstances. We took half a million Vietnamese, and a shit load of Cubans.
Quote:
Of course, of course, that's why they massacred people in Paris. Funny you can deduce that ISIS is in recruiting mode; but, don't recognize that their priorities on who dies first have changed with that.
Get real, less than 200 in Paris, they behead that many on a good day. Paris was a pisshole in a snowbank compared to what they're doing at home. Killing a few French doesn't recruit, the French retaliation, the airstrikes, are what they want and need to fire up recruitment drives. Westerners attacking the homeland fires up closet Jihadists to come out and fence sitters to fall their way.
Quote:
That's been repeated here and is still relevant to the notion that refugees who make it to the US don't present a danger; but, not to the notion that what constitutes refugee eligibility for relocation here is being expanded.
There is a standard procedure for handing the trickle of émigrés day in and day out. A set or rules for the low level minions you make decisions without interrupting the boss' golf game. One of them is religious persecution but that's not the only reason and if they weren't Muslims it probably wouldn't even be mentioned, except for politics.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #105
sexobon

Quote:
... Get real, less than 200 in Paris, they behead that many on a good day. Paris was a pisshole in a snowbank compared to what they're doing at home. Killing a few French doesn't recruit, the French retaliation, the airstrikes, are what they want and need to fire up recruitment drives. Westerners attacking the homeland fires up closet Jihadists to come out and fence sitters to fall their way.
Cause and effect, western response is predictable and reliable, that's reality. Trying to separate cause and effect in terms of eventual ramifications doesn't hold water.

Quote:
... There is a standard procedure for handing the trickle of émigrés day in and day out. A set or rules for the low level minions you make decisions without interrupting the boss' golf game. One of them is religious persecution but that's not the only reason and if they weren't Muslims it probably wouldn't even be mentioned, except for politics.
Standards change with the political wind. That's why people have been protesting immigration policies forever. One has to separate the policies in practice from both the procedures and the law. This has been made apparent in other areas such as the American experience with the NSA. People think it's all good; until, they get blindsided with the fact that it's not because they dropped their vigilance.

Oh, and furthermore, have a Happy Thanksgiving. I'm away for the rest of the day. We'll chew the cud some more later.