Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
that merely eleven in a hundred Americans is willing to

Who hacked UG's account?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #32
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

If there were any intelligent, non-freak candidates, other than Obama, to vote for, I would definately consider it. As it stands, I am NOT willing to accept what these morons are selling just to see Obama out of office. I mean really...have you all looked at the candidates in depth? . It's enough to make me want to move out of the country.

And for the record, my issue with Obama is that he is too neutral and not tough enough. I want someone in there who will FIGHT for the things I believe in, not cave at the slightest opposition.

They're all liars, hypocrites, and greedy mofo's, not to mention bought and paid for. Not a one of them has the best interests of the majority of the American public at heart. And they're not listening to us so they never will be a true representative of the people. They represent the dollar and corporate power, not me.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Apols to all the People Of Faith here, but I have a deep seated suspicion of anyone who gets their "wisdom" from an old book that essentially has been messed around with for over a century until it passed muster by committee.

I have more respect for the Constitution, simply because it's newer and hasn't been allowed to change. But even that was written by political white men in a time when women were not allowed to vote and people were considered chattel.

I don't care an awful lot for Nick Clegg (Deputy Leader) but at least he's an atheist, and doesn't have a big guy in the sky telling him what to do.

Well, his wife is Catholic, so substitute Big Guy for Lady....
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #34
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Stormie - you are on a roll lately. I couldn't agree more.
Obama has been tentative and the rule by polls, terrible.
The alternatives are truly frightening and leave one with no alternative. Things are gonna suck for a long time.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #35
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Isn't Obama kind of hampered in what he can and can't do as President though? I don't even pretend to understand the US political system, it seems as byzantine and illogical as my own, but watching from over here I am often surprised at how powerless the President seems as an individual player. Is that the case, or is it just that he hasn;t played the system well enough to be effective?

During the debt ceiling fiasco, people were saying that he should stick to his guns and fight for what it is he stands for, but had he done that then the negotiations would have failed and the US would have defaulted on its bills. There didn't appear to be any mechanism for him to impose a solution.

The Prime Minister is a much more powerful figure in British politics. Similar checks and balances exist, but the PM's capacity for action and executive decision seems much more extensive.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #36
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Isn't Obama kind of hampered in what he can and can't do as President though?
In addition to self-imposed limits, like having to play the adult and not let the country to default, there is the additional limit caused by the filibuster.

When the Democrats were in the minority, even though they filibustered or used the threat of filibuster sparingly, Ann Coulter made the rounds of conservative talk shows and correctly stated that the filibuster is a rule and has no backing in law or the Constitution. When the Democrats gained the majority she was strangely silent. The Republican minority used filibusters at least 7 times more often than Democrats had ever done. This was one of the major reasons why many of the Obama administration initiatives failed to pass.

It was also, ironically, one of the reasons Republicans were able to retake the House of Representatives. Voters were right to ask why the Obama failed to fulfill his promises. Unfortunately, in the election that followed, they ended up rewarding the obstructionists that caused the situation that they were complaining about. They also set the stage for gridlock.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #37
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Seven ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...131634517.html
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #38
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Yes. Any president is limited in what he or she can do by the restrictions placed upon them by the five or six corporations that currently own and run the US. This is why it doesn't really matter who you vote for, it's like choosing between salt or pepper on your shit sandwich.

Or to put it less scatalogically: different puppets, same puppeteers.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #39
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
The president was hampered by extremists in his party who could not compromise (during Health Care) even when they were the majority. Eventually they had to compromise. But only after costing Obama so much time and so much political capital. As a result, moderate Democrats (and not extremist Democrats) took it on the chin in the mid-term elections. So we ended up with a Congress of even more extremists - less moderates.

Extremists will do anything - harm the American economy - to promote their wacko agenda. They literally took the nation to the verge of default because their political agenda, inspired by Limbaugh genius, has given us so many good things - ie Mission Accomplished and the American surrender in Afghanistan. America may have never had a Congress so wacko extremist since before the Civil War when extremists also created what they wanted.

No leader can fix that. Obama has defined objectives. In a Congress dominated by mental midgets in both parties, Obama has done well. After three years, he cannot even get many of his subordinate officers approved by Congress. That never happened before. But wackos, especially those educated by Faux News, are that dumb as to want to destroy America. Even a Nobel Prize winning quit trying to take an office because Congress is now so dumb at to put secret holds on so many nominations. Wackos who, even in the Cellar, have had their intelligence questioned for good reason.

Wackos once did not dominate Congress. One cannot blame Obama for so many Americans so dumb as to listen to Rush Limbaugh and recite Ann Coulter 'wisdom'.

Christine O'Donnell is a perfect example of what extremist call and promoted as a good Senator. Who could be so easily manipulated as to think Palin is anything but a buffoon? How does a president get anything done in a Congress approved by so many who also like O'Donnell? It cannot happen. Mental midgets now run Washington because so may will do exactly what extremist talk radio tells them.

How many wacko extremists apologize for massacring 4.500 American soldiers uselessly in Iraq? That would mean admitting to being manipulated by soundbytes. Extremists cannot be that honest.

Many years ago, I warned our overseas brethren how wacko extremists in this nation were worshipping Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, etc. I noted how overseas observers could not understand how wacko extremists were routinely brainwashed by soundbytes multiple times daily. We now have what I had warned about almost a decade ago. You cannot blame Obama for an America where white males now obtain less education then their parents. Limbaugh, et al disparage the bourgeois and intelligentsia. And extremist say that is good.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #40
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

How do we change that? I have a pitchfork and a torch, if that helps.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #41
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Extremists will do anything - harm the American economy - to promote their wacko agenda. They literally took the nation to the verge of default because their political agenda, inspired by Limbaugh genius, has given us so many good things - ie Mission Accomplished and the American surrender in Afghanistan. America may have never had a Congress so wacko extremist since before the Civil War when extremists also created what they wanted.
I said this before the election, though not so well: personal over country. That's patriotism?

We the people. Me the people. Ugh.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #42
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
The president was hampered by extremists in his party who could not compromise (during Health Care) even when they were the majority. Eventually they had to compromise. But only after costing Obama so much time and so much political capital. As a result, moderate Democrats (and not extremist Democrats) took it on the chin in the mid-term elections. So we ended up with a Congress of even more extremists - less moderates.

No leader can fix that. Obama has defined objectives. In a Congress dominated by mental midgets in both parties, Obama has done well. After three years, he cannot even get many of his subordinate officers approved by Congress. That never happened before. But wackos, especially those educated by Faux News, are that dumb as to want to destroy America. Even a Nobel Prize winning quit trying to take an office because Congress is now so dumb at to put secret holds on so many nominations. Wackos who, even in the Cellar, have had their intelligence questioned for good reason.

Wackos once did not dominate Congress. One cannot blame Obama for so many Americans so dumb as to listen to Rush Limbaugh and recite Ann Coulter 'wisdom'.

Christine O'Donnell is a perfect example of what extremist call and promoted as a good Senator. Who could be so easily manipulated as to think Palin is anything but a buffoon? How does a president get anything done in a Congress approved by so many who also like O'Donnell? It cannot happen. Mental midgets now run Washington because so may will do exactly what extremist talk radio tells them.

How many wacko extremists apologize for massacring 4.500 American soldiers uselessly in Iraq? That would mean admitting to being manipulated by soundbytes. Extremists cannot be that honest.

Many years ago, I warned our overseas brethren how wacko extremists in this nation were worshipping Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, etc. I noted how overseas observers could not understand how wacko extremists were routinely brainwashed by soundbytes multiple times daily. We now have what I had warned about almost a decade ago. You cannot blame Obama for an America where white males now obtain less education then their parents. Limbaugh, et al disparage the bourgeois and intelligentsia. And extremist say that is good.
Merely set dressing and has nothing to do with the script or the producers of the play.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #43
glatt

I think the problems are the wacko extremists on both sides, and unfortunately, the majority are extremists now. Moderates are an endangered species.

Why are we here?

I speculate that it's gerrymandering. The incumbents are drawing the lines on the map when the new census comes out, and they are drawing the lines so that they have a solid base to be reelected. So now you have districts that lean heavily Democrat or heavily Republican, but there are very few that are balanced. In a balanced district, you have to appeal to the moderate swing voters to win an election. In a gerrymandered district, you only have to appeal to your base.

Add to this the rise of the internet over the last decade or two, and like minded people finding each other on political forums. They get into this feedback loop where they think everyone agrees with them and those other people are the enemy.

And then you have the media. The Right seems to have more success at these Rush Limbaugh and Fox news type shows that get everyone marching together in an extremist lockstep formation. But the Left has made feeble attempts to go down that path as well.

Right now it all seems worse, because we are in the primaries, and the Republicans are speaking only to their base right now. So they sound like wacko extremists. It will be amusing to watch them try to change their rhetoric in several months when they try to appeal to the middle. I can't see any of them pulling it off.

All of these factors are pushing us towards more polarization, and there is little room for moderates. It's depressing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
Griff
still says videotape

Huntsman is starting to reposition calling his rivals out as the extremists they are, but we'll see...

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...s-unelectable/
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #45
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I don't understand why he isn't doing better. He really seems like the most rational of them all.
Then again thats not saying much is it?

Tags
politics