The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 2nd, 2018 : Yum, Roadkill

People across the country salvage and eat roadkill, it’s only illegal in CA and TX.
33 states have a system for recycling roadkill into charities and food banks.
But Alaska has a bigger problem, higher speeds from a sparse population, and hefty moose.
Roadkill is legally state property and technically drivers seeing unattended roadkill are required to report it.

Sorry Mom, your calf is kaput.

Quote:
Even as Alaska works to improve road lighting, clear encroaching brush for visibility, and install one-way gates that funnel moose off the roads, wildlife experts estimate that 800 to 1,000 moose die in “vehicular interactions” every year. Moose strikes are so common in some areas that Del Frate has heard of locals devising bumper guard systems that allow them to smash into a beast and drive away with minimal damage to their vehicles. Then you’ve got a lesser number of deer strikes in the southeast, says Tony Kavalok, a Division of Wildlife Conservation worker since 2002. And the occasional bear, mountain goat, or caribou strike in other climes. That’s, conservatively, over a million pounds of rotting animal scattered across the state, blocking roadways and attracting scavengers.
Eating Road Salt

Quote:
But in the ‘70s, Alaska developed a clever system to turn this burden into a boon: The state created a roadkill salvage program. In this system, the state contacts citizens and charities every time a trooper finds or is alerted to a big animal dead on the road. Soon thereafter, these groups and individuals swoop in, spirit the corpses away, and turn them into hundreds of thousands of pounds of edible meat every year. In theory, this lean red flesh is as versatile as beef, but it’s typically hacked into stew chuck or ground down for use in burgers and sausages. Game meats, which are wiry to start with and ever tougher with age, benefit from being broken up and mixed with their own fat.
Training the Kids to Use the Crosswalk.

link
Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
phelps
Eavesdropper

The law is that way in Texas because it is a hunting law. You can't hunt from the road, and if they didn't have the law that way, hayseeds with giant pickups would "accidentally" hit the deer, and then harvest it without a tag (and often not even in season.)

Texas also has the same program for deer -- if you hit a deer, you can contact the game wardens, and they will come harvest the roadkill and give the venison to charity.
phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hitting a deer is common in PA, over 100,000 a year, usually when you're on your way to somewhere important.
However it's really hard to do it intentionally, as in go out and hunt dear with your bumper.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Bullshit. If I hit a deer, and ruin my car, if anybody eats that sumbitch it's gonna be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelps View Post
...hayseeds with giant pickups would "accidentally" hit the deer, and then harvest it without a tag (and often not even in season.)
That would be stupid in the extreme. For starters, it's gonna get damn expensive hitting animals with your car.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Need heavy duty bull bars.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Werd.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Werd.
Did you mean Weird?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, word.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Werd.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #10
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Werd.
What does it mean, I'm so confused.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Werd...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Urban Dictionary: Werd/Word
A positive affirmation like yeah

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Dayum!! Dat chick got ass for days!!"

"Word."

Translation:

"My. What an attractive young lady."

"F'shizzle."

I've been using 'werd' ever since I learned that America's first African-American-owned-radio-station's call letters were WERD.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Apologies for the confusion, Fargon.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, snap! I thought I made it up:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  51.6 KB

~Urban Dictionary