The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Republicans find proof of voter fraud in Florida

Well, it appears that the Republican party has found incontrovertible proof of voter fraud in Florida. It was really easy for them to do so, since it turns out they paid for it.

From here

Quote:
The Republican Party promptly fired a voter registration contractor this week after the firm, Strategic Allied Consulting, turned in illegible, incorrect, and falsified voter registration forms to Florida election officials.
Quote:
Saying the party has “zero tolerance” for voter fraud, the GOP also filed complaints against the company with the Florida Secretary of State’s office. The company, run by long-time GOP operative Nathan Sproul, says a single employee was responsible for the forged signatures, though the problem, by Friday, had spread to 10 counties.
10 counties?!!! That's a lot more that one or two corrupt employees. Now I understand all of this voter ID ballyhoo. It's like an alcoholic calling the front desk and asking to remove the bottles from the honor bar. Knowing that they could not help themselves from committing voter fraud, Republicans nationwide are attempting to protect the election system from themselves.

The problem is that the contractor they are using is also active in other states in multiple roles. The guys standing in front of a voting site trying to turn away any visible Obama supporters will probably also be tied to them.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

finding proof of voter fraud in Florida?

Isn't that like finding proof of water on Earth?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Adak
Lecturer

Oh clearly, it's only the Republicans who have fraudulent voters.

Voter fraud is voter fraud, no matter which party is involved, and which politician is helped.

Both parties should be earnest in making reasonable steps to stop voter fraud, a reality. When your political system is based on the power of the vote, you need to be sure it's kept in good stead. Everyone should have faith that their elections were conducted honestly.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
finding proof of voter fraud in Florida?

Isn't that like finding proof of water on Earth?

Two words: hanging chads.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Adak
Lecturer

Your political choices may be VERY questionable, but your sense of humor is excellent.

I would very much like to have Obama remain in public office:

Obama for Dog Catcher in 2013!
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wait...I might take the dog catcher job. I didn't realize there was an opening. Probably get ripped apart less by wild rabid dogs than I am by students.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

There is a difference between an ineligible individual voting out of ignorance or stupidity and a company hired by the REPUBLICAN party for $1.3m who is intentionally committing fraud by changing voters forms or throwing out registrations for the other party. BIG difference.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Fraud is rife within the system. We all know this. I registered to vote by filling out a form, no ID required. I could easily have done so several times, but I'm honest. I'm told that Chicago is the poster child for voter fraud, where event he dead vote multiple times.

Of course, only a Republican could do that, NEVER a Democrat.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Yeah...no.

It isn't "rife" within the system. It is extremely rare, actually.

Between 2000 and 2010, there were a whopping THIRTEEN confirmed and convicted cases of voter fraud. There were 47,000 cases of UFO sightings in the same time frame.

Truth about fraud

Voter fraud statistics

The lie that there is a voter fraud problem is believed by many and blabbed across the internet and via the media. But it's not true. It is, however, a lie of convenience when you want to pass laws to make it harder for certain classes/races/party members to vote.

On the other hand, a political party actually hiring a company that commits such fraud is a whole 'nother story.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're talking about two different things.
Both parties hire companies, or sponsor groups, to try to sign up unregistered people in areas where they think the result would be more new voters in their favor than the opposition. It's a reasonable tactic and in general good for the country to increase participation. I don't think either party should be blamed for trying to do this.

The problem is the people hired to do this sometimes are paid by the head count, but at least get paid to produce... that invites cheating. Over zealous volunteers, have the same temptation. This is bad because it's a waste of the taxpayers money when the lists are faked.

The safety net is supposed to be the election officials that verify and validate the lists the hunter/gatherers turn in. This is the point where it becomes a big problem if the officials are sloppy, bias, or down right dishonest.

In order to blame the republicans in this case, even if they told the company to only sign up Republicans, (which doesn't seem the case), they are only guilty if they are colluding with the election officials to disqualify valid voters or qualify ineligible voters, (which doesn't seem to be the case either). Like the big brouhaha about Acorn, it's political mudslinging. The ones we have to keep an eye on is the election officials.

Everyone I meet, has some anecdotal evidence about dead voters voting and multiple voting for fun & profit, but there doesn't seem to be much hard evidence of that. Saying they did a check of the voter registration rolls and found X number of dead people, doesn't mean they voted. As a matter of fact, with turnouts south of 60% at best, and usually less than 40%, it's a pretty good bet they didn't.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
Between 2000 and 2010, there were a whopping THIRTEEN confirmed and convicted cases of voter fraud. There were 47,000 cases of UFO sightings in the same time frame.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Recently, a wacko extremist advocated shark nets at the entrance of all rivers. Because sharks have gone up rivers and killed swimmers. Tank god for soundbytes. Otherwise we would only have hate, fear, and ignorance.

Last edited by tw; 10-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post

Obama for Dog Catcher in 2013!
Well, if Republicans continue to run dogs of candidates like Romney, Obama should have no trouble catching them.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Did he look on the roof of the car?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Voter fraud
Quote:
It is extremely rare, actually.
Dunno if it is or not. How many people are arrested for taking office supplies from work? It happens every single day without many prosecutions.
jus sayin.

One way to curb it would be to have them identify themselves with say oh lets see, maybe a photo ID.