all hollowed out

sorry it was a really cool pic, too
Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #62
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
dammit don't know how to do this
Ok if you want to post a pic go and up load your pics to a pic hosting web site like photobucket or imageshack or any of the other million places. Yea you need to register and create an account. Then you copy and paste the URL to the little popup box that comes out when you press the little thing up on the box where you write messages that looks like a postcard. Copy and past the URL to that box. Enter. Submit reply. your pic will occur on the thread.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #63
binky
all hollowed out

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Ok if you want to post a pic go and up load your pics to a pic hosting web site like photobucket or imageshack or any of the other million places. Yea you need to register and create an account. Then you copy and paste the URL to the little popup box that comes out when you press the little thing up on the box where you write messages that looks like a postcard. Copy and past the URL to that box. Enter. Submit reply. your pic will occur on the thread.
Okay ty merc, will try again tomorrow- in the midst of my 6 graders homework right now
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #64
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Let me see if I can help you out IB (even though I get the feeling that you're not very.. fond, of me). What kind of camera are you using? Metering mode? White balance? Tripod? Shutter and Ap.? All that stuff.
Picture
Make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Model: E-330
Shutter Speed: 1/30 second
F Number: F/4.5
Focal Length: 14 mm
ISO Speed: 320
Date Picture Taken: Aug 9, 2007, 6:46:10 PM

And why wouldn't I be fond of you? Did i get in a fight with you that I forgot about?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #65
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Just a hunch I guess. Glad to see I'm wrong.

On to the photography!

First off, if you can work out a tripod or some hard level surface that's always a plus. I don't know how much info like this you already know so I apologize ahead of time if this is old news to you. Anyway, a tripod will help you keep things level and allow you to mess with longer shutter speeds if you so desire. Keep the ISO as low as possible, unless you're after a grainy film look. Keep your eyes open for something to frame the scene with like a pier, a fishing boat, an outcropping of rocks, a lone couple walking, etc.

As for the sunset its self, try under exposing and leaving the white balance on auto. If it looks a little too "cool", set the WB to cloudy and see what that does for you. You always want to expose your shot for the sky, not the ground/sea. Try at first setting your aperture to as small # as it gets. If there is a lot of detail in the clouds that you want to capture, bump it up to whatever the sweet spot is (the aperture that gives the sharpest images) for the lens you're using. For most it's around f/8-11. Don't be afraid to zoom in a bit too. Capture a silhouetted sailboat near the sun, etc. Also try going on Google Earth and looking for good, high vantage points where you can get some city skyline in.

The sunset is constantly changing, so keep checking your settings and reviewing your shots so you can continue to make adjustments as needed. If you have or know anyone with some filters, give those a whirl. I've seen some neat stuff done with warming and cooling filters that really capture the mood of the scene well.

If you have Photoshop and a RAW conversion program, try shooting in RAW and messing with the white balance on your computer. I'm not a huge fan of extreme post-processing in PS. But obviously there are many adjustments you can make to your images in that.

Skip the camera's creative modes and go full manual; you'll learn more and become more confident in your ability to get exactly the shot you envision.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #66
wolfd
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Thumbs up

Thanks for the beautiful pictures gang!!
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #67
paddlegal
Abhorrent Aberrant

Picture

Well I tried the advice, here I am clicking the Insert Image icon and pasted the url of my picture and I'm still getting this.....

Anybody know what's wrong?
paddlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #68
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlegal View Post
Well I tried the advice, here I am clicking the Insert Image icon and pasted the url of my picture and I'm still getting this.....

Anybody know what's wrong?

I used the complete address they provide at good-times, but it's for the thumbnail and you have to click on it for the big picture.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #69
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

OT - paddlegal: is it "padd legal" or "paddle gal"?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #70
jester
why so serious

I get mine thru the little "paperclip" manage attachments and upload the pics from "My Pictures". Sometimes though I have to compress my pics because the file is larger than what is allowed.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #71
TheMercenary

Quote:
Just a hunch I guess. Glad to see I'm wrong.

On to the photography!

First off, if you can work out a tripod or some hard level surface that's always a plus. I don't know how much info like this you already know so I apologize ahead of time if this is old news to you. Anyway, a tripod will help you keep things level and allow you to mess with longer shutter speeds if you so desire. Keep the ISO as low as possible, unless you're after a grainy film look. Keep your eyes open for something to frame the scene with like a pier, a fishing boat, an outcropping of rocks, a lone couple walking, etc.

As for the sunset its self, try under exposing and leaving the white balance on auto. If it looks a little too "cool", set the WB to cloudy and see what that does for you. You always want to expose your shot for the sky, not the ground/sea. Try at first setting your aperture to as small # as it gets. If there is a lot of detail in the clouds that you want to capture, bump it up to whatever the sweet spot is (the aperture that gives the sharpest images) for the lens you're using. For most it's around f/8-11. Don't be afraid to zoom in a bit too. Capture a silhouetted sailboat near the sun, etc. Also try going on Google Earth and looking for good, high vantage points where you can get some city skyline in.

The sunset is constantly changing, so keep checking your settings and reviewing your shots so you can continue to make adjustments as needed. If you have or know anyone with some filters, give those a whirl. I've seen some neat stuff done with warming and cooling filters that really capture the mood of the scene well.

If you have Photoshop and a RAW conversion program, try shooting in RAW and messing with the white balance on your computer. I'm not a huge fan of extreme post-processing in PS. But obviously there are many adjustments you can make to your images in that.

Skip the camera's creative modes and go full manual; you'll learn more and become more confident in your ability to get exactly the shot you envision.
Dawn Thread, "sunset".... Dawn Thread, "sunset".... Dawn Thread... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... Ok.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #72
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Dawn Thread, "sunset".... Dawn Thread, "sunset".... Dawn Thread... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... Ok.
I was trying to help Ibram get better sunset shots since he commented about them being so good but his shots not quite capturing them. Though it is applicable for sunrises too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
However, we have some fairly impressive sunsets around here that i honestly just can not get on photograph. I can't capture the full range of colours and light that I see out there on camera.
Happy smartass?

Last edited by Bullitt; 09-29-2007 at 03:48 AM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #73
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
OT - paddlegal: is it "padd legal" or "paddle gal"?
I wondered, briefly, about the same division. I have settled on the kayaker image.

eta: review of profile confirms my hypothesis.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #74
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Dawn from my back verandah

Dusk at Hamilton Island...

Dusk at Mindel Beach, Darwin

DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #75
TheMercenary

Quote:
I was trying to help Ibram get better sunset shots since he commented about them being so good but his shots not quite capturing them. Though it is applicable for sunrises too.

Happy smartass?
: