The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #76
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From.
Quote:
• According to a survey by AutoVantage (an auto club like AAA), Miami, Florida, is the city with the rudest drivers.

• A Cornell University study determined that New York City has the lowest quality of housing. The World Health Organization says that New York is also the noisiest city in the United States.

• Because of high divorce and unemployment rates and consistently gloomy weather, the city statistics analyzing firm BestPlaces named Tacoma, Washington, the country's most stressful place to live.

• Breathe easy if you don't live in these places: Greenville, South Carolina (where residents suffer the most respiratory tract infections); Scranton, Pennsylvania (the worst city for asthma sufferers); and Tulsa, Oklahoma (the pollen capital of America).

• Based on the number of accidents and fatalities, the International Federation of Bike Messenger Associations named Boston the most dangerous place to ride a bike.

• Zero, a group dedicated to slowing population growth, determined what cities were the best and worst in which to raise children based on the quality of healthcare, education, public safety, transportation, the job market, and the natural environment. The best was Fargo, North Dakota; the worst was Newark, New Jersey.

• According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, Sarasota, Florida, is the city most hostile toward homeless people.

• Forbes magazine named Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the worst city for single people. Reasons: expensive beer, few nightclubs, and not enough single people.

• Worst traffic congestion: Los Angeles. (Not coincidentally, it also has the worst air pollution.)

• City with the bumpiest, most pothole-infested roads: Seattle.

• In 2007 Men's Health magazine analyzed various cities' obesity rates, eating habits, and other data, including how much time people spend exercising and sitting in traffic. Result: Las Vegas was judged the nation's "fattest city."

• The city with the most suicides per capita is Medford, Oregon.

• Decatur, Illinois, has the highest skin cancer fatality rate.

• America's most rat-infested city is Baltimore.

• New Orleans leads in both gun- and diabetes-related deaths per capita.

• Hallmark Cards call El Paso, Texas, the city with the worst sense of humor, based on polls in which very few people said they considered themselves funny. (The city also has very low sales of Hallmark's humorous cards.)

• City with the highest percentage of lawyers: Washington, D.C. Nearly 2% of all residents are attorneys.

• According to the book Cities Ranked and Rated, the worst overall city in America is Modesto, California. The city scored a 0 on the book's 100-point scale for its high cost of living, high unemployment rate, lack of activities, and the highest car theft rate in the United States.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #77
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

I hate Los Angeles out of principle, and I've been there once, so I'll go with that.
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #78
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

pretty much any 'city' in West Va.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #79
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
pretty much any 'city' in West Va.
There are cities in West Virginia? I was under the impression it was just full of sheep, and the fuckers thereof.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #80
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

like this?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 05-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #81
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

I lived in WV for about a year. It was right on the Maryland border, my house almost backed right into the Potomac. Ironically enough it's actually called Shepherdstown

Anywho, the town is small enough that you had to either drive 15 minutes east into Hagerstown Maryland or 15 minutes west into Martinsburg WV if you wanted to buy anything. Hagerstown was almost yuppie-ish. Martinsburg was like a freaking trip to Wal-Mart. The stereotypes are correct.

I will always maintain that Kentucky is worse than WV, however. I literally (and I mean the literal use of the word "literally" here) saw a guy at a Wendy's there that had more UK Wildcat commemorative pins in his hat than he had teeth in his head, and it wasn't even close.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #82
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

West Virginia. 2 million people; 3 last names.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #83
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

whale, iffen she ain't good enuf fer her own family....

—James Barrie

Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #84
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleschmutz View Post
saw a guy at a Wendy's there that had more UK Wildcat commemorative pins in his hat than he had teeth in his head, and it wasn't even close.
Is having a lot of teeth a sign of intelligence?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #85
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

No. It's the sign of the Dentist.

—James Barrie

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #86
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

I'd argue that having the foresight to spend one's money on dental hygiene instead of commemorative pins for a hat is one of the most basic requirements for other people to think you're capable of intelligent thought. But that's just me.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #87
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

With respect to West Virginia, this from the ABC exit poll was pretty devastating I thought:

"Ninety-five percent of voters in preliminary exit poll results were whites, just under a third were college graduates - among the fewest in any primary this year - and 55 percent had household incomes under $50,000, among the most in primaries to date."

Now none of that suggests that these people's views should not count, but they are not on the cutting edge of America's future nor of the Democratic party's future.

Democratic strategist (and Clinton supporter) Paul Begala warns the party off the idea of relying on "eggheads" and African-Americans as the only way to go, but the fact is that Obama could write off West Virginia and concentrate instead on, say, Colorado, or even Virginia (a much bigger prize).

Eggheads, African-Americans and suburbanites would be a perfect coalition and a winning one. Don't believe me? Go back to the wonderful www.270towin.com/ and do your own math(s)!

--Justin Webb, BBC News

I agree.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #88
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Garabaldi Oregon.....the most ugly wet windy never mind the ocean, place I've ever been to.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #89
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Syracuse NY- Rude drivers, crappy traffic management, crime. I used to work there, and every day I was driving in the city, I saw someone getting beat up. They still have parking meters, and somehow have enough parking cops to tag you the second the flag pops up. Parking is expensive and hard to find.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #90
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Toronto is a beautiful, clean and exciting city. One of the few cities I'd like to spend more time in.