The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-31-2005, 05:33 PM   #61
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

TS and Lady Sidhe live an hour and change NW of New Orleans...hopefully, they and their daughter are doing okay.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #62
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i was just nw of there yesterday, abbeville - just south of lafayette and you couldn't even tell that there was a hurricane. they got the dry side. we really need to worry about busterb. if he didn't leave then.....
Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #63
warch
lurkin old school

Sounds like Houston will be taking lots of refugees.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #64
bargalunan
Abecedarian

A little message to wish courage to people of New Orleans and south of USA in order to face this disaster...

Bye
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 PM   #65
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I was woundering about BusterB today !!??!!

I hope he's ok !!

What am I saying ,, he's to damn onrie to let a little thing like a big wind ruffle his feathers !!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:06 PM   #66
bargalunan
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Where's our military in all of this? Surely, this disaster calls for a strong military response, with all of their hardware, expertise and organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
With the New Orleans flood prevention and disaster preparation money, in Iraq.
I find it's a pity/shame that people have no other efficient federal solution/organisation than military one's.

The 14th of July at the French military parade, our Defense minister was only justifying our army by is ability to help people during natural disasters. She "forgot" mines thrower trucks that were shown for the first time on the Champs Elysées and all kinds of offensive weapons that require most of the money.

Hoping it won't get people used to see the militaries in their streets.
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 PM   #67
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I was thinking along the lines of hovercraft, amphibious vehicles, helicopters, fast patrol boats, big trucks, stuff like that...and the people who are trained to work in harsh conditions while maintaining discipline. Chaos we've got plenty of. There'll be lots of time to plan the next Mardi Gras after we get people out of the festering choleric cesspool and into some clean clothes and a hot meal.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 PM   #68
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargalunan
I find it's a pity/shame that people have no other efficient federal solution/organisation than military one's.
Not so much the Army, etc, as the National Guard. Since the US isn't under the threat of actual invasion, national emergencies really are what the National Guard is for.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #69
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargalunan
It is rare - mostly unheard of - for the miltary to be involved in national disasters. When disasters are extreme, the state's governor can call out the state militia - also called the National Guard.

In this case, the number of people who did not leave are so numerous that even active military response is required.

Even when racists had less than 100 Federal Marshalls pinned down with little ammunition and under heavy arms attack, President Kennedy still stalled at sending Federal Troops to their rescue. When he finally did order it, Gen Abrams took almost a full day to resuce those Federal Marshalls. Use of Federal troops for anything inside the US was generally frowned upon. The change was recently created by this president with something called Northern Command.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:48 AM   #70
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I've been reading nola.com...it's all just...awful.

Quote:
With so much need and so few resources, the weakest and frailest were bound to suffer the most. Seated next to her husband's body on the neutral ground beneath the St. Joseph Street sign, Allie Harris munched on crackers, seemingly unaware of all the tragedy unfolding around her. Eventually, guardsmen loaded her into a truck and hauled her off with other elderly evacuees.

Mr. Harris' body was left behind.

Such a breakdown did not bode well for other evacuees. As the afternoon wore on, hope faded, replaced by anger.

"This is 2005," John Murray shouted, standing in the street near Mr. Harris' body. "It should not be like this for no catastrophe. This is pathetic."
Indeed.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #71
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Can someone explain to me why in the hell people would be shooting at the rescue crews and fire departments? What is going through these people's minds?

Last edited by Kitsune; 09-01-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #72
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Because they are seriously disturbed individuals, taking full advantage of the anarchy which has developed. The only reason these people don't do this every day is because the cops are able to suppress them. Otherwise, they'd be running around the streets with stolen Wal Mart guns shooting people for amusement.

It is sad, but I'm pretty sure that The Powers That Be are going to have to kill a few looters and rogues before things calm down.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #73
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It is sometimes helpful to real anarchists to see what real anarchy looks like.

I for one am never impressed by it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #74
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

these fools WILL learn that they are NOT the big boys on the block when they start getting shot at with .50 cals
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #75
Griff
still says videotape

Of course, the looting is being lead by the NO Police...