The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #46
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I look to be able to balance my checkbook without vomiting this month.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #47
monster
I hear them call the tide

My 5yo has been wanting his hair dyed red for a while. I offered to do it today as i was doing mine while he was around. He ended up going for the full red, purple and blue. It looks great, really suits his personality too... I thought it would either wash straight out or look awful. he looks rather like me, actually, but way cuter.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #48
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
Have you considered opening your own studio? Bringing in a few students? Might be something you could operate on weekends until your clientele builds up.

There's truly nothing so satisfying as having your job and joy be the same thing.
That's a neat idea. I might do that. I thought about teaching art classes for kids. Right now, my studio is in the house, but I am meeting alot of other artists in Denver. We are forming a collective, of sorts, comprised of artists.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #49
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I just spoke to my wife, who is travelling in PR this week.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #50
HungLikeJesus

105 miles per gallon driving to work today. Breaking 100 mpg usually signals the beginning of warm weather.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #51
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

What distance is it to work for you? (I can't remember if you mentioned that already) How does warm weather increase your gas mileage (besides having to let it idle to warm up in the winter)? Is that typical for a Prius? Wow.

Oh, and what's making me happy?

AAAaaahhhh. The silence of a campus that first Monday after finals. Buh-bye annoying obnoxious co-eds. See you in the fall .
Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #52
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post

Oh, and what's making me happy?

AAAaaahhhh. The silence of a campus that first Monday after finals. Buh-bye annoying obnoxious co-eds. See you in the fall .
Lucky you. Finals and graduation last week...summer interim starts today. Classes all the way through. And they close the cafeteria for the summer. Never thought I'd wish I were a cafeteria lady.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #53
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
What distance is it to work for you? (I can't remember if you mentioned that already) How does warm weather increase your gas mileage (besides having to let it idle to warm up in the winter)? Is that typical for a Prius? Wow.
LR - my drive to work is 19 or 20 miles (depending on route). I have an Insight, not a Prius (whenever I see one of those I say "gas hog," which makes my wife laugh).

My house is about 2500 feet higher than where I work, so there is a lot of downhill on the way in. Coming home I usually struggle to get over 50 mpg.

I don't fully understand why the mileage is so much worse in the cold weather (usually under 90 mpg on the commute in). It's partly because everything is tighter when it's cold (bearings, pistons, etc.) and partly because the engine idles very high for the first few minutes. But I almost never let the car warm up. If I could, I'd push it to the end of the driveway and not start it until the bottom of the first hill. But it's really just a game - the Insight game - the difference between 110 mpg and 90 mpg is only about 0.04 gallon for that distance.

I'm about to drive to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I'll see how it does.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #54
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Oh, sorry! I need to google the two.

What do you say when you see an Expedition or H2? --

That reminds me, I saw a black H2 with an Iowa Hawkeye vanity plate "GR1FF" again this morning. I need to bring my camera with me to catch him some morning and give our Griff some shit. Heh.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #55
HungLikeJesus

LR - There is an H1 (which is bigger than an H2) in our parking lot at work. The owner is a skinny little guy who looks like an accountant. One day when I came out to my car he was sitting next to me, then drove over the curb to show off.

My wife calls any SUV a BUT (Big Ugly Truck). And she doesn't say it with affection. Personally, I think SUVs make the driver's butt look big.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #56
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Memories of a decent weekend that included lots of food, good drinks, and a cigar on 7th street in Ybor.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
I don't fully understand why the mileage is so much worse in the cold weather (usually under 90 mpg on the commute in).
Cold air in denser. That means it's harder to push through and more fuel must be added to keep the air fuel ratio the same. Theoretically the denser air with more fuel will make more power but that's a moot point on the downhill. When the tires are cold they use more energy to flex unless they are inflated rock hard. Cold has a lot of insidious ways of killing mileage.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #58
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I'm leaving work early to go to see Pink, and I have a new hot date with a guy that WOULD be good for me.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #59
Cloud

good for you DucksNuts! I like Pink--I think she's talented and underrated. Let us know how the concert/date goes please?

I'm happy 'cause I made delicious homemade chili and I'm gonna have chili-spaghetti for dinner.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #60
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I've just arrived home after 5 days away to find my house amazingly clean considering it's just been my husband and two sons here while I was gone. There were also chocolates and jewelery waiting for me although I'm not going to inspect them closely till they all get home tonight.

My life is good.