The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #256
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Satan called, he said to turn up the A/C.

Name:  dayum.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  45.4 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #257
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This was less than 10 minutes earlier:

Name:  wow.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  35.0 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #258
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

uggghhhh. What is the humidity?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #259
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Still no power here 12 hours after a crazy, spectacular T-storm. Was at a welcome party for new staff and the wind tossed all the tables and tents around like confetti. Now my electronics are all low on battery ... nooooo

Starbucks time. IF Starbucks has power ...
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #260
orthodoc

So much for Starbucks. Going to be 100 today and we've been warned we're likely to run out of tap water. Filling water containers, gonna be checking up on neighbors in this building full of seniors. And dragging my wind-up radio out of storage! Knew it'd come in handy one day ...
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #261
orthodoc

To clarify ... my building isn't entirely full of seniors, because I'm here. And hopefully a few other non-senior types.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #262
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Could be worse Doc ,
This could be your weather
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #263
orthodoc

bring it .... especially Godzilla on Wednesday. He'll get everyone over the hump!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #264
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
uggghhhh. What is the humidity?
RFN:

Name:  rfn.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  18.2 KB

Old 06-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #265
glatt

That storm last night. Holy shit! Worst storm I've been in. My boy was still at camp when it hit there. It blew a couple logs off the final evening bonfire and into the woods. Staff put it out, and my kid and 300 other people spent the night in the dining hall. There's still no power and my phone is just now finally connecting to the internet. At least it's only 95 today and not 105.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #266
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Brighouse gala was rained off. We were on our way over with Soph whose cheerleading squad were doing a display in the gala, when the rain turned heavy again and she got a phone call to say the rest of the gala had been cancelled.

Earlier in the afternoon, it had been glorious sunshine, then total downpour then glorious sunshione again before going back to total downpour.

Diverted off to the tunnel field with carrot and Ruby and let them have a run about. Got totally and completely drenched, for the fourth time today.

We've been relatively unscathed here in Northowram and Stump Cross, but Briggers, Heb and Elland have all flooded badly.

Hail storms with with hail big enough to smash car windows the other day, and then the River Calder broke its banks and flooded several towns that run along its path. We've had a couple of deaths. Including one guy who had to abandon his car and then was killed trying to get to safety.

Just saw on the news that during the worst of it, Gateshead up in Northumberland, which has also been hit by bad floods, got a month's worth of rain in 2 hours.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #267
orthodoc

I heard VA/DC got hit hardest, although there was a confirmed tornado in OH. Some areas there may not get power back until July 7.

Still no power here. But as long as there's running water I'm a happy camper (sorry, Glatt! But I bet the boys had a good time, right?)!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #268
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The "Waldo Fire" west of Colorado Springs, CO is being called
the most destructive fire in the state's history, with loss of > 340 homes.

This is the "heat periphery" of the fire at about 6 pm MST today.

Name:  Waldo.jpg_120630.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  117.7 KB
The pic below is simply the Google map of approx the same area.

Name:  ColoradoSpr.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  172.9 KB

For those interested in such wildfires, here is a link to
the Incident Information System that gives up to date information on US fires.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #269
orthodoc

Oh, no. I've been following the High Park fire west of Fort Collins - my daughter is out there - but hadn't heard about the Waldo Canyon fire. 32,000 evacuated already.

Thanks for the link, Lamplighter. It's a definite bookmark.

On a happier note: power's back on! Hooray!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #270
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

There are so many, millions without power. I was lucky, power back on around 7 last night, just a few hours out. I was at work as it hit my area. Got caught in a torrential downpour as it hit my woork as I was heading out. Mom and dad power out for a day. This was a biggie. I hope our eastern dwellars are ok. Thinking about you all. Check in, ok?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote