The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
rkzenrage

You Go Boy, Drop That Pump

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/gas....ap/index.html

Fed up station owner shuts off gas pumps
Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Maria McClory, 38, drove 10 miles out of her way to buy a diet soda from Pollack's station after seeing local television coverage of the protest.

"I just wanted to support them and thank them for making a statement," said McClory, who drives about 100 miles a day for work in her sport utility vehicle.
Quote:
Schwartz called that [price] "outrageous" and said even he can't fill up his SUV at that price.
Boo hoo.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Schwartz called that "outrageous" and said even he can't fill up his SUV at that price.

"If it keeps going like this, my kids will never be able to afford to drive," said Schwartz, who has an 18-year-old son and 15-year-old daughter.
Poor Mr. Schwartz. He's got the pieces, but can't seem to put them together.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It is hard serving people who earn so much more money than you. Poor chap can't afford to fill up his SUV and yet one of his customers can afford to drive 10 miles out of her way just to buy a soda. Must be tough.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
jinx
Come on, cat.

He's trying to make a point, shame so many are missing it. Or are you willing to pay higher prices just to see suv owners get fucked?

Quote:
"Somebody out there is making money at these prices, but not me," said Pollack, 57. "So I just thought: What can I do to help the consumer?"
Old 05-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What he's doing (did) won't help in itself. But if he makes an impression on enough people, people that will say fuck this, I'm going to make a conscious effort to buy (use) less gas. Then he's a hero.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

What's amazing is that the system is geared to his disadvantage. Everyone else in the chain, the government, the credit card companies, etc, works on a percentage. His markup is probably the same 8-12 cents a gallon whether gas is $2 or $4 per gallon. However, if there is such a thing as shrinkage, the loss of gas through evaporation (hopefully not), theft, etc, then those costs will continue to rise. He may end up making the same flat price on a more and more expensive product.

Making a $4 markup on a $20 watch is not too bad. Making a $4 markup on a $400 watch is a reason to walk away.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
He's trying to make a point, shame so many are missing it. Or are you willing to pay higher prices just to see suv owners get fucked?
Yes.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What he's doing (did) won't help in itself. But if he makes an impression on enough people, people that will say fuck this, I'm going to make a conscious effort to buy (use) less gas. Then he's a hero.
Buying less gas means buying less everything - which can be really hard when everything is shipped from china, over-packaged, and designed to break 2 days after the warranty expires. The gas you put in your vehicle is a small part of a huge picture. Buying a prius is a finger in the dyke solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlj
Yes.
Brilliant. Really.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
rkzenrage

People who have issues with SUVs crack me up. Ill informed and narrow minded.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
We loved our H2's. Great truck. Great tax break as well!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
rkzenrage

And our H3 gets better mileage then our van and truck... people are idiots.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I don't have issues with SUVs, myself. I do have issues with people who buy gas-guzzlers and then complain about the price of gas. In the grand scheme of the middle class budget, as well as compared to the rest of the world, our gas prices are irrelevantly low. When people change their buying habits because of the price of gas--not bitch and moan about how they'll have to change soon, but actually change them--then gas prices will be relevant.

Gas costs what it costs. Paying too close attention to the day-to-day fluctuations is just going to give you high blood pressure. The price will forever continue to go up because of inflation, while the inflation-adjusted price will most likely cycle downward in another 4 or 5 years when our relationship with the mideast hits another stride. Meanwhile, alternative energies will continue to be refined, and even in the absence of innovation may eventually become more affordable by comparison if nothing else.

This guy may have a legitimate point, especially in regards to how small gas station owners get screwed by tiny margins while the oil suppliers get rich, but his protest had about as much effect as a car ribbon.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Gas is still cheaper than Coke. Which is water. From a hose. And some other stuff that costs about three cents.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Buying less gas means buying less everything - which can be really hard when everything is shipped from china, over-packaged, and designed to break 2 days after the warranty expires. The gas you put in your vehicle is a small part of a huge picture. Buying a prius is a finger in the dyke solution.

Brilliant. Really.
I assumed, jinx, that you wanted an honest response. That was about as straight an answer as I could give.

I'm certainly willing to listen to someone who can explain why increasing fuel consumption isn't a significant factor in high gas prices. Refineries are running at capacity; oil output from most of the world's oil fields is running near capacity; American average fuel efficiency has been declining for many years - largely due to increased use of SUVs, vans and trucks - meaning more fuel use. So, if the drivers of high consumption vehicles (which I would arbitrarily say would be anything that gets less than 20 mpg) are a major contributing factor in high gas prices, they should suffer the effects of those high prices.

If you are concerned about the price of gas, the simple solution is to use less - either by driving less or by driving a vehicle that doesn't need as much gas. To drive 15,000 miles in a car getting 67 miles per gallon requires 224 gallons. To drive the same 15,000 miles in a car getting 15 mpg would use 1000 gallons. At $3.30/gallon, the SUV cost an extra $2500 to drive that same distance. Alternatively, the SUV could go 3,360 miles on the amount of gas that the Insight used to go 15,000 miles.

Below, I've quoted some of the responses from SUV owners, which are, so far, defensive, and don't explain why high consumption vehicles aren't responsible for the increased prices.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
We loved our H2's. Great truck. Great tax break as well!
Quote:
And our H3 gets better mileage then our van and truck... people are idiots.
I didn't quote Clodfobble or Beestie, but I thought that they made some good points.

[In the interest of full disclosure - I worked as an engineer in the automotive industry for 14 years. I became frustrated that they had no interest in fuel-efficient vehicles, so I left and started over in renewable energy.]

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote